PDA

View Full Version : portable carport as a hunting camp

caper321
09-19-2010, 10:14 PM
just wondering if anyone has used one of those portable car ports that you can get at costco or canadian tire etc. as a hunting camp and if you can put a woodstove in them. i see some 10 x 16 for under $300.00 and i dont have $1000.00 or more for a delux wall tent, and would like to have a place thats warm and shelterd especially when the wife comes on some hunting trips. any ideas will be very appreciated, thanks:-D

TPB
09-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Damn i was just thinking about that today, i dont see why not they serve protection from the elements but who knows about the woodstove and the wind might pierce them, good luck

Moosehunter64
09-19-2010, 10:25 PM
We took one up a couple times and had a wood stove in it.Pretty roughly made up but it did keep the chill off and kept things dry but we still slept in the campers.

ChilliwackWinchester
09-19-2010, 10:49 PM
We've done it... with a wood stove as well. We also put three together and made a 20 x 30 shelter. Works pretty good. We fabricated a custom set up for one of the fronts to accept the stove pipe and a wooden door. It was a regular shangri la.

huntcoop
09-20-2010, 08:25 AM
We've done it many times, replaced the ends with plywood. Have a proper mandoor on one end and the wood stove out the other end, works like a hot dam even in late November.

gamer
09-20-2010, 09:17 AM
I have been checking them out too. A 10x15 Shelterlogic is only 250 at Sears right now. The only issue I have with some of them is that they bolt together, which means lots of small pieces and parts, and take 2-3 hours to assemble. That's a little too long to set up for me unless I am going for a week or more.

italhunter
09-20-2010, 10:51 AM
We have used them on our hunts as well. We makeshift a frame for the front so we can install a solid door, and hole for the stove pipe. We then cover it with a larger tarp for added protection. Just be sure and have a little ventilation during the night so moisture doesn't build up on the walls and ceiling, if your stove can't burn through the night.

caper321
09-20-2010, 04:00 PM
sounds good, thanks for all the advice.:-D

caper321
09-20-2010, 04:02 PM
We have used them on our hunts as well. We makeshift a frame for the front so we can install a solid door, and hole for the stove pipe. We then cover it with a larger tarp for added protection. Just be sure and have a little ventilation during the night so moisture doesn't build up on the walls and ceiling, if your stove can't burn through the night.

hey italhunter, are you franco the master bow hunter.

09-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Used them for years. stove in the back gets hot!

buy a big tarp to go over it to stop the wind. We back a camper into the other end. Sleep in the camper and do the rest in the tent. It really does work well.

tristanmac
09-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Were going to be trying one this year on our moose trip with a wood stove. Will see how it works out!

Jagermeister
09-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Remember to read the warning label on the fabric part. The one I have has no flame ******ent and would probably burn like a hot damm once on fire. With that in mind, it would be prudent to keep the campfire at a distance and clear combustibles away from it.

I just don't believe it. The ******* word starts with an R, followed by an E, after that comes a T, then an A and R closely followed by a D and ENT!