PDA

View Full Version : Can I Hunt in Hiking Trails?

Stéphane
09-18-2010, 09:54 PM
I was wondering if I could bring my bow while hiking. I know for a fact that a lot of hikers aren't thrilled about it, but is it legal? I cannot find anything about it in the synopsis. I going for an hour hike tomorrow in zone 2.3 and I'm thinking of looking for grouse while I'm at it.

Thanks in advance,

SG

Shooter
09-18-2010, 09:56 PM
As long as it is legal to hunt there fill yer boots. I can't stop people from hiking where I hunt.

winchester284
09-18-2010, 10:59 PM
If this is a popular hiking area and you know it will offend other hikers, why would you hunt there? While a minority of the hikers might object to the idea that you are hunting, I would bet that most of them are concerned with their own safety.

If there is a lot of hiking traffic the game will likely be in cover anyways.

Stéphane
09-19-2010, 08:43 AM
I guess it is common sense. That's what I thought. Thanks, mates.

Mr. Dean
09-20-2010, 10:01 AM
I would, if it could be done safely AND it's legal hunting lands. If it offended someone, so what? I find it offensive that others wanna restrict me on a legal past-time of mine, and do they try to accomodate? I don't think so. If we don't stand up for ourselves or the ones beside us, it won't take long for MORE restrictions to be placed on us.

Where's this 'trail'? Maybe I need to give it a try.

winchester284
09-20-2010, 10:36 AM
It's about respecting each other.

How would you feel if an anti-hunter found out where your favorite honey holes were and decided to practice playing his accordion there at prime hunting times? :mrgreen:

It's totally legal for him to do so......

igojuone
09-20-2010, 10:41 AM

How would you feel if an anti-hunter found out where your favorite honey holes were and decided to practice playing his accordion there at prime hunting times? :mrgreen:

No it is not legal for him to do so, he would be interfering with a legal hunt, which is illegal if that was his intention. That being said we should all try to get along.

Gateholio
09-20-2010, 10:45 AM
You aren't responsible for the emotional response triggered by a hiker viewing you engaged in your legal and safe activity.

Mountain biking and hiking are far more likely to cause them injury than your arrows, so safety shouldn't even be an issue.

I've shot grouse right on the side of popular hiking/biking trails many times.

winchester284
09-20-2010, 10:50 AM
No it is not legal for him to do so, he would be interfering with a legal hunt, which is illegal if that was his intention. That being said we should all try to get along.

The example may not be the best, but the point is respecting each other. There are better places to hunt than on a hiking trail.

Jelvis
09-20-2010, 10:51 AM
I was out with buddy and we were driving up by the old Tranquille Farm. We were hunting and heading to Red Lake area to scout out a spot we seen some deer. Just as we left the Tranquille river and started up the road towards Dew Drop flats a rat a tat tats, we saw two bucks on a trail, wham!
My bud says there are two bucks what you waiting for, blast a buck. I said no way ok too close to trails people use.
We kept going, on the way back we saw a group of four hikers right where the two bucks were in the early morning.
Jel .. The moral of this story is .. avoid confrontations with hikers, bikers and joggers. Logger heads.
... even tho it's perfectly legal, it ain't worth the hassle to be King of da Castle. In My Hum bell opinion.

seanps
09-20-2010, 11:21 AM

Ha! This made me spit my coffee out. Nice joke.

1/2 slam
09-20-2010, 11:28 AM
I would, if it could be done safely AND it's legal hunting lands. If it offended someone, so what? I find it offensive that others wanna restrict me on a legal past-time of mine, and do they try to accomodate? I don't think so. If we don't stand up for ourselves or the ones beside us, it won't take long for MORE restrictions to be placed on us.

Where's this 'trail'? Maybe I need to give it a try.

Well said. I'm through hiding.

Paulyman
09-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Hey Stephane! I think I saw you on Clubtread. You're a member right? some of those people are nuts!

Mr. Dean
09-21-2010, 12:56 AM
What makes a 'hiking trail'?

I see networks of paths everywhere I go.... Is it 'something' [a path] that a group of people like and it just becomes, "The Trail" for them? If so, I bet it was hunted long before it became popular.

Some here have posted that it's about sharing and respect - Those thoughts run both ways AND there's been A TON of land set aside for user groups such as these [hikers], to go it alone and feel safe from the forever fearful, 'Hunter'.... From Stanley Park to Manning Park; lottsa places to go that have been closed to hunters already - We're limited to access (hunting) because of management (seasons). Is it really fair that we should lose this limited access of Crown Lands, all together? Sure it's a 2 way street, but exactly when, is it,,,, my turn?

xtremearchery
09-21-2010, 07:36 AM
I was wondering if I could bring my bow while hiking. I know for a fact that a lot of hikers aren't thrilled about it, but is it legal? I cannot find anything about it in the synopsis. I going for an hour hike tomorrow in zone 2.3 and I'm thinking of looking for grouse while I'm at it.

Thanks in advance,

SG

You need to buy a Fraser Valley special area permit. I hunt that area allot. Make sure u know the area cause there is allot of park land in that area which is not posted al that good.

Gateholio
09-21-2010, 07:55 AM
What makes a 'hiking trail'?

I see networks of paths everywhere I go.... Is it 'something' [a path] that a group of people like and it just becomes, "The Trail" for them? If so, I bet it was hunted long before it became popular.

Sn?

Most of the "mountain bike" trails around here were deer and other game trails that bikers started riding on (and turning into barren ditches in some cases)

The older, established hiking trails were around long before any of the current hikers, and rest assured the old timers that used these trails carried guns.

Stéphane
09-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Hey Stephane! I think I saw you on Clubtread. You're a member right? some of those people are nuts!
Yeah, I am the same guy, and I agree with you about some of those wackos.

I did go hunting in the Cheam/Lady Peak region. I went very early, so there was nobody there . . . so I thought. I saw another bow hunter on his quad looking for big games on the road leading to the trail head, while I was seeking grouses and ptarmigans. Anyhow, going up the trail I was alone and hunting. Coming back, I saw hikers on their way up. They all seemed happy/intrigued to see my birds and bow. Mind you, I wouldn't have been shooting if there would have been people around.

Paulyman
09-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I am the same guy, and I agree with you about some of those wackos.

I did go hunting in the Cheam/Lady Peak region. I went very early, so there was nobody there . . . so I thought. I saw another bow hunter on his quad looking for big games on the road leading to the trail head, while I was seeking grouses and ptarmigans. Anyhow, going up the trail I was alone and hunting. Coming back, I saw hikers on their way up. They all seemed happy/intrigued to see my birds and bow. Mind you, I wouldn't have been shooting if there would have been people around.

Grouse eh? I know a ridge line around Hope that is littered with Grouse.Maybe we should take a hike in there...I mean go for a hunt ;)

Stéphane
09-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Grouse eh? I know a ridge line around Hope that is littered with Grouse.Maybe we should take a hike in there...I mean go for a hunt ;)

If you're serious about it, I'm in. But it will have to be later next month. I just changed string and other things on my bow, and I need some serious practice before I go back.
Cheers!

SG

jhausner
09-27-2010, 03:05 PM
I find the odds are if it is a highly traffic area for hikers, they will be loud and annoying anyway so have most likely scared all the animals away. You're almost always better off hunting areas with little to know people so the animals are less on edge.

So while it may be legal, you have to not think about respecting people that will be offended but rather think about your own odds and best chances for a successful hunt. If you're strictly stating you want to hike and take your bow along too just in case, then that's a different story and I'd say go ahead.

Just be concious of the fact if you down something near a trail and hikers come running by seeing you dealing with game, they may get a bit freakish. The closer to Vancouver you are the more over the top your reactions can be.

So again stick to low human areas. And besides, maybe it's just me but I like to go hunting to get away from as many humans as possible. I deal with people every day at work in the office, my hunting time is for me, a few close buddies, and the bushes shared with wildlife.

stitch
09-27-2010, 03:22 PM
I was out on Saturday and was sitting up in the mountains having lunch with my dad. We heard voices and around the corner came 3 people. One lady made the joke and said don't mistake me for a bear bcause I'm dressed in black. I said don't worry you look nothing like the bear we saw earlier. She just about shat in her pants. Stopped and asked if we were serious. I get a kick out of people who think that just because the area can be hiked that there is no wild animals lurking around

jhausner
09-27-2010, 03:39 PM
I was out on Saturday and was sitting up in the mountains having lunch with my dad. We heard voices and around the corner came 3 people. One lady made the joke and said don't mistake me for a bear bcause I'm dressed in black. I said don't worry you look nothing like the bear we saw earlier. She just about shat in her pants. Stopped and asked if we were serious. I get a kick out of people who think that just because the area can be hiked that there is no wild animals lurking around

Very true. There's a reason when I hike I still carry bear spray around. Be amazed how many people laugh at me. Still when I'm actually hunting I like to stay away from people because people in the bush tend to annoy me. :)

09-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Why would you want to hunt on designated hiking trails with tree huggers around.
I get as far away as I can from them, even the hikers push game. And they always blame it on over hunting.

CT

Paulyman
09-27-2010, 11:41 PM
I guess another valid question is are hikers allowed to hike where people are hunting. You have just as much right as they do and don't forget it.

sawmill
09-28-2010, 03:59 AM
Probably not kosher to leave a gut pile at the trailside:mrgreen:

slayer B
09-28-2010, 09:42 AM
I've been 1 1/2 hours into the bush and half way up the side of a mountain hunting deer when I seen a wolf cruising down the trail. I watched him for a minute waiting for a clear spot in the bush to take the shot when I seen a flash of movement 40 sum odd yards behind it. I quickly looked to see what it was when I realized that it was a man. The dumbass was walking his wolfdog in the middle of nowhere with nothing on the dog, like a vest or bright collar. He never did realize how close he came to having his dog shot right in front of him. Hikers are EVERYWHERE! So I wouldn't let them stop you from hunting. Besides if you do it right you could probably use them to push the deer right to you :)

Spokerider
09-28-2010, 01:18 PM
I've been 1 1/2 hours into the bush and half way up the side of a mountain hunting deer when I seen a wolf cruising down the trail. I watched him for a minute waiting for a clear spot in the bush to take the shot when I seen a flash of movement 40 sum odd yards behind it. I quickly looked to see what it was when I realized that it was a man. The dumbass was walking his wolfdog in the middle of nowhere with nothing on the dog, like a vest or bright collar. He never did realize how close he came to having his dog shot right in front of him. Hikers are EVERYWHERE! So I wouldn't let them stop you from hunting. Besides if you do it right you could probably use them to push the deer right to you :)

BINGO!
Thats the trouble when we hunters are in a hunting-mode-mindset, and hikers are doing their thing, pretty much oblivious to the fact that there are hunters stalking about, and why we have to dang, dang sure of the animal that we are looking at is what our mind is telling us what it is, and not someone`s pet.

I hike in the middle of nowhere, with my dog in tow. I also hunt in the middle of no where, and NEVER take it for granted that I am alone.

jhausner
09-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Yikes. That guy or rather his dog is lucky. The problem isn't with hikers so much as it is with people that just don't use their heads. There are plenty of hunters like that too and there are plenty of hikers that are respectful and understand the wilderness they travel into.

I don't have much time for the urbanites that go hiking in the bush and expect everything to be safe and tranquil, and I happen to be an urbanite, just one with a head. Most of my friends when they venture into hunting zones during hunting season, make darn sure their dog has a nice orange vest on for the above reason. It's just common sense.

It was actually funny I was hiking around Buntzen Lake with a few buddies 2 years ago and we were passed on an upper trail by two trail runners wearing antler hats. They were basically warm winter hats (like the jester hats you see some snowboarders wear) but with antlers. We stopped them both and mentioned to them that they were less than 1km from an active hunting zone and that it was pretty idiotic to be wearing those hats especially given they were off trail and in dark clothing.

They scoffed at us like we were insane so we just shrugged as they kept on. It's people like that which are the issue and again why I like to get as far away from people when I'm in hunting mode. :) The further away the better imo!

pinebushman
09-30-2010, 04:52 AM
For those looking to hunt hiking trails.... I did see 3 bears a couple weeks ago on a prominent hiking trail near Chilliwack. get there early and its a bit of a pack back to the parking area, but they are blueberry fed.