PDA

View Full Version : Region 5 Caribou

Gilmore
09-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Who here has hunted them? Got any info you'd be willing to share? Thought if nothing else it might be fun to go and see if I could at least get a look at one.

Chad

todbartell
09-21-2010, 02:03 PM
horseback hunt from what Ive heard. ATV restricted area? I seen pics of a nice bull taken two years ago

srupp
09-21-2010, 02:20 PM
hmmm I fly that area regularly..in a chopper so see a LOT of cariboo and some GREAT BULLS..heavy and dark horned..

Seen some great ones harvested also...a LOT more cariboo than folks let on..I have personally seen em..

well worth the hunt..
Steven

Angel
09-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Who here has hunted them? Got any info you'd be willing to share? Thought if nothing else it might be fun to go and see if I could at least get a look at one.

Chad

let me know if you need a partner, that would be a hell of a hunt and a great trip in itself. I would also imagine that the population would be pretty well stocked with not a ton of pressure.

tinhorse
09-21-2010, 03:12 PM
i did some work near the outer areas of their range and have seen plenty of them. A girl from work does horse back camping trips up there every year and says there are lots, and lots of moose as well. If you have the time and horse power to get in you should not have a problem finding one.

srupp
09-21-2010, 03:42 PM
yes there are a lot of moose ..........more NW than the BOU..long way to get a moose anywhere...

Steven

Gilmore
09-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Figured it would be a horse trip which is no biggie. Ever since seeing the bull proguide66 got for one of Shockeys hunters a few years back I've been thinking more and more of a caribou hunt and thought it might be cool to go mid-province rather than a northern hunt. A guide I used to work for told me about finding real old 'bou sheds on Nine Mile and China Head when he was a kid in the early '60s so aparently they had a much larger range at one time. Pictures anyone?