PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Squirrels

PointMan
09-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Went to Dee Lake for a camping trip this weekend with the family and while out scouting around for grouse, I happened (of course) to see lots of squirrels. Now to me, these guys are no more than rats with furry tails, and according to BC regs, fair class C game, so I plugged a couple. As it turns out, some people don't like that, SURPRISE! Now what really got me was, the lady running the resort would have been MORE than happy to have me sit and shoot chipmunks all day, but leave the squirrels alone. Didn't really make much sense to me (and they are not mentioned in the regs at all, so I consider them as off limits). What are your thoughts on shooting either of these animals?

For the record, I don't typically shoot animals I don't intend to eat, unless I consider them a nuisance animal, even then I try to find SOMETHING constructive to do with the carcass, squirrels, unfortunately don't have much meat and the pelt carries no value, so I leave them for the coyotes.

TPB
09-19-2010, 05:41 PM
I know they are annoying as hell but you don't got to plug em all :D Haha before i got into hunting for actually game i used to go and hunt them all the time but thats also part of growing up in a small town :)

204rug.ftw
09-19-2010, 06:15 PM
That girl there is kinda quarky... But for me, shoot as many as you can. Theyre annoying as hell, and its not like theyre gonna go extinct

shotgunjohn
09-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Not so sure about shooting squirrels. I think only grey or black squirrels are class C not the native red ones. Red squirrels are classed as fur bearers. Might want to recheck your regs.

Grouser
09-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Squirrel tails are used for tying flies.
I buy them natural or dyed black for some nymphs and streamers.
I'm sure the flyshop or your fishin buddies would appreciate them.
Cheers

PointMan
09-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Squirrel tails are used for tying flies.
I buy them natural or dyed black for some nymphs and streamers.
I'm sure the flyshop or your fishin buddies would appreciate them.
Cheers
Never thought of that, thanks for the heads up!

PointMan
09-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Not so sure about shooting squirrels. I think only grey or black squirrels are class C not the native red ones. Red squirrels are classed as fur bearers. Might want to recheck your regs.

Pg 14 of the regs:

(h) all species of the genus Sicurus - gray squirrels and fox squirrels

The squirrels I'm talking about are both of these, not the red, they look completely different and are usually pretty easy to recognize, not many around here either.

TPB
09-19-2010, 06:32 PM
That girl there is kinda quarky... But for me, shoot as many as you can. Theyre annoying as hell, and its not like theyre gonna go extinct

That girl?

PointMan
09-19-2010, 06:40 PM
That girl?
he girl, or lady, from the Dee Lake Resort that didn't want me shooting the squirrels was all for exterminating chipmunks.

TPB
09-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Ah i apologize i had a bad misunderstanding, thanks for clearing it but yes pretty weird she liked the squirrels better than the chipmunks

wicket
09-19-2010, 06:49 PM
simmer them till tender then fry them till they are kinda crisp on the outside damned fine meal. one of my favourite things to do here in onterrible it to spend an afternoon with my super accurate old winchester 22 and shoot a limit of squirrels. one last thing clean them as soon as you shoot them cause once they cool down they are harder to skin.

Pete
09-19-2010, 07:01 PM
It is illegal to shoot red squirrel in BC. They are classed as a fur bearing animal. The only person who can take them is a trapper on his or her trapline. Red squirrel are not in the hunting regs.

PointMan
09-19-2010, 08:35 PM
It is illegal to shoot red squirrel in BC. They are classed as a fur bearing animal. The only person who can take them is a trapper on his or her trapline. Red squirrel are not in the hunting regs.
Agreed, as I stated earlier it's not the red squirrel I'm talking about, it's the gray and the fox, there are millions of them in the woods around here. Pretty sure the red is most common in the costal areas.

Pete
09-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Knowing that there are no Black, Grey or Fox Squirrel at Dee Lake I must have read your thread starter wrong when you made the comment that you "plugged a couple"

Jelvis
09-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Oh O ........I'm going squirrely

Kody94
09-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Agreed, as I stated earlier it's not the red squirrel I'm talking about, it's the gray and the fox, there are millions of them in the woods around here. Pretty sure the red is most common in the costal areas.

You've got that bass-ackwards. Gray squirrel are on the coast. Red squirrel are the most common throughout the interior. You might want to be real careful about who you tell that your plugging them around Vernon.

American Red Squirrel

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/AmericanRedSquirrel.jpg

PointMan
09-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Knowing that there are no Black, Grey or Fox Squirrel at Dee Lake I must have read your thread starter wrong when you made the comment that you "plugged a couple"
Then you're going to have to enlighten me, because even though I don't claim to be an expert on squirrel identification, the images and info I have found on squirrels show the red as having pointy tips of hair on their ears, thicker bodies and bushy tails, wheras the fox and gray are supposedly thiner with round ears and narrower tails.

Kody94
09-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Then you're going to have to enlighten me, because even though I don't claim to be an expert on squirrel identification, the images and info I have found on squirrels show the red as having pointy tips of hair on their ears, thicker bodies and bushy tails, wheras the fox and gray are supposedly thiner with round ears and narrower tails.

That'd be the Eurasian Red Squirrel.

PointMan
09-19-2010, 09:04 PM
You've got that bass-ackwards. Gray squirrel are on the coast. Red squirrel are the most common throughout the interior. You might want to be real careful about who you tell that your plugging them around Vernon.

I'll do some more research, if you're right, I'll quit and put up with the noise. ;)

skibum
09-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Personally have never seen a class C squire in the interior.

Kody94
09-19-2010, 09:05 PM
I'll do some more research, if you're right, I'll quit and put up with the noise. ;)

Just look here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Red_Squirrel

Gateholio
09-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Squirrel defense thread?

pics and the regs on the various different squirrels would be interesting. I admit that I've never looked up the squirrel regs!

I did run one over the other day, poor little thing.:cry:

Kody94
09-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Squirrel defense thread?

pics and the regs on the various different squirrels would be interesting. I admit that I've never looked up the squirrel regs!

I did run one over the other day, poor little thing.:cry:

I've been aware of the reg since I was 12yo and picked up a roadkill squirrel and skinned it for practice. When my Dad's friend (a CO) spotted it in our garage, he read me the riot act....its not even legal to possess one unless you are a licenced trapper.

TPB
09-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Oh O ........I'm going squirrely

Everyone is going squirrelly over squirrels eh jel ;)

Jelvis
09-19-2010, 09:13 PM
One fella was coming through a game check and had a squirrel on the hood roped down for a joke .. The CO says what did you get? The hunter says nuttin, just the trophy on the hood and all his buddies roared out at the trophy on the hood and the CO looks and sees the squirrel roped down ..
The game warden says well you got something alright .. an infraction for shooting a fur bearing animal .. bing bing bang .. he went nutty on em .. turned squirrley real quick ..
Jel .. the fella and his friends were not larfing after he got a ticket ... a little bush monkey with buck teeth

Gunner
09-19-2010, 09:46 PM
No shootable squirrels in the Interior,just red squirrels,chipmunks,and flying squirrels(that I've been feeding on my balcony every night for the last 10 years!).All are on the no shoot list. Gunner

PointMan
09-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Here's what I found for images...

Red Squirrel
http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/CapturedGrace/RedSquirrel.jpg

Fox Squirrel
http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/CapturedGrace/FoxSquirrel.jpg

Gray Squirrel
http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/CapturedGrace/EasternGraySquirrel.jpg

They're not great pics, but the fox squirrel is easy to see, but I think the gray and red would be tougher side by side. The biggest thing I noticed is it looks like the gray has a white bottom on its tail. It looks longer in the photo but I think part of that is it's stance and I think the red is a juvi. Just the same, I think I'll save my .22's for grouse from now on, best be safe. Thanks for the heads up Kody!

BromBones
09-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Regardless of what squirrels the threadstarter may or may not have plugged, I think these red squirrels should be legal plinking game. I snare a couple hundred trapping every winter, and the little shits are still everywhere you look. My old tomcats probably take out a few dozen every year.

Actually caught two flying squirrels in marten sets last winter, those are pretty neat critters. I let the folks at the MOE know and one fellow had wanted to stop out and collect the frozen carcasses but never showed up. So I've still got them in my freezer, thinking I could make a nice pair of mits or a flyswatter out of 'em :)

Stone Sheep Steve
09-20-2010, 04:27 AM
Here's some info..............

2.15 Red Squirrel, Tamiasciurus hudsonicus (Erxleben)

Synonyms

Sciurus hudsonicus, S. hudsonicus petulans, S. hudsonicus picatus, S. hudsonicus richardsoni, S. hudsonicus vancouverensis, S. lanuginosus, or S. richardsoni (Nagorsen 1990). Other common names

Common squirrel, American squirrel, barking squirrel (Woods 1980), pine squirrel, or chickaree (Whitaker 1988). Distribution within British Columbia

The Red Squirrel has a very broad distribution that covers the province except the southwestern and northwestern corners of the province, Vancouver Island, and coastal islands. It has been introduced to the Queen Charlottes (Cowan and Guiguet 1973; Banfield 1974; Stevens and Lofts 1988).
Ecoregions: This squirrel is found within all terrestrial ecoregions with the exception of one, the Lower Mainland (adapted from Cowan and Guiguet 1973; Demarchi 1988).
Biogeoclimatic zones: For an indication of which biogeoclimatic zones are inhabited by the Red Squirrel, see Table 2. The Red Squirrel is considered, by Meidinger and Pojar (1991) to be a "representative species" in all but four (Coastal Western Hemlock, Mountain Hemlock, Bunch Grass, or Alpine Tundra biogeoclimatic zones) of the 14 biogeoclimatic zones (adapted from Wildlife Branch 1989). Status

The Red Squirrel is not in jeopardy, however is protected as a furbearer under the British Columbia Wildlife Act of 1982 (Stevens and Lofts 1988). It is on the Yellow list.

2.18 Gray Squirrel, Sciurus carolinensis Gmelin Synonyms

Sciurus carolinensis leucotis, S. leucotis, or S. migratorius (Nagorsen 1990). Other common names

Black squirrel (Woods 1980). Distribution within British Columbia

In Canada, the Gray Squirrel is endemic to the eastern provinces. However, this squirrel has been introduced into British Columbia on two separate occasions. First in 1914, three or four pairs were introduced to the Stanley Park area in Vancouver (Cowan and Guiguet 1973), later, in the 1960's, more were introduced into the Victoria area of Vancouver Island (Guiguet 1975). A close relative of the Gray Squirrel, the Fox Squirrel (Sciurus niger), has recently appeared in the extreme southern Okanagan Valley, and is presumed to have to have dispersed there from a nearby population (also introduced) in Okanagan County, Washington (Nagorsen 1990). The Fox Squirrel is not covered on an individual species level by this report, however, it is considered to be very similar to the Gray Squirrel in all respects.
Ecoregions: The Gray Squirrel is found only within the Lower Mainland and Eastern Vancouver Island ecoregions (adapted from Cowan and Guiguet 1973; Demarchi 1988).
Biogeoclimatic zones: For an indication of which biogeoclimatic zones are inhabited by the Gray Squirrel, see Table 2. The Gray Squirrel is not considered, by Meidinger and Pojar (1991) to be a "representative species" in any of the 14 biogeoclimatic zones (adapted from Wildlife Branch 1989). Status

The Gray Squirrel is on the provincial Yellow list.

SSS

shotgunjohn
09-20-2010, 07:45 AM
The gray and black squirrels have made it up Island as far as Duncan. They are also starting to move out from town and seem to displace the red squrrels wherever they show up. They are quite a bit bigger than the reds.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/BennysquirrelFeb06008.jpg

Pete
09-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Blacks, Greys and Fox squirrel are alien introduced species and as such can be taken anywhere at anytime. Make sure you check your local regs. before you discharge.

phoenix
09-20-2010, 08:28 AM
I could never tell them apart so I never shoot them. I guess if I saw them side by side it would be easier. I had squirrel stew a couple of times down south and it was real good but I just don't want to take the chance on a wrong identification.
I also can't figure out which rabbits I can hunt, I guess I failed RODENT101.
Kim

FlyFishBC
09-20-2010, 11:33 AM
the red squirrel has a coastal form that is EXTREMELY common on the coast called the douglas squirrel or chickaree, douglas and red squirrels are the same size the only difference being color and habitat. Neither of them are legal to shoot but are okay to trap

Big Lew
09-20-2010, 09:11 PM
No shootable squirrels in the Interior,just red squirrels,chipmunks,and flying squirrels(that I've been feeding on my balcony every night for the last 10 years!).All are on the no shoot list. Gunner
I agree, Gunner, and I'll go a step further, why would someone shoot squirrels, chipmunks, birds, etc. in, or around a campground used by families including small children. They're quite often a good part of the kids camping experience and enjoyment.
All too often we see shot songbirds etc. lying about, or thrown into firepits at public campgrounds, usually at fishing lakes. Not only is it illegal, it's disrespectful. If you want to do some target practicing, go off a-ways and set up a proper target....draw pictures on it if you like.

PointMan
09-22-2010, 09:11 AM
I agree, Gunner, and I'll go a step further, why would someone shoot squirrels, chipmunks, birds, etc. in, or around a campground used by families including small children. They're quite often a good part of the kids camping experience and enjoyment.
All too often we see shot songbirds etc. lying about, or thrown into firepits at public campgrounds, usually at fishing lakes. Not only is it illegal, it's disrespectful. If you want to do some target practicing, go off a-ways and set up a proper target....draw pictures on it if you like.
I don't shoot chipmunks or songbirds, I shot 2 squirrels, and those I shot at least a kilometer or two off the campground in the bush. I already stated that once I realized that they were not the class C game I thought they were I made the resolve to leave them alone. As for why I shoot them, it's because if you read a bit about them, they're mean little rodents and even go so far as killing young bird and eggs in nests. That being said, now that I'm aware of my error, I'll shoot no more.

Mr. Dean
09-22-2010, 02:15 PM
I like hunting squirrels but yes, you need to be careful of ID. It can be pretty easy to confuse one for another at different times of their development.

Big Lew
09-22-2010, 07:01 PM
PointMan, my comments weren't meant to offend you, or anyone else that shoots squirrels legally away from campgrounds. If it's legal, everyone is entitled to hunt or shoot squirrels, rabbits, crows, etc. My only concern is individuals plunking away at anything alive within campgrounds. Not only does this practice put legitimate hunters in a poor light, it reduces the small bird/animal population that thrill small children.

4x4R270
09-26-2012, 09:19 PM
The eastern gray squirrel has become a real pest in the Fraser Valley and if you want to harvest any walnuts, I've found that trapping with the Kania trap is very effective. They love peanuts (with shells) combined with peanut butter and I've been controlling the bushy tailed rat population on my property with this combination. The trap is selective as larger animals can't get in far enough but each squirrel I caught was hit in the neck and died instantly. But bolt or tie the trap down just in case a raccoon likes peanut butter

Scuba_Dave
09-26-2012, 09:26 PM
@Pete...The black squirrels are not introduced. The others however are. At least here on the island it is 100% illegal to shoot a black squirrel. Gray squirrels on the other hand, hell if you can stab em with your fork go for it!!

Scuba_Dave
09-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Correction my last, Im thinking of the Douglas Squirrel here on the island not the Blacks

pnbrock
09-26-2012, 09:33 PM
aren't black and grey big rats the same ?

The Dude
09-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Blacks and Grays are the same, both colour variations of the Eastern Gray Squirrel.

Scuba_Dave
09-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Thats why I corrected it :D

springpin
09-26-2012, 09:48 PM
The gray and black squirrels have made it up Island as far as Duncan. They are also starting to move out from town and seem to displace the red squrrels wherever they show up. They are quite a bit bigger than the reds.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/BennysquirrelFeb06008.jpg

That would make a nice scope cozie! lol

rides bike to work
09-26-2012, 09:50 PM
I gut shot a squirrel with my pellet gun when i was 7 or 8 it ran up a tree then fell then ran up and fell screaming like hell the whole time I was shocked.it finally slowed down and i thought its ok little fella youll be ok then my dad walked up grabbed my gun and put one in its head.I cried like a baby it put me off of hunting for quite a while.I got better though.But i would never shoot a squirrel again.I can still hear the screaming.

Scuba_Dave
09-26-2012, 09:55 PM
No going to say that story didnt just make me laugh literally out loud...Cause it did LOL. Now, lets talk Reds. As far as I know the squirrels on the Island native here are the Douglas Squirrel, which often is confused with the American Red Squirrel...Just looking for some like habitat maps to confirm it. I know that the Douglas is only found in a small area.

Scuba_Dave
09-26-2012, 10:12 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Red_Squirrel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Squirrel

No map included but it gives a pretty good descriptive....Dont shoot these ones lol

Drillbit
09-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Hey OP. You don't have to appoligize for not eating everything you shoot.

Eating what you shoot was introduced with hiding your firearms from anti's so you don't offend them. Some people were brought up with that PC thinking, some people follow it pretty firmly, bit it doesn't make you any less of a hunter to shoot/hunt varmints.

Anyone that has spent anytime around a farm/ranch will tell you that most of the things they shoot don't get eaten. They get shot because they are damaging property, livelyhood, or are a competition for a food source.

Not trying to stir the pot, just a pet peeve of mine.

Shooting squirrels is fun. I spend at least 2 weeks every year shooting "ground squirrels" in Saskatchewan. So far, everyone I know that's tried it has enjoyed their day. We don't eat them either.

As for BC squirrels, I guess we should all brush up on our ID.
Cheers

The Dude
09-26-2012, 10:26 PM
That would make a nice scope cozie! lol

That would be hilarious!
Although I'd prefer one made from a Red. You know the reds? You're still-hunting, having a great day, and they go ballistic right above your head and scare the shit out of you, and set off 7 other reds in the woods that snitch on your every move? yeah, those ones. I'm gonna start an ASMD Club in BC (All Squirrels Must Die). Why the hell are they off-limits, anyway?

cbb
09-26-2012, 10:30 PM
squirrel is delicious one of the tastiest meats I've had. You should try it. Especially if you're gonna shoot it.

Scuba_Dave
09-26-2012, 10:30 PM
They are off limits because of the grays. Those tricky Euro *******s are killing off the reds/douglas squirrels. When a squirrel takes over territory, it will go into the nests of the squirrels who used to own the place and kill off their young. And since the grays are more versatile than the reds and douglas....Well nature dictates the rest lol

Scuba_Dave
09-26-2012, 10:31 PM
And if anyone wants to shoot squirrels and not do anything with em....Private message me, you can send the skins here, I will make slippers out of em hahahaha

Mr. Dean
09-27-2012, 12:19 AM
Our native squirrels are off limits because they are a very important food source for other critters.
Can't recall what that critter was but it relied heavily on them.

I killed 4 blacks yesterday and 9 more last week. If I see them, they get it. It's time for a new bait station.
Crow count is down right now, only 4 in a bit over a month but they were all oprotunist kills, I havent done any calling this year.

Jagermeister
09-27-2012, 12:35 AM
The squirrels will do far more damage to a home, not to mention bringing fleas with them, than 10X the number of chipmunks. I used to keep the squirrel population in check when I lived in an area where they were a constant problem.

pnbrock
09-27-2012, 06:17 AM
i think a little competition is in order down with grays!

Gr8 white hunter
09-27-2012, 06:31 AM
I've always taught my son if your not going to eat what you kill don't shoot it.why do people have to kill animals just because they have a gun?

The Dude
09-27-2012, 06:39 AM
Our native squirrels are off limits because they are a very important food source for other critters.
Can't recall what that critter was but it relied heavily on them.
Probably Pine Martens, maybe Mink, weasel, etc. Don't see why they can't eat the Greys as well.

I killed 4 blacks yesterday and 9 more last week. If I see them, they get it. It's time for a new bait station.
Gonna leave that one alone, too easy, but they might love you in Alabama for that one :D

ASMD Club JOIN TODAY!

steel_ram
09-27-2012, 07:15 AM
The native squirrels are part of the food chain, providing food for weasles and raptors. We start taking them out and we'll have to start shooting them evil wolves of the sky.;)

Mr. Dean
09-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Dude quoted:

Probably Pine Martens, maybe Mink, weasel, etc. Don't see why they can't eat the Greys as well.

VIOLA!! That's it. :smile:
They could, I imagine, use Fox Squirrels as a food source but their range is extremely small in comparison to the province.

Shoot a native squirrel, kill a marten - Not for me.

Mr. Dean
09-27-2012, 10:02 AM
I've always taught my son if your not going to eat what you kill don't shoot it.why do people have to kill animals just because they have a gun?

You've got it all wrong, Bud.

Someone, sometime, Super-Uber F'd-up and introduced species of various sorts, that took over ecosystems like a rampant, violent cancer.
Some people like to sit back, shrug their shoulders, and exclaim that it ain't their problem....

But that, in fact, is a worse contribution than the people that infected us.
At least *they* were naive......

Schedule C is a policy of purpose - Get educated. :wink:

gibblewabble
09-27-2012, 10:19 AM
I afternoon Mr Dean, I read through schedule c critters every year and try to kill on site as I firmly believe introduced critters need to be controlled ruthlessly. We don't eat tired but they are a shoot onsite animal too for me just cause the population density is way too high in most of the province.
Reds are considered fur bearing and are therefore saved for trapping but I know 25 years ago I only got 25 cents per squirrel and wonder what they're worth now, I'd hazard to guess most trappers wouldn't waste their time on them.

Remember schedule c ruin habitat for native species so they need to be removed.
Jason

Mr. Dean
09-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Old (like this thread) but nonetheless, funny as hell and the comments go for a couple pg's.

Add a comment if ya like. :lol:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6981&title=trophy-rodent-hunting40-mrdean-27s-ranch&cat=500

BRvalley
09-27-2012, 12:19 PM
when I was a kid we mailed in a batch of squirrel tails to mepps spinners....saw an ad in the back of a magazine....mepps grades the tails...i think a premium tail was 25 cents, grade b was 19 cents and then 15 cents...something like that....not really worth it to most people but was fun for me and my buddies to do when were growing up

Mr. Dean
09-27-2012, 01:04 PM
We used to get $$$ for gopher tails too, back in the day (on the prairies anyways).
We also got 'credits' for each Popsicle wrapper that we hunted for in ditch's, around general stores....

I actually saved enough wrappers to get me a bow-n-arrow set-up. :mrgreen:
Gopher tail coins got us more .22 ammo....

Ahhh the good times. :razz:

Grousedaddy
09-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Just wanted to say Dee lake resort is a joke! Spent this labour day weekend there and it was the worst resort ive ever stayed at and the fishing was horrible! Will never go back! Anyone ever eat squirrel meat? Is it good?

2tins
09-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Tree rats. I killed millions of them in my youth with my hunting partners of the day. I will say that they do taste a bit like chicken.

PointMan
09-27-2012, 05:44 PM
WOW Can't believe this one got resurrected, must be boring in the internet world. LOL

TheProvider
09-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Squirrels are pretty tasty, just not much on them

Gunner
09-27-2012, 05:49 PM
I'll do some more research, if you're right, I'll quit and put up with the noise. ;)Pete's right,only red squirrels in the Dee lakes area(and most of the Interior).The grey and black squirrels are class "C",and tend to hang around towns.There are no true fox squirrels in BC. The true coastal squirrel in the Douglas Pine squirrel,it has a yellowish belly and is smaller than the others.You can't shoot them either. Gunner

Mr. Dean
09-28-2012, 11:35 AM
I missed out on a blackie this morning. :sad:
By the time I got the gun and loaded up, the thing Tarzan'ed outta here.

Crafty lil' bugger.

Getbent
09-28-2012, 04:00 PM
I gut shot a squirrel with my pellet gun when i was 7 or 8 it ran up a tree then fell then ran up and fell screaming like hell the whole time I was shocked.it finally slowed down and i thought its ok little fella youll be ok then my dad walked up grabbed my gun and put one in its head.I cried like a baby it put me off of hunting for quite a while.I got better though.But i would never shoot a squirrel again.I can still hear the screaming.

Bwahaha that is like silence of the lambs.....sorry bike rider but I found it kinda funny, must be the overtired and too many advil thing....