PDA

View Full Version : What wolves do to hounds

Spokerider
09-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Yep, wolves don`t like competition.........

From another site http://www.biggamehoundsmen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17143

Tenacious Billy
09-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Wow..........that's brutal.

cavebear
09-21-2010, 01:02 PM
thats my biggest fear everytime i go into the bush. Weather its with my hounds or walking my dane along some nice trail :icon_frow

RJ
09-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Wow, I would go on a wolf slaying rampage if I found my dog like that

TPB
09-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Thats brutal, its eerie how the dog is facing in the picture

09-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Almost looks set up, The second pic the dogs head looks up.
But if i am wrong i would not be very happy to see Chase that way.

WoodOx
09-21-2010, 02:53 PM
yup. brutal.
im sure coyotes wouldnt be any more kind.

odd that they wouldnt hamstring or break its neck/throat? per the comments there, it does look like it was eaten alive.

shed-hunter1
09-21-2010, 09:15 PM
yep my dad lost a dog on a cat once the dog was working the track and it went silent he ran over the hill and a wolf took off killed the one dog mangeld up the other

Wolfman
09-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Why would someone take pictures of something like that? A Man's beautiful, faithful companion bites it and he takes pictures of the body?

I don't get it.

Spokerider
09-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Why would someone take pictures of something like that? A Man's beautiful, faithful companion bites it and he takes pictures of the body?

I don't get it.

Could be many reasons..........
The hunter was training another mans dog.........needs to show proof of death.

Perhaps to encourge Conservation to promote a wolf control program.

To show to other houndsmen, as a reminder to be wary when running the hounds in wolf country.

Of course, there is the possibility of recording the *gore aspect* of it, but I suspect most owners would rather not have that image entrenched into their memories.

dougster
09-22-2010, 04:29 PM
after that i wanna pound a few rounds into some wolves big time

newhunterette
09-22-2010, 04:53 PM
I didn't have to even look at it - from the posts to the thread of others seeing the photos was enough to make me want to vomit

I seriously think you should have perhaps put a "graphic warning" or something in case a younger member happens to click the link. I'm just saying (could be just my sensitivity at the moment)

ElliotMoose
09-22-2010, 07:02 PM
thats wild animals for ya, we cant hate them for it pretty greasy though, but sometimes life is greasy bubbles!

Spokerider
09-23-2010, 09:14 AM
I didn't have to even look at it - from the posts to the thread of others seeing the photos was enough to make me want to vomit

I seriously think you should have perhaps put a "graphic warning" or something in case a younger member happens to click the link. I'm just saying (could be just my sensitivity at the moment)

This is a hunting site..........pictures of dead animals abound, as expected.
This particular dead animal pic is slightly different, in that it tugs at our emotions, unlike most pics of killed game or road kill we hunters view.
Sure, it tugs at my emotions too, as I realize the wolf risk exists, everytime I unclip my potilckers leashes.

Wolves are doing what wolves do.....eliminating the competition. One can`t blame them for behaving the way that they are genetically programmed to behave, they have no hate or malice towards other dogs when they kill, it`s nature. Hate and malice are but all human emotions.
That being said, it seems I find wolf sign pretty much where ever I hunt, and so perhaps thinning the herd somewhat wouldn`t be such a bad idea.

newhunterette
09-23-2010, 11:15 AM
This is a hunting site..........pictures of dead animals abound, as expected.

yes it is a hunting site and yes we see pics of harvested animals but there is this forum guideline

15. No bloody shot up animals, organs or intrails in the forums or gallery. When taking pictures of your animals please try and pull it away from the gut pile before you start taking pictures.

In my opinion:
all I said is their should have been a "graphic warning".

gutpile
09-23-2010, 11:51 AM
yes it is a hunting site and yes we see pics of harvested animals but there is this forum guideline

15. No bloody shot up animals, organs or intrails in the forums or gallery. When taking pictures of your animals please try and pull it away from the gut pile before you start taking pictures.

In my opinion:
This animal was not shot, but killed by nature, it's good that we see nature at it's best and worsted.

huntcoop
09-23-2010, 11:57 AM
...but there is this forum guideline

In my opinion:

He placed a link not a picture :mrgreen: .

newhunterette
09-23-2010, 12:29 PM

In my opinion:

This animal was not shot, but killed by nature, it's good that we see nature at it's best and worsted.

Huntcoop;He placed a link not a picture :mrgreen:

guess you didn't read the part "in my opinion" I felt it was disgusting for the owner of the dog to post the pics in the forum the link came from - regardless if the link was taken from another site - I still feel "in my opinion" a warning in the header should have been there - I also said I was probably being a little more sensitive

I have seen animals ripped to shreds by predators but I would not take a picture of it and post it - no one really needs to see it "again my opinion"

I didn't say the link should be removed, I didn't say it shouldn't have been posted, I just said "a graphic warning" should have been posted as well. Yes, I know the argument, "you have a choice to not read the thread" yadda yadda but posting a link doesn't give you the choice, it goes straight to the pics. If a graphic warning is posted then people who find such things offensive in their opinion won't click the link.

I am entitled to my opinion, just as you are

huntcoop
09-23-2010, 01:04 PM
guess you didn't read the part "in my opinion"...

But I did read the part of you quoting the HBC forum guideline, that is what I was referring to :mrgreen:

Nait Hadya
09-24-2010, 01:42 PM
difficult thing to view, even for me and ive recover two hounds so far that met their fate that way. i certainly would not take pics or show it on the net. i can understand why some would be upset. it is a reality of hound hunting in many areas however....

skibum
09-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Picture is worth a 1000 words - nature can be a b!tch

chilcotin hillbilly
09-25-2010, 07:34 AM
I to have a hound meet that same fate. I think the picture has some shock value and people need to see this. Attacks like this are happening more and more, not only with hounds but with pets on a leash and off the leash. At some point the wolves need to be thinned out.

wsm
09-25-2010, 09:47 AM
wow . all i can say is im shocked . first im sorry for the loss of a dog , that would deffinately be hard . second i like to think every1 on here is a hunter so life and death are things we understand. So if you release your hound into the WILDERNESS that is inhabited by wolves , cougar's, griz , blackies, cyote's etc . you are adding your hound to the food chain , and any 1 of the critters formentioned above will take a stab @ your hound if the opportunity presents itself . once again im sorry for the loss of your dog, thats terrible

Phreddy
09-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Wolves. Shoot, Shovel, Shut up.

chilcotin hillbilly
09-26-2010, 06:36 AM
Wolves. Shoot, Shovel, Shut up.
In BC its better to skin them as digging takes to long.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-26-2010, 07:56 AM
In BC its better to skin them as digging takes to long.

We would do that if we had a season in Reg 8:?.

SSS

luckynuts
09-26-2010, 09:20 PM
I to have a hound meet that same fate. I think the picture has some shock value and people need to see this. Attacks like this are happening more and more, not only with hounds but with pets on a leash and off the leash. At some point the wolves need to be thinned out.

Don't want to sound like an ass but those are the risks with running hounds. The attacks that are happening more and more is because we are hunting harder and more and more into their territory. I agree the wolves have increased I have problems out where I hunt and where I work it's amazing when they come into an area for a couple of weeks. If more guys would hunt them( very hard to commit lots of hard work & rewards are low if success is what your after, it most guys I invite out always seem to back out last second) the wolves would not be so bold. I have never heard of a pet get attacked by wolves while on a leash but do know that it has happened quite a bit by cougars and rare occasion by a coyote.

looks like the dog died getting eaten alive just another one of natures cruel ways. Feel for the dog and owner.

W.

steelheadSABO
10-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Break out the m60 and rpg I'm going wolf huntin'

Downtown
10-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Sad to see, I feel for the Hound and his Owner.

If you hunt long enough in BC, Yukon & the NWT you will see from time to time stuff not so pretty. Wolves are a integral part of our Wilderness and like any other Predator hunt almost allways only to survive. Most Hunters never get to harvest a Timberwolf and few studied their ways enough to hunt them consistently sucessfully.

With what I have seen over the years I certainly can agree with the old saying,------No Beast is fiercer then Man. :(

300H&H
10-07-2010, 09:25 PM
That is nasty.

Its so sad to see the dogs head on its leg like it was sleeping. :(

blackwater moose
10-08-2010, 07:30 AM
yotes do the same thing with domestic dogs , which is why i leave my dogs at home when i go hunting

bruin
10-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Man, if that doesn't make a guy a wolf hater I don't know what would.