PDA

View Full Version : big ram rumour

bridger
09-23-2010, 07:22 AM
there is a rumour going around the local sheep community that one the outfitters took a ram close to 50" and scoring over 185. anyone have any solid info?

KodiakHntr
09-23-2010, 08:54 AM
Stone?

Saw some pics in August of a Dall that went well over 50", but that came out of Alaska.

My bad, it went 48"....

Stone Sheep Steve
09-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Heard the same thing .....but pictures are lacking.
Until then it's just a rumour.
Boxhitch should be home in a couple of weeks. Maybe we'll find out then....or maybe he'll be sworn to secrecy:?

SSS

kootenayelkslayer
09-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Saw some pics in August of a Dall that went well over 50", but that came out of Alaska.

A 50" dall?? Where did you see that? Still have the pictures?

NaStY
09-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Ok guys this is a legit thread. No point in high jacking it any further. Start your own if you feel the need please.....

358mag
09-23-2010, 07:52 PM
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q99/Pole-Lock/SubsistanceRam1.jpg

sheephunter17
09-23-2010, 07:59 PM
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q99/Pole-Lock/SubsistanceRam1.jpg

holy sheep shit thats what i call a heck of a RAM!

Brew
09-23-2010, 08:07 PM
WOW. Thats crazy. are they transplanting marco polo rams here now?

Casagrande
09-23-2010, 08:12 PM
I've found my next kitchen colour!

Alpine85
09-23-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm sure its not the only sheep of that caliber running around the Wrangell St. Elias National Park. No doubt it is a great subsistence ram though!

mark
09-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Looks to be legal by age and length, Id shoot it! :shock:

blackbart
09-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Oustanding attributes to both the ram and the details of the photo composition.

With a cork screw like that who the hell cares what colour the kitchen cabinets are!

Anyone know of some of the hunt details - not location, just how it went down. Photo's suggest something different than a rich americano on a guided hunt. I am pretty sure that most of the Safari Club type dudes wouldn't be letting that set of horns parade around without supervision.

vortex
09-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Bridger, I also heard the 50" stone rumours through some wranglers that were trailing out from the middle of nowhere last week. The outfitter could use a bit of good luck to balance out some of the bad he's had in his time.

Alpine85
09-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Oustanding attributes to both the ram and the details of the photo composition.

With a cork screw like that who the hell cares what colour the kitchen cabinets are!

Anyone know of some of the hunt details - not location, just how it went down. Photo's suggest something different than a rich americano on a guided hunt. I am pretty sure that most of the Safari Club type dudes wouldn't be letting that set of horns parade around without supervision.

It was killed by a hunter who is able to hunt the Wrangell St. Elias National Park for sustenance. Didn't here much on details other then its' right around the 180" mark....

On another note, that guy on the right is a bloody giant.... "outside killing seagalls with a rake"

Alpine85
09-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Bridger, I also heard the 50" stone rumours through some wranglers that were trailing out from the middle of nowhere last week. The outfitter could use a bit of good luck to balance out some of the bad he's had in his time.

I heard it was the first ram she ever guided to.

born2hunt
09-23-2010, 09:08 PM
heck with the ram lol i want there interior decorator the colours are amazing ROFL,

vortex
09-23-2010, 09:11 PM
I heard it was the first ram she ever guided to.
I heard that too. Good on her if the rumours true!:-D

BromBones
09-23-2010, 09:20 PM
I'll shit my pants the day a 50'' ram comes into view of my spotting scope.

Hope to have some more details soon

moose2
09-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Looks to be legal by age and length, Id shoot it! :shock:

The one on the shed above the horse shoe isn't

bridger
09-24-2010, 03:42 AM

thanks I heard it was supposedly taken from williston lake or the trench. guess if it is actually is a fact the story will come out eventually.

Brambles
09-24-2010, 06:18 AM
Nice Ram but Sustinance hunting in a National Park for trophy sheep???? Doesn't sound quite right to me.

Gateholio
09-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Nice Ram but Sustinance hunting in a National Park for trophy sheep???? Doesn't sound quite right to me.

I wondered about that but then I figured that it's probbaly better for the overall sheep herd to kill an old fella than one in prime breeding age/condition anyway.

crazysheephunter
09-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Remember years ago,there was a status hunter that killed a Record Bighorn at a feeding station along the highway,with a bow,well the CO's and Ministry didnt think that if a person was hunting for sustinance,that there was no need to drive for 3 hours to hunt and kill a record animal,so they took it away, and the city of Salmo actually made a Bronze statue of the animal. I also know of another story of a guy that killed a trophy Muledeer in its winter grounds, and was bragging about his trophy,when apparently he was supposed to be hunting for his daily meal. Im not against hunting for sustinance,just think that they maybe need to sit down and rethink it,maybe females only or imature males.There is always going to be mixed emotions on this subject,and i also think if they are hunting trophy's for sustinance that they should do it the old way, with a traditional style bow/spear,bareback on a horse.

09-24-2010, 10:29 AM
If this is a Ram that was killed in a Park, and for sustenance, Big Flippin Deal on it being big!

Yes, an unbelievable specimen.

Proud hunter ........ Why ?

This is no different then shooting a Ram at a feeding station ........ or Book Elk at an Elk Farm.

If this Ram has been taken in a GOS area, or by fair chase on crown land then .... cool, congrats !

CT

GoatGuy
09-24-2010, 10:59 AM
The talk is a whopper out of scoop. No pictures though, so it's all just heresay.

Tank
09-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Tough to tell by the pics....legal by length for sure. But if he's only 7yrs old he's still a "dink", right?:-D

d6dan
09-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Sounds like this Ram was shot in Alaska and is a Dall Sheep.
48" and 15' bases puts him around 182.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/85995-48-Inch-Ram-!-!

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8521043/m/4011006931

bridger
09-24-2010, 11:43 PM
the speculasion has now sxpanded to two rams. one in alaska killed by a native sustenance hutner in a nationa park an the other a stone taken in fair chase in the keckika river area.

vortex
09-25-2010, 07:28 AM
A friend of mine said he saw pics of the Ketchika ram. Probably not 50" but a beauty none the less. From the pics he guessed 180ish. Apparently taken with a muzzle loader so that may be the "record book #1" type talk.

bridger
09-25-2010, 08:29 AM
the rumour is really flying around fort st john sheep hunting circles so far the only thing for sure is that an exceptional ram was taken off the kechika. also know that two booners were taken from the muskwa as well.

Coming_out_heavy.
09-25-2010, 08:41 AM
the rumour is really flying around fort st john sheep hunting circles so far the only thing for sure is that an exceptional ram was taken off the kechika. also know that two booners were taken from the muskwa as well.

I think those 2 booners from the Muskwa might be these =). One of the rams belongs to a local FN man who was on a guided hunt, and the other ram I believe was shot by a non resident. Both rams were guided by the same guide, and I "think" they were shot together, but I could be mistaken on that part.

Also, they werent shot on the Muskwa, not far away though.

If anyone ever looks through their spotting scope and sees a man behind a bush making love to himself, its me, and it means I just shot a ram like one of these.

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy311/Coming_out_heavy/IMG_0901.jpg

Alpine85
09-25-2010, 08:56 AM
WOW!!!! amazing looking rams..

southpaw
09-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Nice rams. Makes a guy hunt harder knowing there are rams out there like these two. Only one more week.

Coming_out_heavy.
09-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Agreed. Its easy to think that all the good rams are shot already, with so much pressure out there. Those big guys still exist, and pics like these are a reminder to stay positive and keep glassing.

Nice rams. Makes a guy hunt harder knowing there are rams out there like these two. Only one more week.

MattB
09-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Anyone hear anything about a 45" and 46" stone that a group of 2 got with riverjet off the tuchodi? Sounds pretty incredible if they got 2 rams that big...

bridger
09-25-2010, 09:30 AM
haven't heard that one. seems like a lot of big rams have been taken this year.

newhunterette
09-25-2010, 09:36 AM
If anyone ever looks through their spotting scope and sees a man behind a bush making love to himself, its me, and it means I just shot a ram like one of these.

okay that was just a little bit too much information.:wink:

Alpine85
09-25-2010, 10:06 AM
okay that was just a little bit too much information.:wink:

No, a little bit to much information would be what he would do to the ram once it was on the ground. :mrgreen:

Maxx
09-25-2010, 10:20 AM
I think those 2 booners from the Muskwa might be these =). One of the rams belongs to a local FN man who was on a guided hunt, and the other ram I believe was shot by a non resident. Both rams were guided by the same guide, and I "think" they were shot together, but I could be mistaken on that part.

WOW, Awesome rams....the "drop" of the ram on the right is UNREAL.

Kody94
09-28-2010, 06:54 PM

Those are real purty rams for sure!

Moose Guide
09-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Remember years ago,there was a status hunter that killed a Record Bighorn at a feeding station along the highway,with a bow,well the CO's and Ministry didnt think that if a person was hunting for sustinance,that there was no need to drive for 3 hours to hunt and kill a record animal,so they took it away, and the city of Salmo actually made a Bronze statue of the animal. I also know of another story of a guy that killed a trophy Muledeer in its winter grounds, and was bragging about his trophy,when apparently he was supposed to be hunting for his daily meal. Im not against hunting for sustinance,just think that they maybe need to sit down and rethink it,maybe females only or imature males.There is always going to be mixed emotions on this subject,and i also think if they are hunting trophy's for sustinance that they should do it the old way, with a traditional style bow/spear,bareback on a horse.

The bronze was done by Rick Taylor of Kaslo and is actually a 1 1/8 size replica of the world record from Alberta(the actual horns were lost in a house fire) Rick also did the deer at the Edmonton Airport!

BCrams
09-28-2010, 09:52 PM
the speculasion has now sxpanded to two rams. one in alaska killed by a native sustenance hutner in a nationa park an the other a stone taken in fair chase in the keckika river area.

Scoop Lake outfitters is the talk of where it came from.

bridger
09-28-2010, 09:54 PM
that is the latest scuttlebut alright. be interesting to see when it surfaces.

whitetailsheds
09-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Probably not what everyone is looking for but saw a trophy of another kind, the Stones kind.
Pretty heavy (15"bases), full curl (couple inches above the nose), and 7 years old! Yes....seven....
Supposedly 174....
Working on pics!

Rubicon500
09-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Well my source was standing there when the scoop lake ram was shot and measured , it was the first ram his daughter ever guided to. I dont know the man personally but he is good friends with a co-worker, neither are sheep nuts so they arent to worried about passing pictures on and probably dont want them plasterd over the net. Indeed it was right around 50 " mark. I was there when he was on the phone with the guy, it was not a misunderstanding or nothing. Alot of people are not into emailing pictures as well, you know how it goes you send it to a friend and next thing you know 20 random people have photos of your trophy.

Kirby
09-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Alot of people are not into emailing pictures as well, you know how it goes you send it to a friend and next thing you know 20 random people have photos of your trophy.

And the next thing they know they are being accused of poaching, un-ethical hunting or some other bull shit crap from armchair critics.

Kirby

huntcoop
09-29-2010, 12:36 PM
And the next thing they know they are being accused of poaching, un-ethical hunting or some other bull shit crap from armchair critics.

Kirby

Or making the accusation that it has not yet celebrated it's 8th birthday :mrgreen:

bridger
09-29-2010, 12:38 PM
the scoop lake story is the one I heard as well. if the ram is that big it won`t be a secret very long.

boxhitch
10-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Well my source was standing there when the scoop lake ram was shot and measured , it was the first ram his daughter ever guided to. I dont know the man personally but he is good friends with a co-worker, neither are sheep nuts so they arent to worried about passing pictures on and probably dont want them plasterd over the net. Indeed it was right around 50 " mark. I was there when he was on the phone with the guy, it was not a misunderstanding or nothing. Alot of people are not into emailing pictures as well, you know how it goes you send it to a friend and next thing you know 20 random people have photos of your trophy.Don't eat that, its $hit.
Might want to clarify things with your 'source' and/or the guy on the phone.

boxhitch
10-17-2010, 06:59 PM
A friend of mine said he saw pics of the Ketchika ram. Probably not 50" but a beauty none the less. From the pics he guessed 180ish. Apparently taken with a muzzle loader so that may be the "record book #1" type talk.Friends huh ?

358mag
10-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Friends huh ?
Welcome back hope you had a good season up "north " sure more than a few storys to be told

boxhitch
10-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Bridger, I also heard the 50" stone rumours through some wranglers that were trailing out from the middle of nowhere last week. The outfitter could use a bit of good luck to balance out some of the bad he's had in his time.nowhere creek 50"
sounds familiar

boxhitch
10-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Welcome back hope you had a good season up "north " sure more than a few storys to be toldNot much in my camps, decent luck, nice 360ish caribou ( a first for that spot).
Had a nice ram offering from the hunt gods, but the timing was wrong to fill my tag.

vortex
10-17-2010, 07:28 PM
nowhere creek 50"
sounds familiar
I guess wranglers along a river 125 miles west of Norman Wells were more in touch with the outside world than I am...

Deadshot
10-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Hey, Boxhitch.
Was Rachel the guide?
Just chippin away.:-D

boxhitch
10-17-2010, 08:02 PM
She did guide this year, to a nice sheep, and goats and ...
no booners

bforce750
10-18-2010, 08:48 AM
My friends just got back two days ago from their Salmo sheep draw,they got a ram that green scores over 190 !!!! It's a hawg,Sorry no pics but if you are at the East Koots big game banquet you will get to see it.

averagejoe
10-21-2010, 09:28 AM
My friends just got back two days ago from their Salmo sheep draw,they got a ram that green scores over 190 !!!! It's a hawg,Sorry no pics but if you are at the East Koots big game banquet you will get to see it.

shes a lucky girl thats a big ram. dosnt really look 190. big bases. i have a picture of it. how long is it do you know?

GoatGuy
10-21-2010, 10:28 AM
shes a lucky girl thats a big ram. dosnt really look 190. big bases. i have a picture of it. how long is it do you know?

38"..............

BCrams
10-21-2010, 10:42 AM
At least the Salmo success will keep the masses applying for that permit.

They earned it by taking a nice ram.

averagejoe
10-21-2010, 10:50 AM
what were the bases

bforce750
10-21-2010, 10:56 AM
At least the Salmo success will keep the masses applying for that permit.

They earned it by taking a nice ram.

They sure did,I don't know the ecxact measurements of the bases.

willy442
10-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Has anyone got a photo of this big Stone yet?

bridger
10-29-2010, 10:50 AM
a couple of guys in fsjohn have pics of the big stone ram killed apparently 48 1/2 inches haven't seen dthe pics myself am in kamloops forf knee surgery will track it down when i get home

dutchie
10-29-2010, 10:59 AM
a couple of guys in fsjohn have pics of the big stone ram killed apparently 48 1/2 inches haven't seen dthe pics myself am in kamloops forf knee surgery will track it down when i get home

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I wonder if the ram was known to Scoop lake or if they stumbled upon it and there was one lucky hunter...

Or if the guy paid more for the hawg... either way you know Scoop Lakes area is going to be hit hard by hunters if that is the case!

48.5" ram.... wow

Dutchie

Mountain Man
10-29-2010, 11:08 AM
The girl who guided her first stone sheep for scoop this year is a friend of mine from Kelowna. She cam out after the season and heard of all theses rumors about her guiding a huge stone !!!She did indeed guide her first sheep kill this fall and its an average ram.

She is very excited of her accomplishments as she has been a wrangler for scoop for a few years and this was her first full season one on one guiding.

She had a great fall. I told her of the rumors on here and told her to join so the information is not second hand.

willy442
10-29-2010, 03:58 PM
The girl who guided her first stone sheep for scoop this year is a friend of mine from Kelowna. She cam out after the season and heard of all theses rumors about her guiding a huge stone !!!She did indeed guide her first sheep kill this fall and its an average ram.

She is very excited of her accomplishments as she has been a wrangler for scoop for a few years and this was her first full season one on one guiding.

She had a great fall. I told her of the rumors on here and told her to join so the information is not second hand.

I don't as of yet have the full story on the ram, but should have soon. I do have photo's but have been asked not to publish them on here. I can say one thing the ram was taken and it is BIG<BIG<BIG

d6dan
10-29-2010, 04:05 PM

I wonder if thats the same girl that SSS and BCRams ran into on their hunt?.:?

boxhitch
10-29-2010, 10:27 PM
I wonder if thats the same girl that SSS and BCRams ran into on their hunt?.:?No it isn't

Stone Sheep Steve
10-30-2010, 03:40 AM
No it isn't

Party pooper:p. What's wrong with keeping them guessing??:wink:

SSS

21guns
10-30-2010, 09:22 AM
what were the bases
17 5/8" bases 40 2/8 long i may have a pic!

Mountain Man
10-30-2010, 10:33 AM
I don't as of yet have the full story on the ram, but should have soon. I do have photo's but have been asked not to publish them on here. I can say one thing the ram was taken and it is BIG<BIG<BIG

Are we taliking about the same girl same outfitt :confused:, I do know her she came and told me about her full season. The one she guided by all means is a nice ram but its not huge !!!

Mountain Man
10-30-2010, 10:36 AM
I wonder if thats the same girl that SSS and BCRams ran into on their hunt?.:?

No its not I spoke with SSS, similar story. I know of a few women that are sheep guides :-D There on my e-mail list and talk with them often. There not on HBC though. I guess they have better things to then us, lol :wink:

Mountain Man
10-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Party pooper:p. What's wrong with keeping them guessing??:wink:

SSS

lol,

Ya no this girl is blonde, good looking and wears chaps and a bikini top when she is working.................hmm lets see what that starts ???

goatdancer
10-30-2010, 03:49 PM
lol,

Ya no this girl is blonde, good looking and wears chaps and a bikini top when she is working.................hmm lets see what that starts ???

So where are the pictures?

proguide66
10-30-2010, 04:29 PM
lol,

OK it started lots...now gimmer her email so she can help finnish !!!:twisted::mrgreen:

budismyhorse
10-30-2010, 07:40 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/big_stone.jpg

I don't know SFA about this ram......it was a random email.....

Buck
10-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man
lol,

So where are the pictures?

I concur to hell with the Ram.Wheres the pics

MattB
10-30-2010, 08:27 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/big_stone.jpg

I don't know SFA about this ram......it was a random email.....
Last years ram from dueling stone outfitters...

Deadshot
10-31-2010, 10:16 PM
lol,

I had the pleasure this summer.
Short of a full curl, definitely the prettiest thing I've seen in the mountains!
Chaps & a bikini would have f*&ked the entire hunt up.:mrgreen:

troutseeker
10-31-2010, 11:27 PM
Chaps are for village people, not mountain people. C'mon guys, get it right!

I say, Young Man, lalala lalala...

Kody94
02-15-2011, 06:38 PM
So, why no ram pics and no hot lady guide pics?? Somebody's got to have them besides Willy.

boxhitch
02-15-2011, 09:45 PM
Can't pic what didn't happen

Old Crow
02-15-2011, 10:34 PM
So how many rams we talking about here? The ''subsistence'' ram from Alaska, a Bighorn from Salmo, a pair from Muskwa, and a Stones from Scoop?
Man, this thread backtracks more than a politician talking about gay rights. :D

just hunt
01-26-2013, 09:35 PM
the scoop lake story is the one I heard as well. if the ram is that big it won`t be a secret very long.

So dose anyone have any info on this ram. sure would like to see a pic or two.