PDA

View Full Version : Coho water

FlyFishBC
09-22-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm hoping to go fish this year on the vedder but i'm not sure what kind of water coho are found in, any suggestions, pictures, or tackle tips would help, thanks!

winchester284
09-22-2010, 06:12 PM
The best way to learn is to go to the Vedder and watch the successful fishermen. There is a lot of info on this site as well... http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php

NaStY
09-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Tail in and tail outs are the best for Coho. The bigger fish ( white springs ) will push the Coho out of the deep water. That said, when fishing clear water, early mornings and just before sunset are your best times. Also dont be affraid to fish the fast water either.

Hope that helps.....

Brew
09-22-2010, 08:44 PM
My best coho fishing is in deeper slow moving pools.

NaStY
09-22-2010, 10:05 PM
My best coho fishing is in deeper slow moving pools.

On the Vedder? Really ?

coach
09-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Interesting, Brew. I have fished the Kitimat for springs and spoken with some of the locals about the coho fishing they have in the fall. They have described the same as you, deeper, slow moving pools. I've also fished a few rivers in the Charlottes and found spinners in the deep pools to work very well. This certainly hasn't been my experience in the vedder though. Nasty is right, tail ins and tail outs and definitely the faster water. The coho in this system have had to adjust to the huge number of springs and chums.

britman101
09-23-2010, 12:37 AM
Don't overlook the frog water, as you will find them in that type of water too. With respect to the Vedder, the longtime fishers on this system will tell you that coho numbers are no where near the numbers in years gone by. Fishing pressure on this system and dubious fishing practices cause the fish to get tight lipped once they have run the gauntlet up the canal.

Wood butcher
09-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Coho fishing is often good in back eddies.

Brew
09-23-2010, 07:26 AM
On the Vedder? Really ?
Sorry Nasty. I dont fish the vedder. I know the water I am describing is harder to find there but what I have described has been the same in all other systems I have fished. I mostly flyfish for coho but small spinners kill them also. IMO slow water is where its at, whether flyfishing or drifting roe in front of their faces.

NaStY
09-23-2010, 10:00 AM
No need to appaligize. Im alot more thick skinned than that :mrgreen: This years run is expected to be better than previous years.

I agree about the pools in any other system other than the Vedder. You can however find them in back eddys where the springs wont hold. The chehalis can be a great place to fish the pools especialy in the canyon.

If I had more time on my hands, I would be happy to take you out.

bforce750
09-23-2010, 11:56 AM
I fished that river for 20years,the best way to fish them is in about 4-6 ft of water drift fishing with roe or a colorado spoon,I've had some 30-40 fish mornings,wool works alright in faster water. Give it a try cheers

FishandHunt
09-24-2010, 08:46 AM
I fished that river for 20years,the best way to fish them is in about 4-6 ft of water drift fishing with roe or a colorado spoon,I've had some 30-40 fish mornings,wool works alright in faster water. Give it a try cheers

Agreed.

I can talk from experience that coho in the Vedder like orange wool and orange jenson eggs if you dont have fresh roe. If you fish between the train bridge and Kieth Wilson you will find nice water to fish spoons which is often overlooked by anglers who are hunting for the deeper hole to snag I mean floss I mean fish. If you decide to go with spoons check the water clarity first and hall over to freds to find the best one. A spooon too big on a clear river can scare more fish that attract.

Orangethunder
09-26-2010, 10:19 PM
How was the river this weekend? I am heading down on Friday, just looking to see what the conditions might be like.

thanks

shoot to kill
09-27-2010, 12:07 PM
fishing has been pretty bad in comparison to other years....the high water isnt helping but the numbers are not there like usual.

as for coho...generally, find some dead water with a little depth and you will hook them. there is a bunch of dug out ponds in the lower river...toss spinners in there.

britman101
09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Well I guess it all depends on what you are targeting. If you are going after coho then first light and the bite seems to be on for a couple of hours then goes dead. Talked to some fellows that caught and saw a bunch of big springs caught on Saturday. And on Sunday evening wondered down to the lower river and the river although high looked in good shape color wise. Also made the following observation. Watched a fellow do some float fishing and he had grown roots. Stayed in the same spot plopping his float more or less in the same spot. However in the short time I watched he failed to see the big fish just twenty yards down from him close to shore. He also failed to see the fish swimming up sporadically up the middle of the river, and the fish working their way up the opposite bank. I guess the hint, I am giving is stay flexible and observe what is happening around you. The fish are spread throughout the river, and in some cases are down by your feet.