PDA

View Full Version : Nikon FieldscopeIII ED 20 - 60x

300mag
09-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Does anyone have one of these spotting scopes? Looking for feedback. Going to be buying a new one right away. Can`t dish out $2000 for a swarovski, so I`m looking in the $1200 range. I need the 60x. Anyone have other types of 60x scopes with good eye relief and crisp clear edges, that fall into my price range? Comments??? Thanks

MidnightRun
09-21-2010, 01:32 PM
I have the same scope/eyepiece. If you really need 60x you'll probably be disappointed as the eyepiece is too small to transmit enough useful light beyond ~30-40x. For less money and a larger diameter eyepiece (read more light, brighter image) may want to look at a Pentax. Dont get me wrong Nikon makes a nice scope if you accept its limitations, but if you are contemplating the purchase with the expectation of a high resolution image on all but the brightest of days it will disappoint.

300mag
09-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Noted...Thats what I was looking for. Have you looked through the Pentax?

Iltasyuko
09-21-2010, 04:44 PM
I have the same scope - seems to be a nice weight and size - it has a unique focus ring which works once you get used to its location.

I agree it loses quality at the top end but dont have any other experience with scopes to really compare - I would like to look through a Pentax of other similar price scope to see if there is much of a difference at the higher powers.

mod7rem
09-22-2010, 02:15 PM
I have the pentax PF 65 ED scope with the 20-60x zoom as well as 30x fixed WA. It is a very good scope but you have to remember that with a 65mm scope the "sweet" spot for magnification is around 30x. If you put a fixed wide angle 30x eyepiece in this 65mm scope, it gives an amazing image. 60x on a 65mm scope is too much unless you are buying top end optics. I dont believe you see much difference between a "good" scope setup($1000-$1500) and a great scope($2000-$2500) until you get past 35-40x. With high magnification you also have to use a good quality tripod. Even a highend scope will be limited if it is on a crappy platform.JMHO

I should have added that if high mag is a must you might want to consider a bigger scope. If its not for backpacking then an 85mm would be great. 65mm seems to be the best compromise for backpacking.

300mag
09-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Only reason I said 60x, was I was burned a few years ago on sheep hunt up north. Only had the 40x and I sure wished I would have had that little bit more. Without going into the story, I`ve learned from my experiences that Clarity is where its at, not power. Seems there are lots of scopes to look through out there, but to get an honest tryout with one is nearly impossible. Every sales guy has a different opinion. I am an avid mtn hunter so Weight and size are an issue. But I have been playing in the mtn`s a long time, and I don`t know everything. So I`m kind of hoping someone might give me some honest optical guidance. If I could afford it I would be buying a new swarovski, but I just can`t.

mod7rem
09-23-2010, 10:12 AM
If you are not in a hurry, keep your eyes open for a deal on the swaro's. Now that they have new magnesium bodies, there are some really good deals the aluminum ones. Especially if you go for the non-HD. The optics are the same for aluminum and magnesium. Ive read a lot about the difference between HD and non HD and basically the answer is that HD does almost nothing for the human eye and makes no difference for what we do(mountain hunting). Where its supposed to make a difference is with things like digiscoping. Watch other forums with forsale sections and ebay because I have seen some great buys around $1500. Birdforum is another good one.

300mag
09-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks. I will keep my eyes open for that.