PDA

View Full Version : "Friendly Fire"

snowhunter
09-18-2010, 07:08 AM
A number a years ago, while hunting a hilside with evergreens, another hunter, whom I did not know was in the same area, shot at me by mistake.

I will never forget the sound of the super sonic sound of the bullet, flying past me before hitting something with a "thump", and then after that you hear the "bang" from the gun.

Instantly hitting cover, I started to scream my lungs off and wondering if I should return fire in the air, but did not.

Suddenly I spotted the idiot who had shot at me, running to his truck, slamming the door and taking off in a hurry.

Thank you Lord, for letting me live another day to hunt, and spending many more years with my family.

SR80
09-18-2010, 07:24 AM
what a friggin ******!!

MikeH
09-18-2010, 07:32 AM
ahh the sound of the crack thump,hearing that snapping sound will always be etched in my mind.I would have sent a round into his engine:evil:.

carnivore
09-18-2010, 07:38 AM
What a cowardly dirtbag the shooter was!! What if you had been badly wounded. He ran like a hit and run driver thinking only of his contemptuous hide!!:evil:

dukester
09-18-2010, 08:06 AM
ahh the sound of the crack thump,hearing that snapping sound will always be etched in my mind.I would have sent a round into his engine:evil:.
:evil: X2.. it sure moved like a moose .

Caveman
09-18-2010, 08:10 AM
My wife said to say I'm Sorry!! .................................................. .... Just Kidding!!

Hopefully the idiot never hunted again!!!

frenchbar
09-18-2010, 08:17 AM
That would be some scary s..t...one of the main reasons i stay off the beaten track and hunt spots i KNOW for sure NOBODYS hunting.

Big Lew
09-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Unfortunately, wandering about, or working in the woods during hunting season puts you at risk from careless shooters. I have had bullets clipping branches by my head on several occasions, once while taking movie pictures of a brood of grouse before hunting season in a firearms restricted area by someone pretending to be the "rifleman" and rapidly firing from the hip at bottles. On two occasions the shooter actually knew I was there and either shot at, or close to me on purpose. Most of the time the shooter isn't even aware there's someone or something,(cows and horses) at risk past their line of fire. When being taught how to use a firearm by my father, the first three rules were; never point a firearm toward anyone or other objects such as animals, buildings, equipment, etc. ; proper use of the safety ; never shoot at anything if you don't know where the bullet will go if you miss. Many, many times I have reluctantly let game walk because they were skylined, or the bullet could travel a distance through background brush where I wasn't sure if someone, or range animals might be present.

mcrae
09-18-2010, 08:20 AM
I wear a blaze orange toque for a reason a number of years ago I had the same thing happen. I was sitting in the middle of a cut and they shot at my backpack. It was off lying on the ground against a stump. It was brown and black. I think they thought it was a bedded deer???

Funny thing is my new MR pack is coyote brown so last night as I settled against a stump I put my pack 6 feet away LOL...

doubled
09-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Complete idiot. Time to empty your clip in his "general" direction. Tit for tat.

steepNdeep
09-18-2010, 08:29 AM
WTF!?? With the stressful days I've been havin' lately, I might lose it if that happened...

Don't go to the West Koot's this year in Oct. if you're not rollin' in a tank or hunter orange kevlar suit... :rolleyes:

When I first started (bow) hunting, I met a guy out in the bush in Boundary Country - Reg. 8 and we were bs'ing about the days hunting. He was a bit of a skid but not a total inbred lookin' dude in his 30's.

He said "I did get a couple of sound shots off in the thick bush, but never got a look at the buck." WTF!! :evil: I said "I guess that was banjo music that I heard back there..." Which way are you goin'?

I now have a hunter orange hat for the inbreds that I now wear hunting around roads in some areas... :rolleyes:

http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/deliverance_banjo_player.jpg

mcrae
09-18-2010, 08:38 AM
WTF!?? With the stressful days I've been havin' lately, I might lose it if that happened...

Don't go to the West Koot's this year in Oct. if you're not rollin' in a tank or hunter orange kevlar suit... :rolleyes:

When I first started (bow) hunting, I met a guy out in the bush in Boundary Country - Reg. 8 and we were bs'ing about the days hunting. He was a bit of a skid but not a total inbred lookin' dude in his 30's.

He said "I did get a couple of sound shots off in the thick bush, but never got a look at the buck." WTF!! :evil: I said "I guess that was banjo music that I heard back there..." Which way are you goin'?

I now have a hunter orange hat for the inbreds that I now wear hunting around roads in some areas... :rolleyes:

http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/deliverance_banjo_player.jpg

I made a blaze orange cover for my pack come Oct 1st:-D

loki
09-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Complete idiot. Time to empty your clip in his "general" direction. Tit for tat.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/ClipMagazineLesson.jpg

Martin_Hunter
09-18-2010, 08:44 AM
I don't know why some hunters shoot at sounds or movement without seeing the game first.
One thing is for sure: They're not hungry.
So,what the heck is wrong with them?!!!

frenchbar
09-18-2010, 08:49 AM
I don't know why some hunters shoot at sounds or movement without seeing the game first.
One thing is for sure: They're not hungry.
So,what the heck is wrong with them?!!!

their brain dead mofos..theres more out there than one would think:(

frenchbar
09-18-2010, 08:53 AM
just dont wear your grey stanfeilds sweater without some thing over top ....lots of folks out there that will pound at it with only seeing a small peice of it....sad but true!

mcrae
09-18-2010, 08:54 AM
their brain dead mofos..theres more out there than one would think:(

Unfortunately I tend to agree.:cry:

Mik
09-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Im glad to hear that you lived another day. I too have had a shot buzz right above me and I hit the deck PDQ! Ive never been back to that area-only cause it was close to town and theres better places out there.
To date, one of my biggest mulies that i have ever seen was skylined and I never shot. Once happens, it sure makes a person think twice.
"Safety First"!

MattW
09-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Haven't had that happen but there are areas I avoid because I don't want to get shot. Region 4 up around Cranbrook during elk season and most of Region 3 during October. My family has a cabin in nice country by Loon Lake and I never hunt there.

MB_Boy
09-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Have had it happen to me in MB.......where you HAVE to wear a blaze orange hat and jacket. Hunting whiteys......moving through an area (sort of thick bush) with my Dad and shot goes off relatively close and bullet whizzes by us. We both hit the dirt and started yelling. The guy was close enough that we could hear the asshat running off through the bush.

Jagermeister
09-18-2010, 10:33 AM
I had the same thing happen to me in the Rock Creek country in the late '60s when I was in my early twenties.
I was walking a boulder strewn slope when a bullet caromed off a nearby boulder. Dove for cover behind a boulder and sent a shot back in the general vicinity of where I thought the shot came from. Next thing I hear is a voice with a heavy french accent hollaring not to shoot.
Made my way down to the dude to discover a man in his late 30's, early 40's with glasses as thick as coke bottle bottoms. He was very, very apologetic, I was very, very pissed. Suggested that he go back to town and get an appointment with an optometrist and have his eyes checked.
Although I frequently hunted that area, I never saw him again.

500grhollowpoint
09-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Happened to me about 5 years ago above gallaghers canyon. Never heard the bullet though, just saw them shoot right at us. I freaked, they hopped in their truck a f'd off.

twoSevenO
09-18-2010, 10:40 AM
damn .... i think people in blaze orange that you see on TV look plain silly, but its stories like this that seriously make me wonder whether I should go out and at least buy a blaze orange hat or toque....

Its a sad world if you go out to enjoy your hobby and feel all paranoid for your safety just because some dumbass out there is too stupid (or too drunk if he missed?) to be sure what he's pointing his gun at....

rifleman
09-18-2010, 11:00 AM
shoot his truck & go looking for a truck with holes in it & DEAL with the idiot.

bigneily
09-18-2010, 11:12 AM
I probably would have feared for my safety, and fired back:twisted:...

Jelvis
09-18-2010, 11:40 AM
The Army of Shooters lol .. Join the forces fellas ..
Jel .. sounds like gang warfare lol ..

bsa30-06
09-18-2010, 11:54 AM
This thread scares me.I read thru it and every other post was "happened to me to".Did these morons not have to take CORE and the CFSC this kind of crap should NEVER happen.I would hope that if this has happened to you and you were able to confront the guy that you were able to get a plate number , vehicle model,color , etc. and reported him to the authorities.

bsa30-06
09-18-2010, 11:56 AM
I had the same thing happen to me in the Rock Creek country in the late '60s when I was in my early twenties.
I was walking a boulder strewn slope when a bullet caromed off a nearby boulder. Dove for cover behind a boulder and sent a shot back in the general vicinity of where I thought the shot came from. Next thing I hear is a voice with a heavy french accent hollaring not to shoot.
Made my way down to the dude to discover a man in his late 30's, early 40's with glasses as thick as coke bottle bottoms. He was very, very apologetic, I was very, very pissed. Suggested that he go back to town and get an appointment with an optometrist and have his eyes checked.
Although I frequently hunted that area, I never saw him again.

Did you report him?

Coming_out_heavy.
09-18-2010, 12:13 PM
A few years ago, I was living in the states on the east coast. I ended up getting an out of state hunting license and going out on a few hunts with my father in law. "Opening day rifle season" is kind of a big deal down there, like it is for us, only there are millions of people out in the bush there.

I got to hunt opening day rifle season in upstate New York. I was on a 100 acre property, had a tree stand that I set up 2 weeks prior, and at 4am I proceeded to walk to my stand in the dark. As I was leaving the cabin, everyone in the cabin noticed I had no blaze orange on, and asked me to put some on. I laughed at them and said " pussies wear orange ". What a goddam mistake. At first light I was preparing to shoot a deer that had walked by 5 minutes previous, but it was too dark to see it in my scope. As I was able to make the deer out in my scope, someone else shot it, it was right on the property line. The noise of the muzzle blast was so loud I almost shit my pants. One of the neighboring hunters had a stand less than 100 yards from mine and had shot the deer that was half way between us. So now Im rattled. I had no idea the guy was there. Bucks are open, Does are open, everythings open.... and Im wearing all brown. After that first gunshot I heard another nearby, then another, then another. I sat in my stand scared as shit for 3 hours after first light. At 10 am I got the balls to get out of my stand and head back to the cabin. I was talking out LOUD to myself, all the way back. I also found a 3 inch by 3 inch red cloth I had in my pack that I used for cleaning my binos off. I was waving that little cloth around like you wouldnt believe.

I counted 92 rifle shots between first light and 10 am.

Needless to say, when I got back to the cabin the guys were askin me if I still thought blaze orange was "for pussies".

Its not.

Gateholio
09-18-2010, 12:52 PM
We are reasonably fortunate in BC because we are not forced to wear blaze orange, and it's been quite some time since a hunter shot another person by mistake.

There is some evidence to support that in states with orange requirements, a few hunters have become conditioned to shoot at anything NOT covered in orange, which is more dangerous than what we have here in BC...

I'm not a proponent of blaze orange as I feel it can have the effect of making a few hunters complacent.

Keep in mind hunters shooting other hunters/hikers/bikers by mistake is still a very rare occurrence, particularly in Canada. Driving to your hunting area, unloading a quad, climbing into a tree stand etc are still more likely to cause injury or death than getting shot by someone.

BimmerBob
09-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Some of the instances posted certainly scare the bejeebers out of me but I was wondering at the title... Just how friendly is it to put a shot in another hunters direction when out hunting? :wink:

rollingrock
09-18-2010, 01:09 PM
If you hear a shot and a bullet flying towards your direction, that doesn't really mean the other hunter was shooting at you. This could happen anywhere here in BC. I don't expect people to see me in the mountain all the time. Even in open alpine country if you move, people won't see you out to 500 yards unless they happen to pick you up through their scopes or binos. That's why sheep hunting is hard. I don't think BC hunters are so murderous. Mistakes do happen with no intent. However, hunters should always be aware of their surroundings.

Firing back at the shooter who is not aware of your existence is stupid. Doing that could actually kill someone, because you now do have the intent. Like Gatehouse said, you don't see shooting accident often in BC.

twoSevenO
09-18-2010, 02:16 PM
A few years ago, I was living in the states on the east coast. I ended up getting an out of state hunting license and going out on a few hunts with my father in law. "Opening day rifle season" is kind of a big deal down there, like it is for us, only there are millions of people out in the bush there.

I got to hunt opening day rifle season in upstate New York. I was on a 100 acre property, had a tree stand that I set up 2 weeks prior, and at 4am I proceeded to walk to my stand in the dark. As I was leaving the cabin, everyone in the cabin noticed I had no blaze orange on, and asked me to put some on. I laughed at them and said " pussies wear orange ". What a goddam mistake. At first light I was preparing to shoot a deer that had walked by 5 minutes previous, but it was too dark to see it in my scope. As I was able to make the deer out in my scope, someone else shot it, it was right on the property line. The noise of the muzzle blast was so loud I almost shit my pants. One of the neighboring hunters had a stand less than 100 yards from mine and had shot the deer that was half way between us. So now Im rattled. I had no idea the guy was there. Bucks are open, Does are open, everythings open.... and Im wearing all brown. After that first gunshot I heard another nearby, then another, then another. I sat in my stand scared as shit for 3 hours after first light. At 10 am I got the balls to get out of my stand and head back to the cabin. I was talking out LOUD to myself, all the way back. I also found a 3 inch by 3 inch red cloth I had in my pack that I used for cleaning my binos off. I was waving that little cloth around like you wouldnt believe.

Needless to say, when I got back to the cabin the guys were askin me if I still thought blaze orange was "for pussies".

Its not.

WOW ... just WOW. I don't think I could ever in my life hunt in an area where there are so many hunters. I'm not anti-social or one of those that never likes to see people around, i'm just too paranoid of my own safety. Even when i hunt with a buddy, i always make sure we are on the same page where the other one will be and when we decide on it, no changing of your plans to "swing around the other way" or something like that. You'd think 100 acres is big, apparently not big enough.

Glad you made it out ok, i too would be shitting my pants big time! I'd probably start hootin' and hollerin' right away, not sure i could sit and wait in the war zone ... crazy....

snowhunter
09-18-2010, 08:19 PM
"Hunter Orange" clothing is no garantee for not being shot at. A number of years ago, could be as far as twenty to twenty-five years ago, a B.C. hunter, wearing a orange hat was shot in the head and killed, while hunting in the central B.C. To best of my knowledge, the killer was never found ?

Some hunters are colorblind to the orange color as well, and I find that wearing some clothing that blends in with the surroundings is the best way of not being seen by other hunters or people while hunting.

After my experience with the "Friendly Fire" incident about fifteen years ago, I am much more cautious for the presence of other hunters in the same area where I hunt, and like to meet and have a friendly chat with them, and that way let them know that I am around as well :)

I also agree with Gatehouse, that fatalities or injuries caused by "Friendly Fire", are extremely rare among British Columbia's hunters, and I personally, in spite of my experience with "Friendly Fire", do not in any way supports forced use of "Hunter Orange" clothing while hunting, which would just be, yet another expensive and time consuming bureaucratic entanglement from the "dark side of the force", that would further reduce the numbers of B.C. hunters, as well as at the same time increase the numbers of wildlife ungulates, to a point that regular culls has to be performed by hired guns, at B.C. taxpayers expense ?

bigshooter
09-18-2010, 09:36 PM
I was walking a tree line bout 10 years ago and had a person fire at me. I felt the blast like it was fine sand hitting my face and then the sound ripped past it was all that I could do to duck down in the bush I was so shocked. Once I was down in the ferns taking cover I yelled out and waited with no reply I stayed down just thinking for 10 minutes before I could make myself move. No one answered my calls and I never saw anyone. I would have shot them in the state of shock I was in, that day is always on my mind when I'm in the bush.

Jagermeister
09-19-2010, 12:25 AM
Did you report him?No, didn't report him. At the time, I was under the impression that he was going to give up hunting, something about poor eyesight.
I don't know how I would handle that situation today. If I was shot at and hit and I was capable of returning fire, I probably would do that, hopefully, it never happens. Otherwise, I'm not shooting back, maybe a shot in the air, but that is as far as it goes.
I'm certainly not going to be shooting at anything unless I am 100% certain that it is the game I seek.

JAFA
09-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Couple of years back I scared the crap out of a couple of fellas that were sitting in the bush about 50 yards down towards the bottom of a hill I was perched at the top of. I had made my way in hours before through a different route, neither party knew of the others presence.

I was sitting in a pile of boulders and deadfalls in the center of the top of the ridge with about 25 yards of plateau on 3 sides.

When my doe walked in I took mind of the path of my bullet as it would easily be swallowed by the ground around her if I missed due to the angle of the shot from my elevated perch.

I took the shot, got my doe but scared the crap out of the other party. We had a good laugh at the camp later that night, but they said in the moment they were pissed as it sounded so close, emotions started to run a little high.

Immediately after the shot they started hollering as they made their way out and away from me.

They did not shoot back thankfully.

Jim.

Chuck
09-19-2010, 10:15 AM
That would be some scary s..t...one of the main reasons i stay off the beaten track and hunt spots i KNOW for sure NOBODYS hunting.

My philosophy too..........

Yotapup
09-19-2010, 12:17 PM
I've had it happen to me once. The sick part about it, I was not only in a shooting restricted park zone, close to residential, but I was maybe 14 at the time, out riding my ATC with my family, shot up a trail and stepped off to use the little boys room when I heard the wizz and the shot. I jumped behind my machine PDQ and started yelling, waited there for about 5 mins before I got on the trike and booked it outta there.

Phreddy
09-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Had the same thing happen to me while hunting the Whipsaw/Lamont area south of Princeton many years ago. That place used to be so nice and quiet, but has turned into a real gong show. Haven't been back there since that wonderous occassion.

Yotapup
09-19-2010, 12:34 PM
ugh, this is just disgusting, now that I've read all these. If it were ever to happen to me again, I'd almost just not say anything when I hit the deck and wait for the hunter to come claim his prize, in which I'd feed him a piece of my mind... in the form of a fist...

303Brit
09-19-2010, 01:40 PM

I concur

Phreddy
09-19-2010, 03:08 PM
ugh, this is just disgusting, now that I've read all these. If it were ever to happen to me again, I'd almost just not say anything when I hit the deck and wait for the hunter to come claim his prize, in which I'd feed him a piece of my mind... in the form of a fist...

It's pretty hard to get into a fight with someone when your pants are full of shit.

Coming_out_heavy.
09-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Ha ha, but not impossible! Win or lose, thered be one hell of a stink.

It's pretty hard to get into a fight with someone when your pants are full of shit.

MichelD
06-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Came home from a hunting trip with my wife along one time. It was raining and we couldn't figure out why some of our camping gear was wet when we unloaded it. When I looked at the truck again the next day when I was taking the last of the camping gear out there was a neat 30 calibre hole in the front canopy about 8 inches above the passenger side of the truck. We'd been up some side roads up off the Duffey Lake road on the way home from Lillooet.

M.Dean
06-20-2011, 09:09 AM
I remember a long time ago a Tool Salesmen and I were talking hunting, he told me of hunting up the North Valley a number of years back, he said he'd hiked all over looking for deer. He said he stopped at the bottom side of a road for a break and was having a coffee and a sandwich, he had his back to the road and was sitting against a small tree. Suddenly he said he was thrown forward, and was laying on the ground! His shoulder was on fire, and when he looked at it, there was blood just spraying out! He looked up towards the road, and there was some idiot standing by his truck, rifle in hand! He started screaming at the guy to come and help him, he said the guy jumped in his truck and drove off! He had to hike back to his own truck and drove himself to the nearest house and got help! He showed me the wound on his shoulder, it looked like a spider, a big red mark where the bullet went in, and what looked like legs coming off of it! Who ever fired the shot simply saw movement down behind the tree and decided to kill what ever it was! Some people shouldn't be allowed to own sharp pencils, never mind a Firearm!!! Be nice to find the guys who do shit like this and beat them to death with there own Rifle!!!

mjmbc
06-20-2011, 10:23 AM
many years ago hunting geese on the pitt river my buddies and i set up the night before opening day . Afull hour before legal shooting time on a foggy morning dooofus floats down the river and opens up on our deekes with us standing behind them . we yelled out he stopped took off to the log booms . we waited till later zoomed out in our boat and 30 pound boulder dropped through the bottem of his boat . phoned the cops later and the last we ever heard about the incident never hunted there again tho

Singleshotneeded
06-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I had a bullet slam into a tree about two feet above my head once. I hit the dirt and fired a few shots in the air several
feet over the idiot's head, yelling deer don't shoot back! He sprinted to his truck and took off. Never pull a trigger until you have
positive ID of the target as a legal game animal and the backdrop behind it is clear...hunting 101!

MillBay
06-20-2011, 12:45 PM
When I lived in ALberta I had guns pointed at me several times and one time my was was sitting with me in the wide open. I confronted both people and they both gave the exact same reason, they didn't carry bino's so they use their scope to spot with. In some very not so friendly words I let them know that's no excuse. I have hunted for 45 years and not ONCE have I seen a human look like a deer or moose.

Singleshotneeded
06-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Everyone should have binoculars, a basic porro prism that'll do the job starts at $150-$200, in 10X50.
The scope is for making the shot after you've ID'd the game animal. Hope you gave them Hell, MillBay!

wicket
06-20-2011, 01:23 PM
glad to hear you were not hurt.....i have hunted BC 8 times with my brother and since day one I wear a blaze coat and hat....guess thats a habit i picked up from living in Onterrible ... first time i wore them my brothers like you dont need that here we wont see anyone....regardless I still wear it cause i want to be seen.....trust no one...question everything is my motto.

McSledder
06-20-2011, 02:30 PM
A friend of mine told me his story. They were at lake north of PG large lake they were bombing around the lake glassing the shores they look back towards there camp and see another boat 3 guys standing up in it that looks odd grabbed some better binos wholly crap a three of them scoping my friends boat so the 4 of them all grabbed there rifles and scoped them back they promptly left. dumb sh@ts. no shots fired no one hurt

wicket
06-20-2011, 03:34 PM
ill add this story that did end in bloodshed....this past turkey season here my best friend is set up on a field edge and almost never uses a decoy but decided to put a lone hen out. he was in a great spot with a ditch on his side of the field that would funnel the turkeys by him off the roost but incase they cut short he had the hen deke out to persuade them his way. an hour after light unknown to him a guy who had glassed his deke fromt he road snuck up the ditch and shot his decoy. thank whatever god you believe in that the shot was parallel to him. which brings me to the bloodshed part, my buddy proceeds to jump up and chase the idiot down the ditch as he was running away, caught him and beat the living hell out of him, even gave him his name and address in case he wanted to call the police an charge him with assault. needless to say he never called the police and hopefully he learned a lesson. sad thing is that the shooter wasnt a kid and should have known so many things better than the complete disaster he caused. I always second guessed the manditory turkey course here in ontario before you could buy a licence but after that am thinking how many more close calls there would be without it.
wicket

FlyingHigh
06-20-2011, 03:50 PM
first instinct for me would be to hit the deck. second would be to return fire. lord willing it never happens to me.

Big Lew
06-20-2011, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=FlyingHigh;934934]first instinct for me would be to hit the deck. second would be to return fire. lord willing it never happens to me.[/QUOTE
I agree with you, but with reservations. As I've earlier stated, I've been shot at, or toward, numerous times spanning 52 years. Most were from persons not knowing I was in their line of fire, a couple were intentional, and I'm very lucky they weren't good shots. You're so right, my first instinct was to "hit the deck", and the second thought was to fire back, and I did on one occasion where the shooter purposely fired at me, although I fired to the side of him. He high-tailed it out of there. On the second intentional incident, the shooter(s) fired approx. 5 shots from a high powered rifle from a nearby mountain at my Dad and I. We were in the middle of a sage bush flat, and we can only assume they were firing at our red hats. When we ducked down and removed the hats, the firing stopped. We had no idea where they were, or we most diffidently would have returned fire. As for the reservations...2 wrongs don't make a right...if someone fired back in the general direction on impulse...what if they hit an innocent party, especially a child, or animal? They would be more guilty then the shooter.

Surrey Boy
06-20-2011, 04:56 PM
We all flush rabbits and grouse and other game which we're not hunting, has anyone ever discharged their rifle at one? I usually drop to my knee and shoulder my gun, but I've never come close to shooting something that isn't legal game. Even in an antlerless GOS I still have to steady up a shot. How can there be so many stories?

Even so, I'd rather wear antlers in the bush than use a crosswalk in Surrey.

CanuckShooter
06-20-2011, 05:08 PM

Its not.

THAT has got to be the funniest story I've heard in a long time....but the question is did you get a deer???LOL

lovemywinchester
06-20-2011, 06:43 PM
I was hunkered down this fall near Hyas lake and for the last hour before dark I heard at least ten shots from different directions around me. None really close by. I remember not being scared but feeling very jealous that guys were seeing bucks and I wasn't,lol. It made me think about wearing orange for sure and the rest of the fall I hiked with a orange garbage bag on top of my backpack.
I knew a guy years ago when I went to college that would drive everybody on this site crazy. He shot geese out of season on the iced up river and would take his car topper over the flows and pick them up. Him and his buddy tried to poach(rustle?) a cow in a farmers field, at night, with a 22. Shot it in the face and the herd stampeded back to the barn with the poor cow with a bullet in his nose. The worst one was when he was shooting at cans on his property with the bullets going over the river into the bush on the other side. The problem was the nearby college had a forestry program and some students were doing a timber cruising course on the land on the other side. No one was shot but from what I remember they were pinned down crapping their pants for a while. He was charged for that one. Remember deer are considered colour blind so why not wear orange?
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/CamoBlazeOrange.jpg

Jelvis
06-20-2011, 06:59 PM
It dint happen to me like that but this is what happen to another fella who was showing a hunter where to go, and as the guy was in front leading the way the guy behind had the gun off safety and the trigger got caught and the high power rifle went off and the front guy got hit and blew his hip off at the leg joint, BOOM!
Jel the man had no hip left for life, GONE
Please use utmost safety when hunting be sure of your target. Keep safety ON until safe 2 shoot.

wos
06-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Never had any one shoot at me in the bush and I'm surprised there are so many stories. With antler restrictions,buck season, leh doe seasons etc I don't know how anyone could make a mistake. I'm always starring through my binos or spotter scrutinizing the animal . Anyone who cant figure out the difference between a man and a deer has no business being in the bush.

tightgrouper
06-20-2011, 08:05 PM
I am always freaked out when does are open in an area I am hunting. Kinda makes me feel like anything that moves is fair game. I wear orange in this case. Also when I am with buds searching for a shot deer or pushing bush I put on my orange hat.
Had an incident once with a rifle going of in a tent. The shot went behind my and my buddies head 2 feet away and put a hole in the roof. First there was quit a moment of silence right after. Then an intense discussion about safety. I was pissed.
Anyways to make a long story short do not have loaded guns in a ten or camp and do not tamper with other peoples riffles. Good thing is now we are all pretty keen on being safe and honing our safety practices.

Big Lew
06-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Never had any one shoot at me in the bush and I'm surprised there are so many stories. With antler restrictions,buck season, leh doe seasons etc I don't know how anyone could make a mistake. I'm always starring through my binos or spotter scrutinizing the animal . Anyone who cant figure out the difference between a man and a deer has no business being in the bush.

It boggles the mind, doesn't it. I quit hunting big game during the eightie's for a while because I was seeing so many horses and cattle, cow moose during bull season, does during buck season, etc. from people shooting first, and then checking on what they hit, or from "sound shooter's". I remember two separate situations I came upon where someone had "sound or eye shot" a cow Hereford near their camp at night....both were mortally wounded, tearing up the ground like a bulldozer as they suffered. These morons seldom are caught unfortunately, and even if they were, they wouldn't get the penalty they deserve, and definitely not what I think they deserve.

swampthing
06-20-2011, 08:45 PM
I was camped out in Lilloeet on a deer hunt once. A group of three hunters rolled in late one night and asked to share our camp. We were hesitant but invited them to join us. While getting acquainted, one fellow asked if I wore camo. When I replied yes, he said that he wouldnt shoot at noises then, so as not to shoot me by mistake. I packed up and left in the morning.

1/2 slam
06-20-2011, 11:32 PM
When I lived in ALberta I had guns pointed at me several times and one time my was was sitting with me in the wide open. I confronted both people and they both gave the exact same reason, they didn't carry bino's so they use their scope to spot with. In some very not so friendly words I let them know that's no excuse. I have hunted for 45 years and not ONCE have I seen a human look like a deer or moose.

Break their scope

weatherby_man
06-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Wow!!!!

Me and my best hunting partner always know where we are in relation to each other and if we see "others" activity we will report to each other. If I do happen to see someone else while spotting or whatever I always try to make sure they see me! Always be careful in areas that are heavily hunted. I have flat out left areas when bumping into guys (even if they dont know I am there). Plenty of places to go.

32-40win
06-21-2011, 12:10 AM
I've had shot fly by me within 10ft on a duck pond, sitting the reeds, wearing orange, as it was req'd at the time. We ended up walking out with these guys, the guy was scared I was going to shoot him.
Was given a very nice custom 7x57 by a fella that lived in Princeton Similkameen area. He'd been out, was getting divorced, ex's boyfriend apparently went out after him. The boyfriend shot, missed, he shot back, didn't miss. He had given up hunting. I gather that happened in 50's or 60's. He gave me the gun in 71 up in Mackenzie.
I know of another fella in Wiliiams Lake that apparently still had shot pellets in his back from being shot across a pond while out duck hunting in the Meldrum Crk area. That would have been in the late 60's. I believe I was out with him in about 69 or 70 when he told me about it.

hunter1947
06-21-2011, 03:22 AM
I know how you felt at this time when the bullet it the ground beside you then you hear the bang from there rifle you are a very luck person not to have been hit from this idiot ,the same happed to me and my friend at the age of 25 we both hit the ground when two hunters opened up on us we screamed our heads off at them after hitting the ground laying flat on our stomachs ,after they realized what we where they yelled out that they where sorry we both when over to them and gave them a tong lashing they said they thought we where a deer they had seen run at our direction http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.png..

FlyingHigh
06-21-2011, 02:02 PM
[QUOTE=FlyingHigh;934934]first instinct for me would be to hit the deck. second would be to return fire. lord willing it never happens to me.[/QUOTE
I agree with you, but with reservations. As I've earlier stated, I've been shot at, or toward, numerous times spanning 52 years. Most were from persons not knowing I was in their line of fire, a couple were intentional, and I'm very lucky they weren't good shots. You're so right, my first instinct was to "hit the deck", and the second thought was to fire back, and I did on one occasion where the shooter purposely fired at me, although I fired to the side of him. He high-tailed it out of there. On the second intentional incident, the shooter(s) fired approx. 5 shots from a high powered rifle from a nearby mountain at my Dad and I. We were in the middle of a sage bush flat, and we can only assume they were firing at our red hats. When we ducked down and removed the hats, the firing stopped. We had no idea where they were, or we most diffidently would have returned fire. As for the reservations...2 wrongs don't make a right...if someone fired back in the general direction on impulse...what if they hit an innocent party, especially a child, or animal? They would be more guilty then the shooter.

you make some very good points. and points like that are why i hope this never happens to me.

i showed this thread to my cousin, who happens to be in the Forces. he told me a story about one of his Army buddies who was hunting an area in Ontario when this happened to him. The poor guy had just rotated home from Afghanistan. he's out hunting, and suddenly bullets started whizzing over head. his training kicked in, he hit the dirt, took cover, and returned fire. he kept firing as he backed himself out of the area. i guess he had about 20 rounds in his pack and he just kept reloading, firing, moving. dunno what happened to the guy who shot at him. no reports were filed to the police, nobody was reported missing. so i guess the soldier didn't hit anyone. i assume he was just giving himself covering fire to get out of there.

ryanshaw44
10-09-2011, 09:51 PM
WTF is wrong with ppl, sound shots, shooting at movement . Identify your targets!

new hunter
10-10-2011, 08:34 AM
The first time I got a grouse it was on the side of a fsr . I had just passed a couple dirt bikers who were loading there bikes up about a hundred yards back from the grouse and around a corner . I was and still am 100% confident in the shot I took with a load of #8 {different story if it was a .22} , the shot was down into the dirt with big trees around and pointed well a way from the road .
After I took the shot I could hear these two screaming at me about what an asshole I was , but no one bothered to come over and express there opinion in person .
At the time I just assumed that they were a couple of tree huggers and just didn't like me killing things , but now I realise , they had no Idea which way I was shooting or anything else . I suppose at the time I was just another reckless asshole { I repeat , I knew it was a safe shot }.
I'm a little less naive now , In the future I'll have to consider peoples comfort as well as theyre safety .

BCTRUCKER
10-10-2011, 09:34 AM
I remember hunting with my dad and uncle in the early 70s. We were hunting a skidder trail that ran up along the
top of slash. Next thing I was told to get down.Dad brings his binoculars up ,were being scoped he yells to my uncle.
Dad yells at the guy.He still scoping us, then Dad lines up on the guy with his rifle. The guy ejects shells and takes off.
Dad says to my uncle,I know the guy.Later on the day back in town,were picking up dinner. Dad gets out of the truck walks over
to this guy,start beating the crap out of him,cops come.Cops ask why?Dad said he scoped us ,while we were hunting this morning.
Then the conservation officer arrives.They hand cuff the other guy, and they take him away. They had received 5 complaints about this guy
scoping other hunters. One of the officers says to my dad, I wish we could give you some more time with him. We never saw the guy again while hunting,
or in town. Ever since seeing my Dad ,beating the crap out of the guy for scoping us. I always pack my binoculars. ( lesson learned ) he learn t the hard way.
MIKE

jetboat jim
10-10-2011, 10:18 AM
we were hunting for elk in kimberly this sept and right at dark we were at camp , when we hear a truck pull up on the road , pop-pop-pop-whing...bullets flying just over my camper. i ran for my truck and raced out to the road(not far about 30 yards). i see a 30-35 year old guy holding a 22 and he had 2 boys with him. i yelled at him that he almost killed us and his reply was "but I was shooting a grouse"......I told him what an idiot he was and that he was breaking the law buy shooting in a archery season (i seen him shooting not the boys) took a photo of his plate and reported the issue to the rapp line.....was not very happy about the whole thing.

he also said "why are you camped there "....... WTF why would that matter ,this is what inbreeding does to people!

blacklab
10-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Is there any real point in telling these tales.
I allways wondered why the people that shoot at things they can't identify are allways bad shots.

Jelvis
10-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Week End Warriors or (Weak End Worriers?) Lot's of the frenetic fever going on out there in the wilds of B.C. it's funny til someone get's hurt ... Then it's Hill Hairy Azzzz
Jelly -- Were feuding like the Hatfields and Mc Coys, Maybe it's time to get back .......
To the basics of love .. lol .. Willy Waylon and the BoyzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZ

Elkaholic2010
10-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Pretty common problem.....but.....most of the incidents I have seen are not the so called inbred banjo playing locals like myself...its more often than not some disrespectful, careless, city dude from either the Okanagan or the coast that have no regard for anyones safety including their own. I know one thing....If I was shooting at someone, they wouldnt hear the shot.

orso
10-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Im surprised at all these stories and I have to say it really gets me thinkin, for now on I think Im going to be wearing a blaze orange hat or a took for now on, it cant hurt thats for sure.

steepNdeep
10-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Damn, some scary sh!t out there! Once while hunting Reg. 8, I met a guy at the end of the morning. We chat for a bit, he's local & I ask him if he saw any bucks this morning... he replies "No but I got a couple sound shot off in the bush." WTF!! I ask him where he's headed & go the other way. F'n INBRED SLOB.

Th0r
10-10-2011, 05:43 PM
This is always my worst fear when on an outing with my kids. I have them wear chartreuse or blaze orange vests. Difficult to be stealthy but would rather err on the side of caution.

Squire
10-10-2011, 06:48 PM
I am always freaked out when does are open in an area I am hunting. Kinda makes me feel like anything that moves is fair game. I wear orange in this case. Also when I am with buds searching for a shot deer or pushing bush I put on my orange hat.
Had an incident once with a rifle going of in a tent. The shot went behind my and my buddies head 2 feet away and put a hole in the roof. First there was quit a moment of silence right after. Then an intense discussion about safety. I was pissed.
Anyways to make a long story short do not have loaded guns in a ten or camp and do not tamper with other peoples riffles. Good thing is now we are all pretty keen on being safe and honing our safety practices.

I would prefer a short open season for does over an LEH system when the numbers allow for it for this reason. I can choose to avoid the woods during the 'sound-shooting' season but I can't predict where someone with an LEH tag will be. Knowing that there will always be some a$$holes shooting at noises, it would be nice to have seasons or parts of seasons where criteria for legal animals means game has to be carefully identified.
As I posted on here before, I was shot at on Texada Island during doe season (late 70s) and never went back.

Camp Cook
10-11-2011, 07:41 AM
When I was in high school a friend told me about taking sound shots he was a big/tough hyper kind of dude I promised myself to never go hunting or shooting with him.

Recently after 30 years of not seeing each other we have reconnected he is now asking me to take him out hunting = not going to happen.... :-?

i showed this thread to my cousin, who happens to be in the Forces. he told me a story about one of his Army buddies who was hunting an area in Ontario when this happened to him. The poor guy had just rotated home from Afghanistan. he's out hunting, and suddenly bullets started whizzing over head. his training kicked in, he hit the dirt, took cover, and returned fire. he kept firing as he backed himself out of the area. i guess he had about 20 rounds in his pack and he just kept reloading, firing, moving. dunno what happened to the guy who shot at him. no reports were filed to the police, nobody was reported missing. so i guess the soldier didn't hit anyone. i assume he was just giving himself covering fire to get out of there.

I've been hunting with my Robinson Arms XCR-L in 6.8SPC = 270 cal 95gr TTSX @ 2825fps lately it legally uses 10 round pistol mags I have 4 of these and ten 5 round rifle mags for it = 90 rounds if I was packing them all which I don't so you can imagine what I started to think about when I read the above story yep something like a blanket of fire and I can change mags really quickly... :cool:

Damn, some scary sh!t out there! Once while hunting Reg. 8, I met a guy at the end of the morning. We chat for a bit, he's local & I ask him if he saw any bucks this morning... he replies "No but I got a couple sound shot off in the bush." WTF!! I ask him where he's headed & go the other way. F'n INBRED SLOB.

Did you ever go back into that spot?

I'm thinking his scare tactic worked if you didn't... :mrgreen:

upcomer
10-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Had this happen to me last weekend in reg 8. 4 of us were sighting in our rifles, as we heard 2 shots whiz by our heads. Unknown if he was a psycho shooting as us or just shooting towards us because he was pissed that we were making noise. Not the fun weekend that's for sure