PDA

View Full Version : Do You or Don't You.

Hunterguy
09-18-2010, 08:59 AM
It seems that last year and still a few of my buddies this year still don't realize that when you are hunting you should have the registration of your firearm with you. If a co stops you or and rcmp it is up to you to prove that the rifle is a registered firearm, therefore you should have a certificate with you in the field. Even when you go through a game check you would have to show proof otherwise they could take the weapon I suppose till you show proof. Even some of the guys who refuse to register their weapons it only a matter of time that when they are out hunting they will be stopped and again no proof, no rifle.

eaglesnester
09-18-2010, 09:06 AM
All they have to do is get on the radio and call it in. They will have an answer in minutes on the status of your rifle. They will do this anyway. They could care less about your reg. they want to know want Mermachee has to say about it.

Gun Dog
09-18-2010, 09:14 AM
There's nothing that says you have to carry the registration but in the end the burden of proof is still on you. I carry a photocopy.

09-18-2010, 09:16 AM
No I do not have it with me.
They can look it up on the on board computers.
Until the rules say you must, I am out with packing more documents.

Ct

Steeleco
09-18-2010, 09:17 AM
I carry copies of all my guns reg cert in my day pack. I've been stopped and talked to only a few LEO's or CO's, NEVER once did I get asked for my card. They only asked that the guns were empty.

Doesn't hurt to carry a copy in case you get a dick. They may take your gun till you show up with the cert.

nano
09-18-2010, 09:24 AM
I just keep them in my gun case and truck so I always have them.

mod7rem
09-18-2010, 09:35 AM
My PAL is always with my hunting licence, so I dont carry the gun certificates. They are supposed to have access to the data base. So with my PAL they should easily be able to see what I have registered.

Cyrus
09-18-2010, 09:39 AM
My PAL is always with my hunting licence, so I dont carry the gun certificates. They are supposed to have access to the data base. So with my PAL they should easily be able to see what I have registered.

Exactly...

BlacktailStalker
09-18-2010, 10:02 AM
For 14 billion trillion dollars of our $ into the registry, they can walk their asses back to the truck to call in my info.

brian
09-18-2010, 10:22 AM
I made laminated copies of them so they would be the same size as my firearms license. I keep them with my hunting tags during the season. I also keep a copy of the storage and transportation regs in my car. With City cops I don't any chances. I'd hate to have a day of hunting ruined from a dumb ass traffic stop.

twoSevenO
09-18-2010, 10:34 AM
i carry them in my "outdoors wallet". Basically a second wallet i throw in the backpack that has all my fishing and hunting licences and gun registration. for the 0.0005oz the paper weighs its not worth having an argument and wasting your time.

500grhollowpoint
09-18-2010, 10:35 AM
[quote=BlacktailStalker;747690]For 14 billion trillion dollars of our $ into the registry, [quote]

Actually I think at last count it was eleventy bajillion. :mrgreen:

TIKKA TIGER
09-18-2010, 10:47 AM
I carry copies of my registration certificates in my hunting wallet along with my hunting license, tags and my P.A.L. These are always in my pack just to be on the safe side. This way I know I'm covered if ever I get asked by a C.O. or an R.C.M.P. constable.

dragonslayer
09-18-2010, 10:59 AM
I totally agree with blacktailstalker let them use their resources to find out.

knighthunter
09-18-2010, 11:48 AM
I carry copies of my registration certificates in my hunting wallet along with my hunting license, tags and my P.A.L. These are always in my pack just to be on the safe side. This way I know I'm covered if ever I get asked by a C.O. or an R.C.M.P. constable.

I carry this also.

bsa30-06
09-18-2010, 12:02 PM
i carry them in my "outdoors wallet". Basically a second wallet i throw in the backpack that has all my fishing and hunting licences and gun registration. for the 0.0005oz the paper weighs its not worth having an argument and wasting your time.

I do the same have a small wallet with all my papers in it.I have been asked by the CO to see my license once i flipped it open handed it to him he took one look at my license handed it back and said "i see everything is in order here" handed it back and we had a nice friendly chat for awhile.He was very friendly and professional.

sfire436
09-18-2010, 12:13 PM
"should" and "legaly must" are two diffrent things

Sundance1972
09-18-2010, 12:14 PM
I carry this also.

Same here. I would rather spend my time hunting than arguing with a co about registration cards.

Kyle84
09-18-2010, 12:21 PM
I've been stopped by CO and never had them ask for my registration. As previous posts state is not in the rules and on board computers etc.. that $2 billion dollars has gotta do something for us.

Gateholio
09-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Never been asked to provide firearm documentation by a CO, and I dont' really expect to. Been asked by RCMP "is your gun registered" and replied that it was and that was it.

The registration certificates are just a piece of paper, easily falsified, so the only way to really tell if a gun is registered is for the officer to search the eleventy trillion dollar database, anyway. Producing a piece of paper is not really evidence of registration, when it comes down to it..

Tlineman
09-18-2010, 12:40 PM
I carry my license, gun regi, and PAL with me when in the field. If nothing elso it makes me look like someone with nothing to hide and the CO's will leave me alone. Your all right about them having the resources available to them though. Just show them the stuff and they go away ASAP.

Mark_S
09-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Not a chance. They can run the serial numbers and see it is registered. If they can't do that then the system is garbage.

dana
09-19-2010, 02:09 PM
I used to until a few summers ago when I had my wallet stolen. Scared the $hit out of me that some a$$hole criminal had my registration cards and also my address. I got very lucky and the local police arrested the thief that day and he had my wallet still with him. He actually tried to use my ID in front of the officer. The officer got a kick out of that. Hmmm, I don't think you are Mr. Dana. The real Mr. Dana reported this stolen this morning. He told me I got really lucky as they rarely ever recover wallets. My gun registration cards have stayed at home ever since then. If a police officer wants to know if they are registered to me, all they have to do is type in the serial number.

Ghost Stalker
09-19-2010, 04:24 PM
i remember reading an article when the registry came out saying that the CO's in BC were going to protest by not enforcing the gun registry. wish i knew where i read it but i cannot.

wolverine
09-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Although I agree that they should just run the numbers and check the data base it's not a big deal to me to toss a copy of the certs in to my gun cases. If I do get stopped and checked and it's by someone that doesn't know dick about how the system is supposed to work, and there are many that don't, I don't want to be hung up because I was too stubborn to keep the certs handy. I don't need the arguement or the delay.

Big_Island_Hunter
09-19-2010, 05:28 PM
For 14 billion trillion dollars of our $ into the registry, they can walk their asses back to the truck to call in my info.

Well said.

Martin_Hunter
09-19-2010, 05:56 PM
I carry the registration paper(s) with me.
It's not even worth the wait or the headache
if I decided not to.
And they weigh next to nothing in my wallet.

Albafly
09-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Me and a buddy got stopped at a road block by police checking for drink driving. We were wearing camo, and one of the fisrt questions was "do you have any guns?" and we told him yes.

He asked for our registration papers, but we did not have them all. He took out PAL and went back to his vehicle and ran them through. He was polite and gave us no problems, but as it was 1130pm and we had over 2 hours to drive, we really didn't need the 30min delay, which was how long it took.

I'll carry copies now.

Tuffcity
09-19-2010, 07:43 PM
For those that don't think it's a good idea or necessary to carry the cert's you might find this little piece of the Criminal Code interesting.

Seizure on failure to produce authorization (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fra/C-46/page-3.html#codese:117_03)
117.03 (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fra/C-46/page-3.html#codese:117_03) (1) Notwithstanding section 117.02, a peace officer who finds

(a) a person in possession of a firearm who fails, on demand, to produce, for inspection by the peace officer, an authorization or a licence under which the person may lawfully possess the firearm and a registration certificate for the firearm, or

(b) a person in possession of a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any prohibited ammunition who fails, on demand, to produce, for inspection by the peace officer, an authorization or a licence under which the person may lawfully possess it,

may seize the firearm, prohibited weapon, restricted weapon, prohibited device or prohibited ammunition unless its possession by the person in the circumstances in which it is found is authorized by any provision of this Part, or the person is under the direct and immediate supervision of another person who may lawfully possess it.

Stupid section of the code and seizure may or may not happen, but who knows...

RC

Lionhill
09-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Be sure to write your MP about the pending vote on Weds, Sept 22. It's going to be a close vote to end this registry BS, and we need all the help we can get.

LH

nano
09-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Also what if the system goes down and you do not have your papers with you and the C.O or R.C.M.P. takes your guns because you cant prove that they are registered.

Bistchen
09-20-2010, 12:20 AM
I have been checked by the CO twice, once being pulled over on a routine stop, no problems, he just wanted to make sure the firearm wasn't loaded and the other was shooting in a clear cut, again just wanted to make sure we were playing by the rules. No ID check, regestration, nothing. I keep my papers in my safe. If they want to check up, they can go to their satelite computer in their CO truck and check. I would want my taxes to go to work.

Trevorg
09-20-2010, 02:27 PM
out of curiosity i stand to inherit my grandfathers rifles when he dies and i kinda doubt that most of them are registered. how would i register them?

Phil
09-20-2010, 02:31 PM
I made laminated copies of them so they would be the same size as my firearms license. I keep them with my hunting tags during the season. I also keep a copy of the storage and transportation regs in my car. With City cops I don't any chances. I'd hate to have a day of hunting ruined from a dumb ass traffic stop.

I do the same.

Dannybuoy
09-20-2010, 02:59 PM
out of curiosity i stand to inherit my grandfathers rifles when he dies and i kinda doubt that most of them are registered. how would i register them?
as it stands now ( because of the amnesty ) you would just register them over the phone . I would leave out the inherited part as far as the feds go .. it might open up a whole different scenario .

Dannybuoy
09-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Oh and I dont ... I did a couple of years ago but never got asked to see them so .... anyway mute point If the registry goes away:-D

Hunt'n Guide
09-20-2010, 03:36 PM

I keep my copies with my liscence too. Always have them with me when I have firearms. Not worth the hassel to not have proper documents available.

Downwind
09-20-2010, 03:43 PM
I keep copies with me too. Whether or not the police CAN just check their database. If they want to be hardass or just 'interpreted' the laws differently they are still the ones that can confiscate your firearms from you until YOU can prove the firearms are registered properly. Why take a chance over carrying a couple small pieces of paper? I keep it all in a waterproof pouch with my PAL, hunting and fishing licence. They might not ask for it but if they do, it's one less hassle and argument.