PDA

View Full Version : 1st Buck - 4pt Whitetail

APOSTLEsix
09-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Hey all,

Pretty new here and super stoked to post up a take-down so early this season. While it's my second year hunting, I never did get a buck last year as I was using a shotgun only (and I sucked, lol).

This year, however, I am geared to the hilts. Picked up a beater Pick-up last month, got a scope for my b-day last week and my most newly acquired piece of equipment, a Browning .338 win mag stainless stalker, which just arrived YESTERDAY.

Took her out rainy and early this morning, sighted 'er in at 50yds 1" high as per ballistics to zero @ 200. Afterwards, I kept on driving up into the highlands looking for a nice 4pt Mule to eat my fresh lead.

After the "no-shows" of a few sit-in's overlooking the clear-cuts I buggered off, only to find a 2pt Mulie wandering the FSR... Hiked up and hiked down and hiked around looking for his big brother only to conclude all those who post about hunting in the rain are absolutely crazy... Or are they?

Jumped in the truck to head further into oblivion... 5k further seen two whitetails flag off into the field to the right. And one is a BUCK! I was quite surprised to see them this high into the mountains but none the less, any buck is lookin good to my zero (0) buck count. Jumped out of the truck, grabbed my clip and the new cannon. But I only see the one... and it's the doe... DOH! I figure the buck has run off into the treed edges of the field.

The old me would have run right into the field, shotguns blazing. But the new, improved, sniper version of myself is thinking, wait and see, he's probably out there. I take up position overlooking the field and can see the doe in the magnifier. Then I see the buck too. But all I can see is the neck and head at +/-125yds quartering-away. I time it for when they are looking away and go into prone and get ready to see how well this thing is sighted in.

Adrenaline is pumping, can't hold steady, man I'm noob. Probably a full minute into my scoping and finally I think "this guys not gonna be here forever. Squeeze it." BOOOM Hair flying in an orb shaped halo, like a zero gravity explosion. No deer running. 338 on target, Ya, I'm thinking he's done... wait the appropriate 10 sec's and off I go to check it out.

I find out, it's not a field, it's a marsh. Next piece of equipment... Gum Boots. Doe's still standing around, waiting for the stud to make a move, but he ain't going anywhere. Down for the count.

Rack ain't a bragger but heck I got more mouths to feed than the easter bunny.

28 years old, un-mentored, solo operative. 1st of many Bucks.

Pics Here:

http://s872.photobucket.com/albums/ab287/ApostleSIX/?action=view&current=IMG_6361.jpg

http://s872.photobucket.com/albums/ab287/ApostleSIX/?action=view&current=IMG_6363.jpg

http://s872.photobucket.com/albums/ab287/ApostleSIX/?action=view&current=IMG_6364.jpg

http://s872.photobucket.com/albums/ab287/ApostleSIX/?action=view&current=IMG_6369.jpg

BimmerBob
09-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Good on ya, looks like you have it figured out and a nice buck for your troubles. Congratulations!

coglark
09-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Nice first buck! Good shot with a new rifle too:-D

patdel
09-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Great first buck and a whitetail to boot! That one will be fantastic eating and looks like you did a great job cleaning him too. Congrats

islander7mm
09-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Great story. I'd take that buck for sure.
The kids look stoked.

NoLimit99
09-19-2010, 12:12 AM
I've never heard of a dear rug before? Not sure if that would work, im sure the antlers would hurt if fallen on or hmmm maybe even triped over in a drunken well.... you get the hint. Nice buck

Wild Images
09-19-2010, 04:25 AM
Good 1st buck, should be tastyhttp://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab287/ApostleSIX/IMG_6361.jpg

jaeger
09-19-2010, 04:50 AM
Congratulation on your first buck! Good Job.
May I suuggest to cut the tarsel gland off before you start butchering, you dont want the scent pad to contaminate the meat.
Cheers Jaeger

Martin_Hunter
09-19-2010, 05:23 AM
Good job.Keep up the good work...

Bistchen
09-19-2010, 05:33 AM
Congrads man!!!! Im 28 years old as well. I started hunting 4 years ago, un- mentored too! Keep up the good work! You will learn more and more every year. Your first buck will tell you that you are on the right track. Nice buck.

kennyj
09-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Congratulations on your first buck! I enjoyed your story.
kenny

Mik
09-19-2010, 08:43 AM
For a First Buck, thats pretty awesome, Congrats.

APOSTLEsix
09-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the comments guys,
Deer rug was just a ruse, already disassembled, good point about the danger there though. Tarsal gland to come off still, I will make sure of it. It's not going to damage the meat while hanging right? Also, should I try to take off excess fat while its hanging? It's already wrapped in cloth so I don't want to take it off unless necessary.
Gonna butcher it this afternoon I think (24hrs post kill) it's 12 degrees outside and I was told to keep it under 10. Should I worry?
bd

TIKA 300
09-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Mmmmm whitetail,nice shooting.

SURGE
09-19-2010, 09:02 AM
good job on your first deer i bet you got the bug now!!!!!! your the new mentor for your young ones so enjoy it's a blast cheers

whitespringer
09-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Way to go Dad. Pretty good feeling bringing home the bacon, er.. deer.:mrgreen:

nano
09-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Congrats on your first deer!

cainer
09-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the comments guys,
Deer rug was just a ruse, already disassembled, good point about the danger there though. Tarsal gland to come off still, I will make sure of it. It's not going to damage the meat while hanging right? Also, should I try to take off excess fat while its hanging? It's already wrapped in cloth so I don't want to take it off unless necessary.
Gonna butcher it this afternoon I think (24hrs post kill) it's 12 degrees outside and I was told to keep it under 10. Should I worry?
bd

should be fine for the day...I've hung mine in warmer for longer (not by choice) and it turned out fine. I actually have mine hanging in the garage right now as well...and it's definitely not cold outside.
oh yeah-nice job on the first! it only gets harder ;)

Yotapup
09-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Very nice, congrats!

Question, is that a Remy Model 700? and where'd you get that muzzle break? Been looking for one for mine.

cainer
09-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Hope you got some earplugs to go with that muzzle brake-that's gotta sound like cannon-but i guess all you would here is ringing anyways :)

Tikka270wsm
09-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Entertaining story and a great first buck. Congrats!

I butcher all my deer myself and if it's really warm outside, I just throw the quarters directly into the fridge overnight. Leave the fat on until you are de-boning the meat.
Eat the tender loins right away as they dry up real quick.

Mr. Dean
09-20-2010, 09:45 AM
This is ESPECIALLY what I like hearing; "I wanna a deer, therefore I'm gonna learn to hunt"......... Exactly what I did at the age of 39 and no, you DON'T need a mentor, just will and some determination.

HUGE Congrats!

Mr. Dean
09-20-2010, 09:48 AM
I butcher all my deer myself and if it's really warm outside, I just throw the quarters directly into the fridge overnight. Leave the fat on until you are de-boning the meat.
Eat the tender loins right away as they dry up real quick.

x2 (all counts).

bigneily
09-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Great first buck, I also shoot that same rifle and caliber but without the boss, i use big bertha:mrgreen: on everything (one gun hunter) loaded with 180 gr accubond handloads she has never failed me..

fusion
09-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Great story, nice buck!

APOSTLEsix
09-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Very nice, congrats!

Question, is that a Remy Model 700? and where'd you get that muzzle break? Been looking for one for mine.

Browning stainless stalker, muzzle break is std. issue w/ BOSS system

1/2 slam
09-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Nothing wrong with that :-D

moose2
09-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Nice job on your first buck, it looks good. Nice looking rifle I am guessing it is quite the up grade from the shot gun.
MIKE

Dannybuoy
09-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Thats a great write -up and a real nice white tail buck . Looks like you did a real good job with the skinning and keeping it clean etc . If you are going to leave a patch of hide on i wouldnt leave the stinky gland on though , I always remove that part first . Dont worry about removing the fat untill you cut it up , if you are making your own hamburger I suggest removing as much of the fat as you can . Again Way to go !

308Lover
09-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Nice meat buck. Great rifle, and good lookin' kids too! What more do ya want! Great post.

KodiakHntr
09-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Everyone telling you to cut off the tarsal gland, but no one explaining what it looks like....Big puffy patch of hair on the hind leg right where you have him hanging from....You probably know that already, but if you didn't.....

Good work on your first buck.

islandhunter
09-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Good job on the whiteail, I enjoyed your post.

Elkhound
09-20-2010, 03:31 PM
A job well done. A first of many I am sure.

snareman1234
09-20-2010, 04:53 PM
nice work man

Little Red Man
09-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Awsome job.....enjoyed the story and pics.....

My personal preference is to get as much fat off as possible, right off the bat.....

TESKELLY
09-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Sweet...........................

muley kid
09-20-2010, 09:55 PM
whens the rug mount due?:mrgreen: