PDA

View Full Version : MU 8-5 scouting and questions

DGuest
09-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Hey folks!

Decided to scout out a new hunting spot today. I live in Vancouver so I have been going out Chilliwack way... and generally seeing far more hunters than animals. So I drove out to MU 8-5 for a couple reasons; fewer hunters (hopefully) and the chance at taking a larger variety of species. So here are my questions:

1) I saw some Mule deer, does and bucks (no 4x4's... damn) does this mean I am in good deer country in general and may also see whitetails in the area or do the mule deer and white tails stay separated? Assuming there are at least SOME whitetails in 8-5 based on the fact there is a season for them.

2) I also saw a decent amount of elk sign. There is a GOS for elk but they must be 6 point bulls. The reg's say 6 point bull then direct you to the definitions section, where it defines "6 points or greater". when the reg's say 6 points does that mean only 6x6 or can it be greater than 6x6 as well... I found this kind of confusing. I've never hunted elk before, but thought it might be interesting to take a stab at it.

Thanks for the help guys!

Steeleco
09-20-2010, 10:40 PM
In the area of 8-05 where I spend my time, there's Mulies and Whitetail deer. Hell I've seen both in the same field. The deer don't care. There's plenty of moose and now I'm seeing more and more sign of Elk. Go back again and again, you'll not stop learning something new each time.

The reg's state that the Elk must have at least 6pts on one side. It could have 6 pts on one side and nothing on the other, it's legal!!!

DGuest
09-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks, I was just imagining seeing a 6X5 and not shooting it!

Steeleco
09-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Roughly where in 8-05 were you? Do you hunt bears, there's plenty on them in there too.

3kills
09-20-2010, 11:55 PM
nothing in 8-5 ;)

Stone Sheep Steve
09-21-2010, 05:19 AM
Don't forget...the elk season in that area doesn't start until Sept 25th.

SSS

Steeleco
09-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Don't forget...the elk season in that area doesn't start until Sept 25th.

SSS

Damn straight!! I hear Elkhound is gunnin for one :wink::wink: Me I want a bear!!

LOC
09-21-2010, 08:27 AM
nothing in 8-5 ;)

Yep, nothing to see here... :mrgreen:

Since I won't be making it up to r.4 this year 8-05 is my only chance for elk! Luckily I've seen a nice 6x around lately, I just hope he's there Saturday.

3kills
09-21-2010, 08:54 AM
i have a few tips on a couple but my the looks of things they have moved on. or been shot

DGuest
09-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Roughly where in 8-05 were you? Do you hunt bears, there's plenty on them in there too.

I went in behind the visitor center on the Coquihalla and spent most of my time around Lawless FSR, next time I go I'll try a different area, I am trying to cover lots of ground right now and see whats out there. I only picked this area because of a search I had done here on the region and it seemed easy to get to.

I do hunt bears but I shot one this spring, looking for something a little different. I did however see some bear sign in a few areas. I wouldn't mind chasing some moose around too. I might just get all my tags and spend as much time in the bush as possible.

Thanks for the help

Leaseman
09-21-2010, 12:13 PM
I have spent 25+ years hunting that area..... you could spend 10 years just looking at the area the roads cover..... little hint..... travel less, look/hunt more! There are lots of all sizes of critters.... I have sent a few "chosen" people in there and they have only seen a couple of animals..... I usually see 10-20 deer a day..... buck ratio lately has been 7:1

Mike

Brizz
09-21-2010, 02:04 PM
I've seen lots of whitetail in 8-05 as well as TONS of mulie does.

DGuest
09-21-2010, 02:10 PM
I have spent 25+ years hunting that area..... you could spend 10 years just looking at the area the roads cover..... little hint..... travel less, look/hunt more! There are lots of all sizes of critters.... I have sent a few "chosen" people in there and they have only seen a couple of animals..... I usually see 10-20 deer a day..... buck ratio lately has been 7:1

Mike

Thanks Mike, I noticed roughly the same ratio yesterday. I saw 8 deer, 2 of which were young bucks. Just need to find one a little more mature.