PDA

View Full Version : Best way to keep a cape?

rudysteelhead
09-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Im heading out on a elk/goat hunt shortly and I was curious to know from all of your experiences, what is the best way to keep a goat cape. We usually run a small deep freeze off the generator with ice in it. Would laying the cape (if i get one) on the ice suffice for 5-6 days? or should I try and salt it down? I would appreciate your advice.

Tlineman
09-18-2010, 01:10 PM
I'd recommend taking the cape off ASAP from the head, before freezing. Turn the ears (your only skinning out the back side of the ear) and splitting the lips. Then salt. If you have a hollow haired animal and have blood on the cape, it may be worthwhile to rinse the hide in a creek and let drip dry before salting. Salt 3-4 times lighty, pack the ears and force salt into every orfice. A taxidermist told me once that salt can only penetrate 1/4" to draw out moisture. Salt, shake out 24hrs (Roughly) later, resalt, repeat. I've never had the hair slip on me.

I do know guys that hunt late in the year though and don't use salt. They do still turn the ears and split the lips and then freeze the cape and they don't seem to have a problem. I'm usually hunting a little earlier though and out of a backpack so I need to salt.