PDA

View Full Version : I'v got a flyer!!!

daycort
09-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Okay, so after about 3.5 weeks of being scared to touch my bow, (It spent 12 days of bouncing up and down the trail on a pack horse and one bad wreck) I say today is the day. My boy who just got a bow for his B-Day was just itching to go shot some targets. I said Okay grabbed our bows and set up a few targets in the horse pasture.

After I get my son squared away about the do's and don'ts I leave him by himself to figure it out, without his old man looking over his shoulder. It didn't take him long to get it figured out and he was hitting the target at about 10 yards.

For me I knew it was going to be ugly. so I went out to 5 yards and let it have it with results I was expecting. Out to 10 yards and it hit a little high and to the left. not bad I was thinking just a little off, but not bad. I went out to 20 yard to see what I was dealing with. I aimed for the middle of the target and let'er go. Right away I noticed a tail kick left and a little high as it flew away toward the target I was thinking to myself ah sh!t, I missed not only was it a miss but some really bad luck, cause usually I can find an arrow at a 20 yard miss especially in the hay burners pasture, but no. It made a beauty glance off the top of the target giving it a second chance at flight sending it another 30 yards out. Two weeks ago it would made a lovely straight stab into the earth, an easy find. But a lot happens around here in 2 weeks. You see my good neighbor and I decided it was time to top rail our pipe fence to see if the very horse that my bow was on during our trip (and yes the very same horse that kicked the ugly off of my bow case and bow when he decided it wasn't fun having that pack under his belly) if it would keep him on his side of the fence and not have his head dangling in my bale feeder all winter. And what would ya know it bounced off the top rail of the pipe fence sending it into my neighbors hay field. An arrow ment for an easy 20 yard flight made just over 60 into 2nd growth alfalfa so thick you trip when you walk through it. So now I am out an arrow, that will go through the hay bine and baler and more then likely end up back in my procession next year when I buy feed.

So After that 3.5 seconds of what the f&ck, I re-aligned center shot made a few adjustments and I still have just a minor, minor tail kick left.

I am thinking after all my adjustments and starting out at center shot again and moving pins and rest that my string loop is a little to high making my arrow leave at a angle and the fletching hitting the drop away giving me that minor tail kick?? I am a left hand shot, shooting a Hoyt set at 68.333 lbs and with a 29.5 in draw length shooting 31 inch 340 power flight arrows, with a tru-ball release, and a trophy taker rest.

Stéphane
09-20-2010, 06:46 AM
I started in June and I a immediately got a membership at the shooting range. At first, I wanted to just put a target in my backyard . . . man, am I glad I didn't go that way.

At first, I shot all over the place, way to the left. That's when I figured out I was left eye dominant shooting with rh bow. Went back to the range, shot the left eye and Bang!!!!! I was in the 4'X4' target at 20 yards. I remember thinking I just made huge progress for hitting the target board and not having to chase my arrows in the field.

Now I get mad at myself if my shots aren't grouped. Practice, practice practice. My advice, a beginner's advice mind you, is don't bother too much with adjusting the pins until you have some sort of a grouping.

Keep at it, it is so much fun.

Bow Walker
09-20-2010, 07:27 AM
daycort, have you adjusted the height of your rest so that the arrow makes a right angle with the string when the rest is in the up position? It may be easier to adjust the height of the rest instead of untying, repositioning, and re-tying your d-loop.

Take the time to check your bow over really well. Top to bottom. Tighten all the screws. Check alignment. Do everything. Then take it out and try again.

Remember that the more distance you shoot from - the greater the error will be...as you found out. Good luck.

willyqbc
09-20-2010, 07:42 AM
I am thinking after all my adjustments and starting out at center shot again and moving pins and rest that my string loop is a little to high making my arrow leave at a angle and the fletching hitting the drop away giving me that minor tail kick?? I am a left hand shot, shooting a Hoyt set at 68.333 lbs and with a 29.5 in draw length shooting 31 inch 340 power flight arrows, with a tru-ball release, and a trophy taker rest.

Okay, first off where do you have your nock height in relation to the trophy taker? ...it should be nock high, up to about an 1/8".

2nd - draw your bow then let down slow and watch your rest....it should start dropping after your string comes forward about 2-3".

3rd - if you are indeed hitting the rest it should be quite clear to you as you will have marks on the fletches and smear marks on the tips of the rest.

Now I will say at this point, I doubt any of the above is causing your left kick. Most likely culprit is your centershot is not quite perfect yet, try moving the rest in very tiny increments to further dial it in. The other possibility is that you are torqueing the bow. Have someone stand behind you as you draw and shoot....the string should stay perfectly in line with the cam tracks, if you are torquing, lets say the string comes off to the right of the track, it will cause the string to move right to left as it comes forward making it impossible for it to come off the bow true. For a lefty using too much palm in your grip can turn the front of your bow to the right which will force the nock of the arrow left as it comes of the string.

Hope this helps
Chris

daycort
09-20-2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the helpfull reply's.

I didn't mention that after all my adjustments at 20 yards with 4 arrows was a one hand arrow retrieval with some re-fletching to do. So I am confident that my centershot is good. I think I may be torqueing a little like willyqbc is saying.

Flying arrows hasn't really been an issue as I am able to fill the freezer just about every year with the bow.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-20-2010, 09:11 AM
so all but one arrow is good? get rid of that arrow but it sounds like you allready did;)