PDA

View Full Version : Tarsal (scent) gland

sapper
09-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Okay, here's a question for all of you.
I have yet to shoot a buck but have taken two does during my first two seasons. Hopefully this season will see me take down my first buck or two.
I've cut the scent gland off both my does concerned that it runs the risk of ruining the meat but have heard differing opinions from various more experienced hunters I've been with. So, let's hear your take on it.
Does the scent gland on both male and female wreck the meat if you get it on the meat?

warnniklz
09-20-2010, 04:13 PM
cut the glands off and tie them to you boot or wear them.

Saves you from buying other cover scents.

Meat wise I cut them of with the lower legs once I get the creature home

mod7rem
09-20-2010, 04:18 PM
The more you mess with the tarsal gland the more chance you will transfer its contents to the meat. Just avoid it and take it off with the hide when you do your final skinning and you wont have a problem.

dougster
09-20-2010, 04:21 PM
i was told that if you cut it off, use a different knife than you are using to skin and prep your game

wolverine
09-20-2010, 05:38 PM
i was told that if you cut it off, use a different knife than you are using to skin and prep your game

That's very true if you happen to cut into the gland or it is particularly weepy and you run your knife through the guck. If that happens put the knife down and do not use it again anywhere around the meat. I always carry three knives for sure and sometimes a fourth. I just switch if one gets dull rather than sharpening in the field but the main reason is the glands. If you are careful you can skin them off. If you aren't that good of a skinner yet, cut them off with the lower legs. When you get back to camp/home or whatever, wash the knife that you soiled in the gland really well before you use it again. I'm talking hot water and soap and a good scrubbing. There's fewer ways to ruin good meat than fouling it with a scent gland.

MuleyMadness
09-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Yes if you cut the gland, make sure you use a different knife. I use a bit different technique than 'skinning' them, though I suppose you could call it that. I just grab the hair just above the gland, and cut right down to the bone there, and then sort of 'fillet' the gland off the leg, running the knife below the skin to sever that part. Just make sure you use the soap and water or detergent, the gland secretes an oil substance that will not wash off with just water alone, gotta have soap or a detergent.

Hang em from your jack for a cover scent...but be warned, you might continually be looking over your should to see wtf stinks back there lol.

Tikka270wsm
09-20-2010, 06:32 PM
[quote=MuleyMadness;749434]Yes if you cut the gland, make sure you use a different knife. I use a bit different technique than 'skinning' them, though I suppose you could call it that. I just grab the hair just above the gland, and cut right down to the bone there, and then sort of 'fillet' the gland off the leg, running the knife below the skin to sever that part. Just make sure you use the soap and water or detergent, the gland secretes an oil substance that will not wash off with just water alone, gotta have soap or a detergent.

X2. Good advice

Brian011
09-20-2010, 07:53 PM
just dont touch the hair on scent gland and you'll be fine, either with the knife or hands. i've cut them off and used them for scent pads and had bucks come right in.

cainer
09-20-2010, 08:56 PM
they pee all over those glands as well, so wash up before you go touching all that tasty meat.

Muleycatcher
09-20-2010, 09:02 PM
I cut them off with a separate knife generally, just one less thing to worry about. Nothing worse than touching it with your hand without thinking and then touching the meat and getting some extra seasoning on your meat.

I once shot a 2 point mulie who had green goop oozing out of his tarsal glands and running down his legs, and it wasn't even the rut yet. Definitely used more than one knife on that one.