PDA

View Full Version : sheep hunting clinics

bridger
09-22-2010, 12:08 PM
With all the discussions that have been going on about sheep hunting on the site the past few months it is obvious that several opinions and views are prevalent among the provinces sheep hunters. Years ago our club in fort st. john sponsored a couple of sheep hunting clinics that were well attended and well received. we talked about aging sheep, hunting tips, the allocation procedure, back packing equipment, optics, etc. this is something i would like to see expanded around the province. Perhaps we could get the BCWF and WSSOBC to joint venture and put on three or four clinics a year around the province. I would volunteer some time and effort to get it off the ground. The more education our sheep hunters have the better for our sheep and future sheep hunting opportunities. bridger

Downwind
09-22-2010, 12:19 PM
I'd love to attend a sheep seminar. Even would be okay with paying. Books are good but hands on experience in invaluable. Two completely different things.

The Hermit
09-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Yup I'd sign up too!! Never hunted sheep but would like to before I'm too old to crawl up the hills... may be too late already! LOL

pappy
09-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me, I would like to a chance to learn more about the sheep all over B.C.

Alpine85
09-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Would be great to see!

newhunterette
09-22-2010, 01:24 PM
sounds good, where do we sign up :)

srupp
09-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Im in also..
srupp

WoodOx
09-22-2010, 01:49 PM
yup...in...

coach
09-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Count me in too, Bridger. Great suggestion!

bridger
09-22-2010, 02:38 PM
here are few agenda items we used pls add if you have suggestions

1) habitat

2) field judging legal rams and approxiamate size by horn curl

3) field judging rams by annuli and horn structure

4) characteristics of older rams

5) sheep social structure

6) hunting tips

7) equipment

8) menu ideas

9) allocation procedures

10) emergency rescue procedures

Bigbruin
09-22-2010, 02:48 PM
I am interested as well

Jagermeister
09-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Excellent idea. Bridger, I know you're just the guy to get it off the ground.

Ponderosa
09-22-2010, 03:12 PM
i would also be interested! sounds like a great idea.

willy442
09-22-2010, 03:15 PM

1) habitat

6) hunting tips

7) equipment

8) menu ideas

9) allocation procedures

How about
1. How to stay quiet and help a buddy pass an illegal Ram through.
2. How about having the CI's attend
3. Who deems you qualified to teach these classes or are bringing in qualified people?
Actually just giving you a hard time Rich.

I fully support educating the hunter to hunt horned animals. This includes both Sheep and Goats.

frenchbar
09-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Would be a good thing for sure...a lot of new hunters get draws and head out without much knowledge of sheep and goats and many i would assume make bad judgement calls out of lack of experience.altho other reasons as well would contribute to bad decisions...pressure on selfs to succeed in a harvest.ect ...jmo .

BCrams
09-22-2010, 03:47 PM
I can volunteer time to teach folks on hunting sheep on a number of those points you highlighted.

newhunterette
09-22-2010, 03:50 PM
I don't know much on the education part but I am very good at organizing so I would be willing to help in that way.

wildcatter
09-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Count me in as well.

goatdancer
09-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Willy442 With all your years of experience you would be a good candidate to help Bridger. This type of thing is long overdue. It would be great to see it get off the ground and continue on.

frenchbar
09-22-2010, 04:16 PM
would be good to see more time put towards educating people as they take there core on this kinda stuff..be a good start no ?Teach the young gen and new hunters that take up the sport later in life .

Coming_out_heavy.
09-22-2010, 04:18 PM
I think this is a great idea. An effective hands on approach to learning how to avoid mistakes in the mountains.

This might be a good idea for not only sheep, but grizzly and goats as well. I wonder if the MOE would be interested in having the CI's attend as well?

Sheep seem to take the limelight, but being able to determine a sow grizzly and a nanny goat would be helpful as well.

hntcrazy
09-22-2010, 04:59 PM
At the wildsheep society weekend ???????????????

lostindian
09-22-2010, 05:19 PM
What a great idea I would love to take a course on sheep. Always up for learning new tricks!

tristanmac
09-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Im in...whens it coming to the island??:)

Tuffcity
09-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Maybe add a few ideas or a simple training program on how to get into "sheep" shape" .

RC

BCHunterFSJ
09-22-2010, 08:24 PM
I attended those seminars in Fort St. John and can attest to how useful they were...
Bring them on...

bridger
09-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Maybe add a few ideas or a simple training program on how to get into "sheep" shape" .

RC

good idea thanks for the input

bridger
09-22-2010, 08:33 PM
sounds like there is a lot of interest. I will run it by the bcwf and wssobc to see if we can get this off the ground. I am thinking about locations prince george, kamloops, the kootenay's amd the island. anymore suggestions?

daycort
09-22-2010, 08:43 PM
sounds like there is a lot of interest. I will run it by the bcwf and wssobc to see if we can get this off the ground. I am thinking about locations prince george, kamloops, the kootenay's amd the island. anymore suggestions?
how about a weekend at your ranch? And then some of us could volunteer an show a few guys about doing some packing as well.

There is also alot of good sheep guys out there that would help that aren't members of this site. But I guess it needs to get off the ground first. Give me a call or drop me an email if ya need a hand with anything.

fozzy
09-22-2010, 08:49 PM
There was a presentation last year at Victoria fish and game. A father and his son put it together. I can't for the life of me remember their name. It was well done and I loved it. It may have been the sprouting of the idea that brought my wife to want to go Goat hunting this fall :)
If another seminar comes available I'd like to attend.

300mag
09-22-2010, 08:55 PM
I`d like to check it out

shawnwells
09-22-2010, 09:12 PM
ya buddy my suggestion is fort st john....and ill bring 40 friends...i think a guy should take this once a year...just in case he forgot something the year before...good work...do you post it at backcountry if youre going to do this?

Downwind
09-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Nothing in the Lower Wasteland? I don't mind driving (hell my commute is an hour each way everyday) but if I could stay somewhat local that would be great. Vancouver/Langley/Chilliwack...any of those areas would be nice.

bridger
09-22-2010, 10:17 PM
probably will have to walk before we fly so maybe we wil have to have just one or two to start with to get organized. will proably have to have local volunteeers to help out at each location.

Coming_out_heavy.
09-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Fort St John would be a good place to catch hunters from the Peace region. Prince George is a long way to go for the northern people.

Fullcurled4point
09-23-2010, 04:08 PM
ya man id love to do that

Veener5.0
09-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Nothing in the Lower Wasteland? I don't mind driving (hell my commute is an hour each way everyday) but if I could stay somewhat local that would be great. Vancouver/Langley/Chilliwack...any of those areas would be nice.

I agree...anywhere within an hour I'd be in for

steel_ram
09-23-2010, 04:28 PM
There's a lot of info on line. The common denominator in all seems to be; take the time to properly ID the animal from the correct angle. Hasty shots better off passed up.

Here's a couple.

for sheep:

http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/node/14

for Goats:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/GoatIDandQuiz/

kevan
09-23-2010, 09:33 PM
If a seminar somewhere in the Lower Mainland would be out of the question, I'm sure we could organize a carpool of some sort to somewhere like Kamloops for instance ?

Wild Images
09-24-2010, 06:52 AM
Better throw in some info on caping and cape care, sheep capes are hard to come by and will cost some dollars if not cared for.

bridger
09-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Better throw in some info on caping and cape care, sheep capes are hard to come by and will cost some dollars if not cared for.

good point thanks

Call of the Wild
12-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Any new info about sheep clinics?

I would attend a clinic in the Peace or I'll drive to PG as well. Would be great to have locations and dates in advance so everyone can plan ahead.

Never attended a sheep clinic but having various sheep horns/mounts as a display would be great to learn how to age by counting ring and legality of a ram by curl, see the the difference between broom and broken horns tips, see the difference between a legal young ram and mature ram, comparing the different shapes of sheep horns. Books and the internet are great and some stuff can be obvious but hands on experience is always more efficient.

I'm all for educating hunters on wild sheep.

Call of the Wild

bridger
12-02-2010, 09:25 AM
i have recently had knee replacement surgery and have been laid up fo rthe last 6 weeks, but am getting to the point i can work again have talked with the local gun club executive and plan a sheep clinic in fort st john in the spring. many of the instructors work in the oil patchin the winter so have to wait til spring. plan to video it and send it to the bcwf and wssobc for a model. bridger

safarichris
12-02-2010, 01:18 PM
This is the best Post I have seen on the site. Well said bridger. If down the road I may be of any assistance, glad to help.

BiG Boar
12-02-2010, 01:36 PM
I think you could sell it in the lower mainland. I am sure you would have 20 guys there for a weekend course or 1 night a week for 5 weeks. Or do an online seminar so people around the country can attend. All the person putting it on needs is a webcam. And then no one has to commute! Get 2 speakers a night to present on one topic each.

Things I would like to learn:
Pitfalls of first time sheep hunters
How to fit and wear a pack. And what are the options.
In depth gear list explanation
Fly ins and river boats in, and how to prepare
How a typical sheep hunt should go and what to expect to do. Tactic wise.
The mental game, when to hunt, and when to give up, and when to move camp.

Mik
12-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Sounds like a great idea, would love to attend. Would it be a weekend event? Do you have any idea on a date(s)? So we can start to plan time off.

beni
12-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Would definitely be up for a Sheep hunting clinic, after all the years I lived in 3-17 I never had a chance to go. Too young and wasn't interested in it then.

bridger
12-02-2010, 08:16 PM
I think you could sell it in the lower mainland. I am sure you would have 20 guys there for a weekend course or 1 night a week for 5 weeks. Or do an online seminar so people around the country can attend. All the person putting it on needs is a webcam. And then no one has to commute! Get 2 speakers a night to present on one topic each.

Things I would like to learn:
Pitfalls of first time sheep hunters
How to fit and wear a pack. And what are the options.
In depth gear list explanation
Fly ins and river boats in, and how to prepare
How a typical sheep hunt should go and what to expect to do. Tactic wise.
The mental game, when to hunt, and when to give up, and when to move camp.

thanks for the ideas anyone else that has a suggestion drop me a pm bridgr

bridger
12-02-2010, 08:23 PM
the clinics i have run before were one day, about 8 hours in total with several instructors. topics included 1) sheep habitat and how to recognize ram mts. 2) aging sheep 3) back packing equipment 4) food and equipment lists 5) pack dogs for back pack hunts 6) caping and trophy care 7) optics and their importance 8) boots and other clothing items 9) practical hunting tips--- a clinic of this type takes several instructors so it may not be possible to have clinics throughout the province as instructors may not be available locally and it would be cost prohibitive to have instructors travel the province. one of my hunting partners is an internet guru so perhaps we could do it on line. suggestions are welcome.

Mik
12-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Hopefully I canget thedays off. Count me in

DGuest
12-02-2010, 08:55 PM
I'd be up for getting educated!

2x4x16
12-02-2010, 09:02 PM
I agree with Big Bore - a web cam or lower mainland seminar would be well attended. I for one know of a few guys that would love to be in one seminar like this.

yukon john
12-03-2010, 05:00 AM
I would be happy to help out with a LML seminar, let me know what you need Bridger

safarichris
12-03-2010, 11:22 AM
the clinics i have run before were one day, about 8 hours in total with several instructors. topics included 1) sheep habitat and how to recognize ram mts. 2) aging sheep 3) back packing equipment 4) food and equipment lists 5) pack dogs for back pack hunts 6) caping and trophy care 7) optics and their importance 8) boots and other clothing items 9) practical hunting tips--- a clinic of this type takes several instructors so it may not be possible to have clinics throughout the province as instructors may not be available locally and it would be cost prohibitive to have instructors travel the province. one of my hunting partners is an internet guru so perhaps we could do it on line. suggestions are welcome.

Good morning Bridger
I do believe a ‘’hands on’’ approach to a seminar would be most beneficial to a sheep hunter wanting to improve his skills. The cape is so important when you want a nice mount. That I believe, can only be improved upon by showing someone how to not make mistakes with a cape in your hands. I am sure some hunters still have a cape in the freezer that they would gladly submit for the occasion. This type of clinic is so beneficial to a person who has dedicated himself to hunting the Monarchs of the crags. It turns a normal sheep hunter into a professional. It would put the resident sheep hunter on the same scale as a Guide Outfitter and his guides. Which I personally would like to see. All sheep hunters want to do it right and could with a first class clinic.

bridger
12-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Chris I wholeheartedly agree that Education seminars for resident sheep hunters would be a great help and those of us with less experience would really find a clinic helpful. when i look back over the learning years jon and i went through i sometimes wonder how we had any sucess at all. i am not certain how to set up a series of clinics around the province as not every locale has experienced sheep hunters with the time and knowledge to put on a clinic. perhaps setting one up and getting a first rate video together and posting it on the web would be the way to go. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. bridger

Twobucks
12-03-2010, 09:22 PM
A little late to the thread, but I'd be there in a second if the session was on the Island or LML.

Gateholio
12-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Bridger, I think that the best way to do it is as you mentioned. Put one REALLY GOOD seminar together that has as many "experts" and demonstrations as possible.

Hire a good videographer (or 3) to document it all.

Get it put on disc and sell for $15 each or something reasonable, to encourage lots of sales and knowledge sharing.

Maybe set it up so some proceeds are donated...

fourbyfour
12-03-2010, 09:38 PM
count me in, anytime

safarichris
12-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Chris I wholeheartedly agree that Education seminars for resident sheep hunters would be a great help and those of us with less experience would really find a clinic helpful. when i look back over the learning years jon and i went through i sometimes wonder how we had any sucess at all. i am not certain how to set up a series of clinics around the province as not every locale has experienced sheep hunters with the time and knowledge to put on a clinic. perhaps setting one up and getting a first rate video together and posting it on the web would be the way to go. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. bridger

Evening Bridger

I would be almost certain, that if the instructors would dedicate their time for the good of all and as a contribution to the cause, Gas money to get too and fro would be a small expense the beneficiaries of the clinic would gladly endure. Maybe a sheep hunter in the local area (where clinic is taking place) would even offer him (instructor) a bunk along the way. Everyone would benefit and the costs would be kept to a minimum. I know, if a clinic was to take place in my area, I would gladly offer a roof over the instructors head. It would only be for a day or two, you are not taking in a boarder.

yukon john
12-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Evening Bridger

I would be almost certain, that if the instructors would dedicate their time for the good of all and as a contribution to the cause, Gas money to get too and fro would be a small expense the beneficiaries of the clinic would gladly endure. Maybe a sheep hunter in the local area (where clinic is taking place) would even offer him (instructor) a bunk along the way. Everyone would benefit and the costs would be kept to a minimum. I know, if a clinic was to take place in my area, I would gladly offer a roof over the instructors head. It would only be for a day or two, you are not taking in a boarder.

Hey Chris, how bout you instruct, I'm no greenhorn on the sheep mtns but i dont have the experiance you do, hell you can stay at my place for the LML seminar :-D

safarichris
12-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Hey Chris, how bout you instruct, I'm no greenhorn on the sheep mtns but i dont have the experiance you do, hell you can stay at my place for the LML seminar :-D

I appreciate your offer Pard. Should Bridger call upon me to help in this endeavor in whatever capacity, I would offer my services. I believe it is very important to be able to upgrade ones skills when hunting a sheep. It could only be a once in a lifetime experience and you sure would want it to go your way. On the lighter side, can you imagine transforming most all sheep hunters into truly professionals? There are two areas that would take serious hits. One would be the sheep populations and the other would be the Guide Outfitters. This could be grounds for a Civil War.

shallowH2O
12-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Hey Bridger

little late to the thread but i would drive either direction and almost any distance to gain more knowledge. please keep me updated

leadpillproductions
01-05-2011, 07:19 PM
any new news on a seminar in ft st john , i would like to attend

spear
01-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Id make the trip off the island to the LML for a seminar.

BillyBull
01-06-2011, 12:19 AM
Hi Bridger, hope the body is starting to feel able again after the surgery. Any word on the possible date(s) for the sheep seminar(s)? Really interested in attending and learning. Many thanks, bill

gibblewabble
01-06-2011, 12:05 PM
I would love to attend.

snareman1234
01-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Id definately be interested in attending one

RJ
01-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Id love to buy a video, but don't think Ill make the drive up to FSJ.
If you put something together in the Lower Mainland im all over it.

eric
01-06-2011, 05:09 PM
I attended the first seminars that was put on yrs ago, and they really helped my education on passing up the younger rams.

After 5 sheep hunts I'm still looking for the Big one.
I guess it must be time to attend another one and find out where the big ones hang out.
Anytime Bridger and thanks

Peace Country
01-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Hey I am in just let me know when and where, if you need help let me know.

bruin
01-06-2011, 09:31 PM
I'd be very interested in attending. It would also be a great chance to meet some fellow sheep hunters and listen to some campfire stories. It would have to be within reasonable driving distance for me though. Kamloops would probably be my limit.

snareman1234
01-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Kamloops is a pretty good central BC location too

pappy
01-06-2011, 09:48 PM
I would attend one in FSJ, and would like a dvd of it if possible.

BCRiverBoater
01-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Took the holidays off from HBC. I am in and can help where ever needed Rich. I would also be open to helping out with anybody who may be coming up this way. Stay in touch!

bridger
01-09-2011, 05:03 AM
i have been really stacked up with personal business and re habing my knee and haven't had much time to get organized. we are making plans to have on in fort st john in april. most of the guys that are instructors also work in the oil patch and right now are flat out. will have an update in about 10 days.

Skull Hunter
01-09-2011, 09:28 AM
I'd also like to attend. I think making a video is a great idea! Sell the dvd's or charge a small fee to download it from somewhere!

pnbrock
01-09-2011, 10:26 AM
make it a donation to wss ,great revenue from all dvd s sold.

yama49
01-09-2011, 10:31 AM
make it a donation to wss ,great revenue from all dvd s sold.

I rather see the money donated here residentpriority.ca, but doesnt matter to me, i would be interested in learning from the clinic.

MountainHigh
01-09-2011, 05:48 PM
The Wild Sheep Society of BC Convention is probably one of the best places to learn about sheep. I usually see tons of rams there on the wall. Also, there are lots of 'experts' that attend over the weekend to help as well.

kuiu
02-05-2011, 08:21 PM
What a great idea to get more guys out backpack hunting. There is a lot of work to get the gear and info to go out for sheep.

Deaddog
02-05-2011, 08:29 PM
The Wild Sheep Society of BC Convention is probably one of the best places to learn about sheep. I usually see tons of rams there on the wall. Also, there are lots of 'experts' that attend over the weekend to help as well.

there will be an "introduction to sheep hunting" workshop at the WSS convention this year.. more details will be on the web site soon...

leadpillproductions
03-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Was wondering where we are at for the sheep clinic .I think its a good idea for us newby sheep hunters.

ufishifish2
03-22-2011, 07:44 PM
After going to my first Sheep Banquet in Kamloops last weekend I would suggest you fine folks plan to make the efforts to attend the event next year. The information made available was very good and there are many there willing to tell you where and how to successfully hunt sheep. It can only expand your hunting knowledge and if you attend with empty pockets, (unlike me) it will only cost you $80.00 for the banquet. Accomodations are obviously additional!!!!!

James52
03-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Sounds good!! Count me in.

snareman1234
03-22-2011, 09:59 PM
After going to my first Sheep Banquet in Kamloops last weekend I would suggest you fine folks plan to make the efforts to attend the event next year. The information made available was very good and there are many there willing to tell you where and how to successfully hunt sheep. It can only expand your hunting knowledge and if you attend with empty pockets, (unlike me) it will only cost you $80.00 for the banquet. Accomodations are obviously additional!!!!!

10-4

I learned tons! not going to find a better concentration of hardcore sheep hunters. Tons of awesome info from seminars, and just from talking with guys.

Regional Bio's for 3,6,7,8 All spoke about sheep in their areas.

Between the seminars and all the helpful guys there, you can get a general idea of where ( but lets be honest, these guys are all sheep hunter still, they arent going to X it for you) But very good specifics on how, when and why to do everything else.

untilthelastbeat
03-22-2011, 10:17 PM
this sounds awesome id definatly pay money to go and learn about sheep hunting and id be willing to help in any way i could.

Whisky Creek
03-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Snareman and Ufish,

Didn't see you there, but you can only look at so many name tags before you go cross-eyed. I attended most of the workshops and the field trip to KIB as well. I did see BCRams and Gatehouse though.

Gateholio
03-22-2011, 10:53 PM
How was attendance compared to previous years? There seemed to be quite a few people there, more than I recall last time I was there.

Deaddog
03-22-2011, 11:05 PM
the event was sold out thursday night...attendance was quite a bit up from last year an we turned away a fairly large number of people.. thanks to all those who attended..

BiG Boar
03-23-2011, 07:01 AM
The bowhunting seminar was great. I probably learned more there than in any of the other seminars. However it was more target shooting, or ways to improve your shooting, rather than bowhunting information. Glad I went to that one.

Intro to sheep hunting was also good, but once you've spent 60 hours on here reasearching gear and reading about sheep hunts, you would know 95% of what was taught. Learned a couple of neat tricks though. Was mostly geared toward backpack hiking hunt.

vip_ruger
04-23-2011, 12:06 AM
I would be in to .I would love to meet more poeple that sheep hunt or have in the past a person can learn so much from them people

leadpillproductions
04-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Is there still going to be a clinic ? I would like to attend.

leadpillproductions
05-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Any info yet

powell
03-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Is this happening or is it long done
Thanks

kako99
03-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Sounds like a great idea! I'm in!

Ry151
03-25-2013, 08:24 PM
IM in also, just let me know when and where

boxhitch
03-25-2013, 09:32 PM
You snooze you looze
WSSoBC convention was March 15 - 16 weekend
Watch for similar dates next year.

MacMtnHunter
03-26-2013, 08:20 AM

This sounds like it would have been a great discussion about 2 months prior... WSSOBC held their annual convention on March 15th weekend. There were a few guys on here who attended. It was a very well organized function with some great information passed on to hunters via regional and outside of province bios, WSSOBC and Wild Sheep foundation members and the like. I think it would be counter productive to try and have two events. I would recommend approaching WSSOBC about including your ideas in their event... They seem very open increasing knowledge of wild sheep and increasing hunter education, plus it would be great to see more resident hunters attend that function.

bruin
03-26-2013, 09:43 AM
This sounds like it would have been a great discussion about 2 months prior... WSSOBC held their annual convention on March 15th weekend. There were a few guys on here who attended. It was a very well organized function with some great information passed on to hunters via regional and outside of province bios, WSSOBC and Wild Sheep foundation members and the like. I think it would be counter productive to try and have two events. I would recommend approaching WSSOBC about including your ideas in their event... They seem very open increasing knowledge of wild sheep and increasing hunter education, plus it would be great to see more resident hunters attend that function.

I agree with you. It would be great to have more attendance at the WSSoBC seminars. If anyone's got ideas for other seminar topics, post them up or get on the WSSoBC facebook page and make some comments.

izakaman
03-26-2013, 11:15 AM
I attended the convention for the first time this year, I learned a lot, and made some good connections, everyone there is pretty helpful, the auction was fun to watch. I'm going again next year. Just don't get too drunk and make an ass of yourself like i did the first night.

BCHunterFSJ
03-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Another good topic is the skinning of the head, especially ears, eyes, etc. Proper care and preservation of the cape and meat as well.

1) habitat

6) hunting tips

7) equipment

8) menu ideas

9) allocation procedures

High Country
03-26-2013, 12:43 PM
I've been looking for such an opportunity! I hope it happens!