PDA

View Full Version : My Micro Hunt South VI

boing-whap
09-22-2010, 12:09 AM
While doing the dishes I see a young deer coming out of our woodlot through the window above the sink, about 250 feet away. It clears the page wire and proceeds slowly across the pasture towards our goat enclosure. I, wipe my hands on a dish towel, I think, "There is enough daylight left to butcher and get that deer into the cooler and so on." I rip downstairs into the cave and grab my PSE Bowmadness XS, get the release on and belt my quiver. Clearing the lawn I pass cut through the barn and into the goat area. The deer makes me as I creep into the goat paddock , but it is more interested in all the cuttings I gave to the goats. I do my best to keep still but the goats (8 of them) are my undoing as they surround me and begin to nibble and chew on me and my gear. The big goat buck starts taste-testing my arrow and broad head, I finally lose it giving him a quick F.O. and a boot to the face. ( At this point my shoes, pants, shirt and bow are all being tested for flavor) The deer notices this and begins to tip-toe back toward the forest. At this point I have no shot as it would be through a wire fence. As the deer backtracks I make my way from the goat area through a lean-to and from there behind three thick alders, one after the other, this is done very slowly as the deer with an eye on me makes its way back to the fenceline. It clears the fence and returns to the forest, I smile as my trail cam flashes. I move in fast and get up close, (like fifteen yards) between the deer and me is a wire fence, and a sloping bank covered with ferns and sallal punctuated by large Douglas Fir trunks, peaking over the bank I make out an ear, but no shot, (Now my heart is pounding!) I head slowly down the fenceline, I mean slowly, like how fast the sun makes a shadow move, the bank that shields me flattens as I proceed, I carefully attach my release, and then SNAP!!!!! I step on a small bone dry branch, That deer was gone and I mean gone! Shaking my head I return to the house and my dirty dishes, that, was, awesome and fun.
Thanks for reading about my Micro Hunt, hopefully the next one will have a different ending, although stalking that close is just a rush no matter what. Any other Micro Hunters out there? http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Gerry
09-22-2010, 08:04 PM
thanks for posting, that was very very funny.

lp270win
09-22-2010, 08:13 PM
How do you like your madness xs? I just ordered one and can't decide on a whisker biscuit or a drop away? Cool story.....it is quite a rush being that close!

boing-whap
09-22-2010, 10:14 PM
The PSE Madness XS is light, smooth, and,,, very, very, quiet (think Elmer Fud voice) I use a simple recurve fipper rest on mine as I shoot both instinctive and release/sights with feathers, otherwise I would go for the drop away, I love that little bow, 28.5" A-to-A, it's so coool! (Mines 60lb)http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

09-23-2010, 08:33 AM
ahhh hahahaha that was good man!