PDA

View Full Version : Can`t Elk hunt with h47

sawmill
09-21-2010, 04:09 AM
Wifey convinced me to go hunting last night,I hate hunting on a Monday night after a hard day at the site.Opening day of the flat top elk though so off we went,wouldn`t you know we spotted a nice one but she headed into the thick stuff.Rather than follow in her footsteps I cut into the bush a hundred yards before and paralleled her and there she was but I couldn`t see her head and I didn`t want to make a mistake by shooting a small bull.I foostered around trying to get a look and she buggered off so I followed and she stopped again.Yup,legal,had a little 2 foot x2 foot shot at the vitals at 80`ish yards friggen offhand through the trees but it worked!One shot...flop,all I saw was feet in the air kicking.I got to her and realized it was one hour till dark.With the wifes help I had her gutted,split in half crossways and was dragging her in 15 minutes.Realized all the blowdown was going to kill us so I got the chain saw from the truck and cut a path and with a little creative bush driving managed to cut the half mile drag down to about 500 yards.In the pissin pouring rain.Kudo`s to my Leslie,what a tough girl!Love those Norwiegian chicks,I`d still be out there if she wasn`t helping pull!Got the elk home and hung in the shop by 10 PM,had a shower and a drink and a soak in the hot tub.The elk is a beauty big young dry cow,fat as a pig and probably will go 4+ hundred on the hook,skinned.
So......Sorry Wayne:mrgreen:

nano
09-21-2010, 08:25 AM
Congrats Sawmill!!

mark
09-21-2010, 08:30 AM
Go hunting anyway! The best part about elk hunting is the hunt itself, not the actual killing! Elk hunting in pairs works well anyway, and you might find a nice buck in the process!
If I cut my tag early, I plan to elk hunt with any of my buddies who still has a tag, just to be there, heck I dream about it all year long!!!

#1fishslayer
09-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Nice work.

09-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Sawmill,,, There is other things to shoot you know!
Or there is nothing to shoot. But just because you got lucky that is no reason not to go hunting. Hell you could do that other thing.... go Camping!

shawnwells
09-21-2010, 08:45 AM
good job...dinner is served...ha ha

cainer
09-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Nice work Sawmills. i'm sure the rain made it a nice slippery drag for ya.

d6dan
09-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Go hunting anyway! The best part about elk hunting is the hunt itself, not the actual killing! Elk hunting in pairs works well anyway, and you might find a nice buck in the process!
If I cut my tag early, I plan to elk hunt with any of my buddies who still has a tag, just to be there, heck I dream about it all year long!!!

This is good advise Sawmill. You should head out to Waynes camp, have some fun, help out with whatever and enjoy it..You will probably get a crack at a whitetail or mulie. After all, theres nothing more enjoyable than the outdoors.:-D.

BimmerBob
09-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Congrats Sawmill, on the flat top and on the Norwiegian girl, you are one lucky guy!

Mik
09-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Sometimes the best hunts are the quick unplanned hunts, congrats.

Wolfman
09-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Sawmill, congrats, buddy - on both the successful hunt *and* an obvious excellent choice in your Lady ;-)

Elkhound
09-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Great job Sawmill

sawmill
09-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Sawmill,,, There is other things to shoot you know!
Or there is nothing to shoot. But just because you got lucky that is no reason not to go hunting. Hell you could do that other thing.... go Camping!
Never said I wasn`t,Leslie has her elk tag,I have whitie and mulie to go.Lot of game moving in the rain right now.Was a hard day at work today though!Now I got to load this elk out of my garage by my self and get it to the butcher,just got home,best get moving:mrgreen:

09-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Good stuff!
Some day i'll live off this island where i can go hunting like you main landers. Me'n the wife spent a week in Horsefly shooting birds, fishing and road hunting. Getting her to enjoy what we do.

keep up the luck!

Everett
09-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Congrats on the Elk Joe. My wife got a little one last night as well. We had it loaded before the rain though. Had it home skinned and still made it to wing night.

sawmill
09-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Congrats on the Elk Joe. My wife got a little one last night as well. We had it loaded before the rain though. Had it home skinned and still made it to wing night.
NICE! Nothing like getting a great critter with the woman you love!Missed wing night,we were so pooped out it was a shower,drink in the hot tub,then bed and SNORE.Got the elk to Cliffs after work today after pouring a basement,hung and done she came in at 300 pounds even.Now it`s Leslies turn to try out her new rifle:mrgreen: Congrats on your girls elk!

Everett
09-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Thats one hell of a big cow wifes youngin' came to 150 on the hook just ate the tenderloin just like butter. Figure the whole elk should taste like tendeloin with luck on my side. If thats the case I may come around to antlerless hunting real quick.:wink: Don't have room for the antlers I have anyway. Good luck to your wife trying the new rifle out lots down low saw a herd of 9 down low this morning but I was trying to set up a new hunter with his first animal so tried to herd them towards him and my reward was a wt buck walked out in front of him and he scored his first animal and now his wife loves him again.:-D

Jelvis
09-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Way to go Sawmiller, nice meat eh. Man it's going to taste good, congratulations and your a lucky man to have a partner like that.
Jel .. Way to go .. lots of fantastic organic meat .. a real treat, get some specialty meats done pard.

sawmill
09-22-2010, 03:16 AM
Yup,I love that flat top season,gives the bulls a chance to get their job done and opens up a lot more opurtunity for guys to get some great meat.There are a hell of a lot of cows out there compared to bulls and they taste pretty damn good too.And like Everett said,I don`t have room for more horns anyway.:mrgreen:

sawmill
09-22-2010, 04:33 AM
Way to go Sawmiller, nice meat eh. Man it's going to taste good, congratulations and your a lucky man to have a partner like that.
Jel .. Way to go .. lots of fantastic organic meat .. a real treat, get some specialty meats done pard.
Thanks Jell,yup getting some garlic ring and jerky made up for my hunting partner,she loves the stuff,Christmas treats:mrgreen: