PDA

View Full Version : FSJ butcher

Bigbruin
09-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Im in Fort St John for a while and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good person to butcher and ship the Moose I'm gonna get soon. Lol. Thx

hlram
09-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Working up there?

Bigbruin
09-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Yup I hope to get out on any of my days off and bag a moose.

dukester
09-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Tery Howatt on air port road, think hes still there.

shawnwells
09-20-2010, 08:43 PM
ill tell you this....dont go to charlie lake meats....if you get in a pinch pm me and ill try and help you out with a small operation guy

bridger
09-21-2010, 01:23 AM
ill tell you this....dont go to charlie lake meats....if you get in a pinch pm me and ill try and help you out with a small operation guy

I disagree! the charlie lake meat shop is under new ownership and management. they do a great job. I use them and have had great sucess. the northern health authority has inspected the plant and given them a great review for cleanliness and professionalism. the plant is exceptionally clean and well organzied. they have a great butcher and get your moose processed in a very professional manner. make great sausage and pepporoni as well. on call 24/7

Ponderosa
09-21-2010, 05:48 AM
you could try Peace Country Meats. I can't comment too much about their work other than to say so far they have been good, my moose is in there as we speak.

pappy
09-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Charlie lake meats is more expensive than most places, I think I'll take my elk to Peace country this week and see how good they are. There is a place near Wonowon that also cuts game but I don't know who it is.

shawnwells
09-21-2010, 08:45 PM
charlie lake meats is brutal dude...

zazman
09-21-2010, 09:31 PM
I have had no issues with Charlie Lake Meats. I asked around a fair bit and to be honest I heard good and bad about pretty much everyone. I usually do it myself but was happy with a moose from there this year.

bridger
09-21-2010, 09:35 PM
charlie lake meats is brutal dude...

why do you say that?

shawnwells
09-22-2010, 06:13 AM
i know ive had some questions about what theyre doing there and i know a few of my friends have had problems....it might have been the old owners like you say...the storys ive been hearing lately people seem happy... so maybe its better now...

bridger
09-22-2010, 06:42 AM
it is better now with new management and ownership. i agree that the old owner was brutual but the new guys are really good and are trying hard to overcome the reputation of the previous owner. their prices seem to be in line with the other guys in town.

Blainer
09-22-2010, 06:53 AM
Tery Howatt on air port road, think hes still there.
This is who I have used on many occassions in the past.
Phone # is in the whitepages

shawnwells
09-22-2010, 09:19 PM
well we pick up the elk on saturday from this new fella with a super reputation...so we'll see..id mention his name...but i cant remember it for the life of me

Bigbruin
09-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Thx for all the good info guys

shawnwells
11-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Ok didnt heed my own advice and went to charlie lake meats again 276 go@#$mn dollars for 12 packages of meat and 25 pounds of peperoni...from a whitetail with no meat loss. on the hook skinned out weight was 120 pounds....If 276 dollars for a tiny whitetail seems fair to you then go to charlie lake meats....Ya Bridger i stand by my opinion of charlie lake meats....i dont care who owns it now...

skills
10-08-2013, 08:41 AM
DON'T GO TO WONOWON MEATS!!! A friend used him a few years ago and was satisfied but I think that was before Wonowon meats saw opportunity in desperate hunters who are at the mercy of the weather when it gets to warm to hang it in camp (as what happened to me). I made the mistake of not asking what it would cost to hang ONE small moose "that I had quartered" and a bag with the loins & trim. I carried it into his cooler myself,put it on the hooks for him and did the same at pick up time,all he did was open the doors and then GOUGED me $120.00 for the first three days on the hook,then he charges $20.00 for each additional day! He's not available until after 7:00 pm (when he's home from his day job) and I hear he charges extra for opening his doors during "non regular hours,what ever that may be?!!" I tried to make small talk with him but all I got out of him was an answer to a couple of direct questions like "Has it been busy?". He commented that he's only had ten customers this year and that he has a full time job elsewhere. It looks to me like he doesn't care much about his cooler service anymore and he no longer does any cutting. I suspect his customers are diminishing because of his ridiculous crooked practices. We had a good trip but the Wonowon meats experience definitely tainted our mood for some time. Try ANYWHERE else,I would have driven 100 more miles out of the way just to avoid this highway robbery!!

BRvalley
10-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Richard in Pouce Coupe, worth the drive from FSJ....fair prices and I was very happy with everything I got back, same with everybody at work who I gave his number to

250-786-0408

skills
10-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the heads up mate. I think next year I'll put the deep freeze on the deck trailer with the quads (as we did one early hunt a couple years ago) and forego any worries about the weather or the difficulty of locating and traveling to a decent meat locker. There just ain't enough of these precious hunting moments to waste any of it messing with things that we shouldn't have to at ANY time. Heck,if my freezer has room,I'd offer the use of it to any one of my fellow sportsmen out there if they were twisting in the wind with temperature problems threatening there harvest. After all,what goes around comes around--right?

Blainer
10-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Tery Howatt on air port road, think hes still there.another recomendation.
cut 1/2 a dozen or so for me and a buffalo.
great cutlets!

dhog
10-09-2013, 09:43 PM
peace vale meats dig a great job for me last year, Russell meats in Chetwynd or you can go to the link on the forum home page and go through the list good luck on bagging one

pro 111
10-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Art Steiner . 240 and crossover road

meat man
10-10-2013, 09:03 PM
South Peace Hutterite Colony in Farmington has an amazing shop they are fully inspected and top notch with all they do. They do all sausage and processing. I am a butcher in the interior and I deal with them a lot when we hunt in the north for extended periods of time.