PDA

View Full Version : Puppy selection

Busterbrown
09-20-2010, 07:32 AM
With all of the mis-information that makes the rounds reguarding pup selections perhaps a thread discussing what to look for when picking a pup is appropriate. Any one who has had experience breeding dogs please share your experiences with us.
We currently have four labs ( three chocolate, one black) . When picking these dogs. two were purchased as competeing field trial dogs, one was initiatly to be a hunting dog,and one was a stud fee that will be a competeing animal When looking for these dogs we looked for the appropriate health guarantees as well as the health clearances of the previous two generations of parents . In addition as these were to be working dogs we looked for the number of FTCH, AFTCH, FC and AFC titles. This is obviously important when choosing a dog that will be trained and/or trialed every day. Getting a pup from a high profile Field Trial breeding might not be the best choice for a pet or hunting dog as these animals are bred to be "high energy" and require incredible amounts of physical excecise and mental stimulation.

The majority of dogs entered in Field Trials today do not come from traditional breeders. They are a result of an owner/ handler breeding their talented and usually titled bitch to another talented and titled male. These pups are seldom advertised and usually sold to other field trial handlers/owners. These animals obviously are bred to have a trmendous amount of drive and energy. Maybe not the best choice for some-one looking for a dog they will hunt with once or twice per per week.

I am unsure of what is available for health testing today, perhaps someone who knows could post as to what is available today. We currently look for Eye. Hip. elbow and certified non-EIC carrier

Please add anything you see fit to help other members make the best puppy selection

Kasomor
09-20-2010, 11:06 AM
I get what Ian F. said about choosing a lab based on color. He's saying don't pick a dog based solely on it's color.

I have tollers...I get people who want the puppies with all the white in the right places and not the "Plain Jane" ones on a regular basis. When I start explaining about temperament, activity level, trainability, purpose, etc... and these people still say they want a dog with white blaze and tail tip...ya, know...the cutest one :roll: I send them packing.

There are some toller breeders who breed for white markings...they keep those white tipped pups in breeding programs simply because of their markings.

I don't imagine it is any different in the lab world. Silver, fox red, and chocolate to a lesser extent are rarer colors. There are breeders who breed simply for color because they know there are people who will buy those rarer colors based solely on the color.

And there are TONS of AFC FC NFC litter listings for labs on RTF http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31 Sure RTF is US based but you just need to search around for what you want AND be prepared to WAIT for what you want.

To add to Busters thread....Don't be swayed by the first puppy that is offered to you or thrust into your arms. Do your home work, choose carefully, pick the right puppy from the right breeder based on what you plan to do with your pup.

And then cross your paws and hope for the best!

Busterbrown
09-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Kasomor you are right, there are tons of titled labs and Goldens available through numerous sites such as Retriever news, Retrievers
Online and other web based retriever forums. These dogs however may not make the best casual hunting dog.
After doing all your homework and finding a litter that exceeds your health clearance requirements, now the fun really starts. How do you pick that perfect pup out of the litter? There are now a few stimulation tests that are done on the pups, some people turn them on their backs, throw some wings for them ,some see which dog comes to them.I have found that as soon as you pick up a 7 week old puppy you want to take them all home. The reality is it really is a crap shoot when picking out that puppy. They all have so much promise when they are 7 weeks old and one that looks rel good at 7 weeks may not look so good at 2 years old. Anyone have any other tests to determine which puppy is the one?

Jimsue
09-20-2010, 01:23 PM
One of my pups who is now around 4 years old was the last one to be picked from a litter, is 2 points short of his US Field Ch. title, it is a crap shoot, but it is in the blood.

Busterbrown
09-20-2010, 02:56 PM
There is a lot to be said for the education a dog gets as well. Sounds like yours got a good one. There are many cases of the opposite happening, where a pick of the litter pup never works out. I have a dog that was sired by FC AFC Creek Robber. This pup was the pick male and has been real slow coming around so you just never know. I know of a couple of very sucessful trialers who have told breeders to "send me a pup" and they worked out great. Good breeding and proper education goes a long way

Kasomor
09-20-2010, 03:11 PM
These dogs however may not make the best casual hunting dog.

Agreed.

I hunt with a fire breathing lab... while she is literally a thrill a minute, she is also a royal PITA in the blind but we NEVER loose a bird with her.....She is also not everyones cup of tea in the house either.

For a casual hunting dog....I'd want to see the parents work. Make sure they work to what YOUR idea is of a hunting dog. Don't be taking the breeders word for it....unless there is a Senior Hunter title or better on the dog....even then I'd still want to see the parents work.

Especially when looking at a minority breed, such as a toller.