PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Elk Trip!

Tank
09-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Our usual group of four was going to start as a group of three this year as Chris had work obligations that would keep him out of camp for the first 3 days of the hunt. His 10 yr old son Michael was still eager to go (even without his dad) so he caught a ride with my dad and we all met up at my sisters in FSJ on Thursday night.
Friday morning had us up early and rolling out of town to the ranch that we normaly set up camp on for our annual elk hunt. The actual area we hunt is between 20 and 40 minutes (driving) from our camp spot...but it sure is nice to be able to leave our stuff unguarded on private property when we are out for the day! After having a good visit with the land owner and getting camp set up there wasn't too much time left in the day so we took it easy and scouted some area right beside camp. With out much to show for our effort got ready for the morning hunt which would take us down a draw that Chris took his big bull out of in 08'.

We rolled in before first light and with bugles in hand started working down a game trail that would get us down to the elevation we wanted to hunt. Michael was eager to show off his bugleing skills (which were much improved since last year) and on his second attempt he got a response! The call came from way down the valley so we continued moving in that direction, pausing occasionaly to call and try to get a location on the other bull. The other bull clamed up and all we could do was was continue on our original route, calling as we walked. We conected up with an old cutline and heard some noise in the bush off to our right. Within a few seconds a tan hide was spotted moving between an opening in the trees and heading for cutline about 100 yrds ahead of us. We all hunkered down, dad chambered a round and I turned on the video camera. After a moment or two of silence I gave a quick cow call and an elk stepped half way out onto the line! A Bull! This guy was clearly legal so there was little time wasted getting a shot off. 70 yrds later we had the first elk of the trip on the first morning hunt! Here is my dads 5x5...
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/ALELK10.jpg
This bull dropped less than 400 yrds from Chris' bull in 2008. It was sure a treat to have a trail already cut for the quad!

Tank
09-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Most of Friday was spent pulling the 5x5 out of the bush. Saturday morning had us on the other side of the valley in an area we had pulled two bulls out of in the past. Some recent logging had reduced that size of the area considerably, but the elk sign was still good as we pushed further in. After two hours of hiking and calling in the rain, a bulled bugled in the bush in front of us. Michael and I were already walking out front, with my dad calling about 50 yrds behind us, so we slipped off to the side of the trail we were on and set up behind a tree. The bull called again....there was a row of spruce trees snaking through the aspen, more or less following our trail, and this elk sounded like he was coming right up the tree line. We had a 50/50 chance that he would appear on our side of the line which would give us a clear shot. Michael had a round in with the bolt up and I crouched behind him with the camera rolling again. A loud bugle let us know that the bull was close...but where would he step out? Movement on the other side of the line of spruce let us know that we had picked the wrong side. The elk had picked up the movment we made as we adjusted to shoot to our left. The bull (a 6x?) peer at us through a gap in the trees. Michael watched through the scope, but the shot wasn't clear....a neck shot through a small space in the branches was about the only option that may have been available. Michael opted to hold off as this was not the shot he was looking for. The bull slipped away and into the next small coolie away from us. We snuck up to the edge to get a glimps of the bull through the aspen on the other side of the coolie....about 150 yrds away and only small openings through the trees would provide a shot. Again, this wasn't what Michael was looking for so we this guy would live for another day. We finished that morning hunt by exploring several small draws that kepted us out and hiking hard for 6 hours...but no more luck.

cainer
09-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Nice. Sounds like a fine coupla days. Congrats! I'll be looking for something just a bit older than that in a few days time.

shawnwells
09-19-2010, 11:20 AM
super bull congrats !!

Tank
09-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Saturday evening through Monday morning were spent checking out some of the areas that had been on our "to do" list over the last few years, but with little elk action to show for it. The weather had been great, -2 over night and highs of 10. We also noticed other hunting camps starting to pop up...in fact 2 camps were directly in "our" area. On our way back to camp after our Monday morning hunt, we spotted a mule deer doe right at the entrance to the ranch we were staying at. The truck rolled to a stop....and the doe continued to feed. When it comes to archery Michael is a National champion for his age class and a terror on the 3D course so he was more than pumped when he got the go-ahead for a stalk. I got the camera rolling and we all watched in amazment as this doe let Michael get within his bow range! Even the land owner had the timing right to roll up in his tractor and spectate the event. Once Michael gets within his range there isn't much left but the field dressing. After the shot the doe ran into the feild (not the bush thankfully) and we were able to roll the truck right up to it for photos! Not the way things always work out, but its sure great when it does. Michael could hardly contain himself as he waited for his dad to roll into camp that afternoon!!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Michaeldoe10.jpg

shadowhunter
09-19-2010, 11:21 AM
gontrats on the bull guys!

kennyj
09-19-2010, 11:22 AM
More , More !
kenny

willyqbc
09-19-2010, 11:51 AM
More , More !

HA HA!!! Patience....there is definately more!! MUCH, MUCH more!!!!:mrgreen:

Chris

Tank
09-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Chris arrived at camp that afternoon and, after a couple rounds of high-fives for Michaels archery doe and my dads 5x5, it was time to make a plan for the evening. With the reality that 2 hunting camps were quading up our usual spots, my dad consulted his maps and circled three draws that were pretty well only accesable by boots. He was keen to hit the first one that evening. It was decided that my dad and I would drop into his first pick that evening and Chris would take Michael to an area close by that we had yet to explore. On our way in we noted that there were now 3 hunting camps set up! After dropping off Chris, Michael and the truck, my dad and I started the 1300 yrd treck that would take us down a cutline to the elevation that we had figured to be the best place to start. Once there we plunged into the bush and started handrailing around the draw. 20 min into the hike I found a nice 6 pt shed....I hated to leave it there and opted to pack it around for the evening instead. Shortly after, on one of our pauses to bugle, we got a response! It sounded close! I quickly put on my face mask and gloves and curled up behind a spruce tree out in front (and a bit down wind) of my dad. Despite his best efforts, my dad could not get the bull to light up again. I eventualy crept forward a short distance to see if he had hung-up anywhere close at hand, but.....nothing. We started to move forward again...down across another small coolie filled with spruce, when I spotted a tan hide up the hill. The aspen opened up a bit here, so I could see it was a cow about 150 yrds away feeding on the hillside. We were convince that the bull we had heard must be close at hand! I let loose a mighty bugle (as far as I can do anyway) and used the shed to thrash a tree next to us. I really let fly....hacking branches, kicking logs, stomping my feet. Still nothing. My dad grabed the shed to keep raking and told me to start creeping forward. I took three steps out from the spruce we were in and not 70 yrds up the hill was the bull...staring straight at me! I could see his head and neck and part of his antlers. I dropped down to a log for a rest and chambered a round and brought the cross hairs onto his neck. I tried to remember to find the spine (not the middle of the neck) and squeezed off. The bull dropped his head and looked around...not the reaction I was going for! I chambered again a fired......the bull fell were he stood! Man I was pumped! Several cows could be seen trotting out of view.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/JamesElk10.jpg

Closer examination would show that the first shot was over the spine and only unzipped the leather.
My dad and I dressed and skinned the bull for his night in the woods and managed to get out just before dark. We returned in the morning with the whole crew and a couple packs to start the day long process of carrying him out piece by piece.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/PackinOut.jpg
A big thanks to a group of hunting buddies that will sacrifice a day of hunting to help haul your elk out of the woods! especially considering Chris already missed three days of the trip and then gave up his first moring in!

Tank
09-19-2010, 11:58 AM
I'll hand the rest of the story over to Chris as it is time for lunch and he will likely want to get in on telling of the next couple days.....

willyqbc
09-19-2010, 12:57 PM
We did indeed lose a day of hunting packing out James’ bull, then fleshing the cape and dealing with the quarters, but well worth it for a bull that we rough scored at 320" gross. The next morning found us heading for spot #2 on Al’s list of draws to check out, but before we got there he pulled the truck over to deal with some morning duties brought on by the chile from the previous day!!! While we waited for him in the early dawn james let out a bugle and shortly after we had a response!!! Off we go, everyone pumped to be on the trail of another bull!! Long story short we were not able to get this bull really going, so the result of the day was a bunch of really sore feet and no elk sightings. We were starting to think the amount of pressure in the area was really starting to shut the elk up so the plan for the following morning was to hit spot #3 on Al’s list. This spot was a likely looking draw about 2km from the nearest road so we had high hopes that it may not have been pressured. Next morning we arrive at what we figured would be a good jumping off spot to access this draw only to find a large clearcut that had not been there the year before.....oh well, the draw should still be a ways off the beaten path so we decide to check it out anyway. As we were getting the daypacks on james lets out a bugle and we get an immediate response....GAME ON!!! We head across the clearcut with Michael and I about 150 yards ahead of Tank and his Dad, who are calling behind us. As I hit the timber I realize it is only a strip of timber and there is a road that swings away and up from where we are. Just then another bugle is heard from away up in the direction the road is swinging but it is very distant so we pick up the pace. As the road swings around it becomes clear it is going to open into another clearcut. Just then another bugle...this one much closer than the last....it dawns on me that we have not one but two bulls ahead getting more and more worked up........................

willyqbc
09-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Now knowing we have multiple bulls going we slow our pace and proceed cautiously to the edge of the next clearcut. Immediately upon getting a look into the block I spot a spiker about 300 yards to my left and i see several cow heads and ears moving along the backside of a ridge in the block....clearly bee-lining for the back corner. The two bulls ahead are still bugling regularly so we continue up through the block. About 500 yards from the back treeline i hear a bugle that sounds as though it is allready coming from in the trees, at the same time two cows come over the ridge in front of me at 300 yards. With cows being open I am trying to decide if a bird in hand is indeed worth 2 in the bush. As i am looking at this cow through the scope a bugle sounds just over a roll to me left and it sounds no more than 100 yards away....decision made.....pass the cow and try and get Michael this bull. As we cautiously aproach the roll in the hill I am slightly ahead of Michael and several feet below him. The rest happened so fast it is a bit of a blur to me.........I suddenly hear from my 10 year old son in an urgent hushed whisper " DAD MOVE!!!!!! In all the same instant as my head swivels I take in the scene of the top of a bulls head and his rack coming over the hill and my son bringing up his gun. I take 3 three quick steps forward to clear his shooting lane and turn to look at the bull. Now at this point I am expecting Michael to ask me if he should shoot, or to see him fumbling with his gun or some other such issue......but that just wasn’t the case. I was priveledged enough to watch my son quickly drop his bolt, shoulder his rifle and shoot this bull in the chest in less than 2 seconds. It just boggled my mind that he acted like such a veteran.....he recognized the situation, knew what needed to be done and did it!!! You could hear the impact and the bull reacted immediately, spinning and wheeling back over the hill, I took off in pursuit and as i crested the hill I could see about 150 yards to the timber with no running elk in sight. As I quickly scanned the timber for sign of a fleeing elk the deep throaty bugle we had heard earlier sounded from about 300 yards above me seemingly right along the treeline. Now Tank and his dad are still moving up and calling so I quickly tell michael to stay right where the elk was standing to mark his spot until Tank and Al get up to him and i take off running up the hill as fast as my fat backside can move.............

willyqbc
09-19-2010, 01:53 PM
............after getting myself about a 1/3 of the way up the hill I hear the bull ahead go off again and realize that not only are the boys below holding the bull at timberline...they actuall have him turned and heading right for me. I gotta say at this point, there is no greater rush in the hunting woods for me than that moment when you realize you are going to seal the deal....when that bull started coming back to the callers I got a huge rush of adrenaline as i KNEW we were going to get this bull. So I slow down and catch my breath as i know there is nothing to rest on and it will have to be a freehand shot. As i continue up the hill his antler tips materialze over the horizon at about 150 yards....as the rack comes into view, I see large heavy beams and there is no doubt this bull is legal. Just then he turns to my left and starts to walk braodsise in front of me, the bottom 1/3 of his body is covered by the hill so as i bring up my gun the crosshairs just seem to settle on the high shoulder shot and I squeeze the trigger.....the result was instantaneous with the bull collapsing in a heap. I run forward and pump a quick insurance shot into his neck and know he is down for good! I let out a war whoop to let the boys below know that all was well up where i was! A quick look over my shoulder told me this bull was big....really big, but i knew he was down for good and the fate of Michaels bull was still in question so i took off down the hill to see what was going on. As I approached the spot where Michael shot from I see him and James working back up towards me, and more importantly towards a large tan shape in the block. Michaels bull was down for good, it had cut hard right once out of sight and did not run straight for the trees as I had suspected....it was only 70 yards from where he shot. Michael and I got to his bull at the same time and some bear hugs from a teary eyed father went on for a while!!!! I could not believe that not only had he gotten his first elk, but to do it as part of a double header with Dad was something that I cannot even describe. Quite simply the best morning of my hunting life.......nothing else even comes close!!!

Okay so now for the pics and the particulars!!!!

Michaels bull shot with his 260 using a 120grn Barnes TTSX over 36 grains of H4895. Bullet entered the brisket about 1" off center travelleved through the vitals and exited just in front of the back hip. Check out that smile!!! Apperantly when james initially got up to him he was little more than a babbling idiot and could get any info out of his mouth to help James in where to start looking:mrgreen:...adrenaline overload!!!!!!:-D

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/michaels_bull_2010_small.JPG

Now my quick look at my bull told me he was a good bull, but I had no idea how good until we got back up to him and had a good look!! He is a heavy, dark 9X7....I am certainly not a certified scorer but 3 careful tapings back at home have me coming up with a gross score of 352 7/8"

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/chris_bull_2010_group_small.JPG

I would like to say at this point, this is not MY bull but rather OUR bull. We have been very fortunate over the past 3 years to take 8 bulls from this area with 3 of those going well over 300". I just don't think any 1 of us would have had that kind of success on our own. I really feel the combined efforts of the whole group, each bringing their own special skills to the table is what has resulted in some very succesful elk hunts for us. Michael and I both feel very fortunate to be a part of this very special group!!!

Hope you enjoyed the read!
Chris & Michael

Sitkaspruce
09-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Wow!!!!!

Congrats to ALL of you on a very successful hunt!!!!

Cudo's to you and your son for the special time you are spending together. Nothing like a double header!!!!!

Cheers

SS

Farmer
09-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Congrats to the 4 of you nice elk all the way around. It is awesome that Michael connected. And thanks to you and Tank for the story of your hunt.
Well done!

Tank
09-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Thanks Chris. What an awesome hunt! Every year we declare "best hunt ever!"....but this one is going to be hard to top.

Congrats again to Michael for being a top-quality hunting buddy at such a young age.....and anything he lacks in experience he makes up for with his good natured personality (must get that from Sam).

Here is a pick of the crew with all the hardware from the trip.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/GroupElk10.jpg

BimmerBob
09-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Wow, great read and a lotta bull elk down for your group, nicely done and congratulations on the successful teamwork!

Mik
09-19-2010, 02:32 PM
That is Fantastic! A double header with your son-awesome! Congrats all around; kudos to the hunting party for taking your son, and a bow kill doe ta boot:)

d6dan
09-19-2010, 02:45 PM
What a perfect hunt!. 4 for 4 on elk and a flattop to boot!. Excellent story and pics guys. Michael's smile says it all Chris..Congrats all around.:-D

cas-has-cars
09-19-2010, 03:39 PM
WOW! What a Hunt!

Little Red Man
09-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Outstanding!!.....excellent pics and story....can't wait for my turn to ge out there...(soon...soon)!

OutWest
09-19-2010, 04:04 PM
That's how you tell a story! Awesome pictures as well. Congrats to all of you guys!

Bowzone_Mikey
09-19-2010, 04:23 PM
I just seen Chris' Email .... way more excited than the thread portrays ...
James, Al, Micheal and Chris ...

Congrats guys ...

That is truely an awesome trip

thetackdriver
09-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Way to lay the smack down on some nice elk. Great job guys

Rattler
09-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Great teamwork guys! Congrats on some very nice bulls...

TIKA 300
09-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Holy crap !!! Good on all of you.

tomla1
09-19-2010, 08:14 PM
you guys should just quit now, I dont think it gets better than that. WOW!!

Marc
09-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Nice going boys! Congrats Michael on a great looking bull! There is going to be lots in the freezer this winter by the looks of things.

jikkyo
09-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Sounds like an awesome trip! How many pounds of meat did you guys get at the end? lol

todbartell
09-19-2010, 09:44 PM
excellent!!!!!!!!!!! congrats to all! especially Michael

Caveman
09-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Awesome Job One and All!!!

Spy
09-19-2010, 11:13 PM
What a fantastic trip you guys had! :mrgreen:Thanks for a great story & sharing it. Well done to you all.

gbear
09-20-2010, 07:00 AM
Congrats guys on this amazing hunt

willyqbc
09-20-2010, 07:22 AM
How many pounds of meat did you guys get at the end?

The quarters etc filled the box of my truck up to the base of my canopy....I was glad I have airbags!!:mrgreen: We were able to butcher the first 2 elk when we got home and after deboning and hard trimming to remove all fat/silverskin/tendens and any other goobery bits, we were left with over 300#'s of pure red meat plus the ribs. So I'm guessing we will end the day with around 650-700#'s of elky goodness in the freezers!!!

Chris

oldtimer
09-20-2010, 07:26 AM
Hope some of that finds it's way too the old retired folks Freezer. Home soon anxious to watch the videos. Poppa Mike

moose2
09-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Elk trips don't get any better than that. Good stories and nice pictures. Congratulations on a fine hunt.
Thanks for posting Mike

whitespringer
09-20-2010, 07:50 AM
:smile:Wow, what a trip! Congrats to you and your son on an awesome double header! That will be hard to top. Congrats also to the rest of your crew pulling together to accomplish something special!

Leaseman
09-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Way to go Michael (and Dad....:wink:)!!!!

Cingrats on two very fine animals...... I will make sure Nick sees these pictures as he will be very jealous....:mrgreen:

Make sure you bring down a video in the spring/summer when you come again for sturgeon...... I want to see Nick's (and Michaels) faces!!!

willyqbc
09-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Leaseman....unfortunately only 1 of 4 bulls made it to video but we did get michaels doe on tape:-D

Oldtimer....there may be just enough meat for you and mom to get a package of steaks!:wink:

Chris

The Hermit
09-21-2010, 09:43 AM
This story warms the cockles of my heart! Congrats on a great trip guys!

farside
09-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Oldtimer....there may be just enough meat for you and mom to get a package of steaks!:wink:

Chris

STINGY KID!!!:twisted:

Elkhound
09-21-2010, 09:54 AM
LOL......great job boys. What a hunt.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-21-2010, 10:39 AM

Chris

lmao ...
Well, slap me thrice and hand me to me mama!
-Gibbs

rifleman
09-21-2010, 11:42 AM
holy smokes. you guys sure did well. did you leave any bulls for next year?

Tank
09-21-2010, 11:58 AM
holy smokes. you guys sure did well. did you leave any bulls for next year?

At least one...it was serenading us the entire time we were dressing Michael's and Chris' bulls. It didn't feel right to ignore a bugling bull, but what can you do when your outta tags:??

trigger
09-21-2010, 12:16 PM
wooow . great storey. That is just awesome. what a trip eh. Congrats to you all.