PDA

View Full Version : Fogged up scope

Raven
09-22-2010, 11:34 PM
I was out hunting in the rain earlier in the month and after a day out my scope fogged up from the inside. It's a really old Burris, probably around the same age as the rifle (made in 1979) so I'm not too upset about it. But would this happen to a new scope made by a quality brand such a Leupold? Are these new ones truly waterproof?

Thanks, Raven.

lilhoss
09-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Had it happen to my Simmons 3x9,twice over the years.Bought in the ealry 90's.They replaced it with a new scope the last time.Been good ever since.I don't think any thing is truly waterproof.

Mr. Dean
09-23-2010, 01:45 AM
I've owned and abused a few Bushnell 3200's over the years. Not one has leaked. The oldest is ~8 years old and sits on top of my 'go to' deer rifle.

I've recently acquired a VX3 Leupold, but haven't abused it yet [other than range work] - Me thinks it'll work fine though.

bridger
09-23-2010, 05:46 AM
I have been putting leuupold scopes through the torture test for 40 yeares and have never had one fog up. I have now have seven on various rifles and have had really good luck with them. have packed them on a horse through days of rain, in a riverboat, quad, snowmachine and truck and a back pack. never had a problem.

Steeleco
09-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Get yourself a Leupold, you won't be upset about your purchase. Also contact Burris, they too have a great warranty. Despite the border issues, I had one fixed a few years back. Out and back in only a couple of weeks.

300mag
09-23-2010, 07:31 AM
I have Leupold VxII and Bushnell 3200`s on my rifles. Never an issue. I have a Leupold on my Mtn Rifle. Its outside, for the entire hunt of at least 10 days( rain & shine). Never had a problem.

rocksteady
09-23-2010, 07:47 AM
I just had the same issue occur with my Redfield that I bought in 1990...

Now that Redfield is building scopes again, I plan to email them and see if they will warranty this one....

Til this year it has been an awesome scope, taking all the punishment of hardcore hunting that I do without an issue...

springpin
09-23-2010, 08:12 PM
had a Bushnell Banne rfrom '74 that finally fogged up last season...bought another Bushnell.

bigshooter
09-23-2010, 08:18 PM
You get what you pay for, but a quality scope can be had for $300.00, leupold or bushnell are good everyday scopes.

Gateholio
09-23-2010, 08:41 PM
A scope that is fogged internally has broken seals and is pooched except for hunting in the desert on warm days. Get a Leupold.

shawnwells
09-23-2010, 09:04 PM
dude...ive had that problem....get the burris warranty information and send it in no recipt nothin...i bet they send you a new one...even tho you might wanna upgrade...you'llfind that all these companies try to uphold their name and are really great about it..

Raven
06-25-2011, 07:24 PM
A long delayed update on this - I sent my 30+ year old Burris scoped back to them because of the fogging issue and they replaced it with a new Fullfield 2, no questions asked. That's a pretty good warranty!