PDA

View Full Version : Hunting elephants illegal?

steelheadSABO
09-17-2010, 03:37 PM
So today i was sitting in class and our teacher told us to write a bucket list. So this one kid who hunts say's i want to shoot a elephant. The teacher looks at him and tells him he can't write it down because it is illegal. We replied no it's not and she said i just got back from kenya it is illegal. Is elephant hunting actually illegal? I say no

bighornbob
09-17-2010, 03:46 PM
It may be in kenya but guys are stilling shooting them in other countries. Tags are limited but you can still do it.

BHB

steelheadSABO
09-17-2010, 03:56 PM
That's what i thought but my teacher insisted that any elephant hunting was done illegally no matter where in the world

Kody94
09-17-2010, 03:57 PM
So today i was sitting in class and our teacher told us to write a bucket list. So this one kid who hunts say's i want to shoot a elephant. The teacher looks at him and tells him he can't write it down because it is illegal. We replied no it's not and she said i just got back from kenya it is illegal. Is elephant hunting actually illegal? I say no

Elephant hunting is illegal in Kenya.

It is legal in Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, South Africa, Namibia and probably other places that I can't think of offhand.

Many of those places have elephant populations that are WAY more dense than elk or moose in BC.

As an example -- I hunted in the Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania. It is smaller than the East Kootenays. There are OVER 60,000 elephant in the Selous. There are only 30,000 elk in the East Kootenays.

bigwhiteys
09-17-2010, 03:58 PM
That's what i thought but my teacher insisted that any elephant hunting was done illegally no matter where in the world
You have no choice but to prove her wrong in front of your whole class... Then proceed to add "Shooting an Elephant" to your bucket list.

Carl

Ozone
09-17-2010, 04:00 PM
http://www.safaribwana.com/ANIMALS/animpages/elephant.htm

steelheadSABO
09-17-2010, 05:13 PM
hahaha we had to list 50 things and i think about 49 had to do with hunting something
1.Hunt a Cougar with hounds
Hunt.. polar bear, grizzly bear, buffalo, shoot a 6x6 elk hahahaha the other kid put "club seal"

bsa30-06
09-17-2010, 05:21 PM
You have no choice but to prove her wrong in front of your whole class... Then proceed to add "Shooting an Elephant" to your bucket list.

Carl

I agree she has to be shown that just because she is the teacher doesnt make her right all time,prove her wrong and add it to your list.

Bow Walker
09-17-2010, 05:25 PM
Provide the information that Kody94 posted to your teacher in such a way that doesn't embarrass her in front of the class. She'll appreciate it a whole lot, believe me. No need to antagonize her. Just correct her mis-information.

Martin_Hunter
09-17-2010, 05:28 PM
It's too bad that hunting elephants is illegal.
What should I do with my elephant tag,now?
I wanted to shoot one around Prince George!
hahaha

sugar
09-17-2010, 05:44 PM
add correcting your teacher to your bucket list then explain when she asks.......

Matty_ola
09-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Hmmm, What do you figure they taste like???

3006pg
09-17-2010, 06:38 PM
greater vancouver zoo has a couple ;)

The Dawg
09-17-2010, 07:19 PM
hahaha

Oh they're still here...just a little harder to find since they closed the PG Hotel...try Walmart :)

Chuck
09-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Provide the information that Kody94 posted to your teacher in such a way that doesn't embarrass her in front of the class. She'll appreciate it a whole lot, believe me. No need to antagonize her. Just correct her mis-information.

Good Point! Best to be diplomatic, otherwise.................

seatoskymiles
09-17-2010, 08:16 PM
bring her down a notch, do it in front of the class so they know that she was wrong. Growing up in small town Sask. if one of my friends had a different answer in algebra than the teacher the teacher would double check his answer rater than just say he was wrong, but my buddy was 98% of the time right. Always question, and if u don't like the answer, dig and prove them wrong

pin_head
09-17-2010, 08:41 PM
I hope not or I'm a criminal, I've bagged one or two around closing time on a friday night :wink:

capper911
09-17-2010, 09:01 PM
This is too funny!! LOL

Bow Walker
09-18-2010, 07:35 AM
Thousands of Africans can't be wrong...

add correcting your teacher to your bucket list then explain when she asks.......
Great way of diplomatically bringing the subject up for discussion. Or, on the other hand you could just go "up front" and ask her quietly.

landphil
09-18-2010, 09:11 AM
hahaha

All the big elephants are in Clearwater.:-D

eaglesnester
09-18-2010, 09:13 AM
It may be illegal in Africa, however in many countries in Africa they have culls from time to time and a tag can cost anywhere from 10 - 20 thou.

Kudu
09-18-2010, 09:33 AM
It may be in kenya but guys are stilling shooting them in other countries. Tags are limited but you can still do it.

BHB

Elephant hunting is not Illegal in many African countries.........

Zimbabwe for example, has an enormous problem right now, too many Elephants with not not enough habitat - and a Dick-Tator that scares the living daylights out many "would be" hunters with his draconian laws and politics.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/zim2010/P5020303.jpg

Btw - Elephant meat is fantastic, The heart and trunk are delicacies.......

mcrae
09-18-2010, 09:42 AM
Elephant hunting is not Illegal in many African countries.........

Zimbabwe for example, has an enormous problem right now, too many Elephants with not not enough habitat - and a Dick-Tator that scares the living daylights out many "would be" hunters with his draconian laws and politics.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/zim2010/P5020303.jpg

Btw - Elephant meat is fantastic, The heart and trunk are delicacies.......

I watched a hunting show it might have been a Jim Shockey one. Anyways after they shot the elephant they butchered it up and fed an entire village! People where coming from all around to get some of the meat it was pretty neat to watch.

Martin_Hunter
09-19-2010, 05:15 AM
All the big elephants are in Clearwater.:-D

Oh,great! I don't even have to drive too far,then.
I just need to rent a huge trailer!
hahaha

lynx
09-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Elephants are here i heard one the other day.....this elk hunter was calling and if it wasnt an elephant then i dont know what it could be.

Dont be rude to your teacher in front of the class. Confront her privately and ask her to admit she researched the subject and made a mistake to her students.

Martin_Hunter
09-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Awesome,since we have elephants in the woods in BC now,
maybe we should encourage American hunters to come here
shoot elephants instead of polar bears.This way we can really
make David Suzuki happy and he can go play with more teddy
bears!

Elkhound
09-19-2010, 10:48 AM
I agree with others. Give her the info that proves her wrong. Tell her she needs to addresss it and you are giving her the chance to do so. If she wont...then bring it up in front of the class then.

And......add it to your list.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Give her the info that proves her wrong. Tell her she needs to addresss it and you are giving her the chance to do so. If she ownt...then bring it up in front of the class then.

And......add it to your list.

Great approach...and you might also tell her not to feel bad about being wrong as there is a lot of miss-information about wildlife out there....and you may like to use Grizzly bear and wolf populations as an example here in BC:).

SSS

bandit
09-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Correct me if Im wrong but the only illegal bit of elephant hunting is if you try to sell the ivory as it is CITES. You can keep it for personal use only.

Which makes it pretty much the same as a black bear in BC.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-20-2010, 12:22 PM
Correct me if Im wrong but the only illegal bit of elephant hunting is if you try to sell the ivory as it is CITES. You can keep it for personal use only.

Which makes it pretty much the same as a black bear in BC.

Black bears have ivory?? Dang!! I must have thrown it away every time!!:-D

SSS

1/2 slam
09-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Your teacher is very wrong. She really needs to be educated and corrected.

slayer B
09-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Chicken :mrgreen:

whitespringer
09-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Good Point! Best to be diplomatic, otherwise.................

Ya or you will be on her #@$% bucket list!:mrgreen:

3kills
09-21-2010, 01:50 PM
greater vancouver zoo has a couple ;)

actaully i dont think they do anymore

J_T
09-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Your actions really depend on whether you want to pass the course or not. There is lots you 'could' do. It isn't always important in life to be right or prove others wrong.

Surrey Boy
09-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Your actions really depend on whether you want to pass the course or not. There is lots you 'could' do. It isn't always important in life to be right or prove others wrong.

Are you saying the truth isn't important?

J_T
09-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Are you saying the truth isn't important?
Not at all. Question is, who is the truth important to? Is it a question of being right, or a question of proving someone wrong?

echo
09-22-2010, 07:08 AM
please let us know how this turns out...
-it's always a bit 'scary' when a teacher states that they know and you don't when many are disagreeing with them ---although sometimes in high school a teacher has to take a stance so as to not be seen as weak by the 'mob'! :shock: Unfortunately, though, too many teachers (and people in general) try to force their point of views on others when it comes to hunting/fishing/logging when they really don't have enough knowledge on the topic. :-o So hopefully your teacher will take the new information you provide and not try to shut you down because of her beliefs! g'luck ~echo:)

Bow Walker
09-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Not at all. Question is, who is the truth important to? Is it a question of being right, or a question of proving someone wrong?
J_T, if not corrected in this ( a relatively minor matter) what untruths, inaccuracys, and/or misleading things is this "teacher" passing on to the students? The teacher believes she has the correct information and is "teaching" it as fact, when it is the incorrect information.

johnes50
09-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Ask her if these are still legal to hunt.:-D

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Herd_of_Wooly_Mammoth.jpg

Bow Walker
09-22-2010, 07:49 AM
I'l bet she'd say that they weren't even Elepahnts, not even related...nope, no way! And that's the truth! You'll be tested on this later, so pay attention.

J_T
09-22-2010, 03:54 PM
J_T, if not corrected in this ( a relatively minor matter) what untruths, inaccuracys, and/or misleading things is this "teacher" passing on to the students? The teacher believes she has the correct information and is "teaching" it as fact, when it is the incorrect information.
Well, perhaps, however I suspect to make a determination about what you are saying here, we really don't know the character of the teacher or what her motives were. As Echo says above, lots of teachers pass on their opinions to the captive audience. I guess my point was, even if the matter is corrected, if it came up again with the next class, would she change her opinion? Feels like the evolution vs creation thread......

Bow Walker
09-22-2010, 05:07 PM
I hear you, also sounds like an avid anti-hunting person too.

mikek blacktail
09-22-2010, 05:08 PM
get her to check out the bullet safaris webpage

Bowzone_Mikey
09-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Damn I didnt think those would come that close to Lake Louise Lodge ....Next Time I am there I am getting a room with a window that faces the mountains ... ....

Who much do ya think a Good taxi would charge for a full body mount of one of them ... I know I would need a bigger house thats fer sure !!!!

Ask her if these are still legal to hunt.:-D

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Herd_of_Wooly_Mammoth.jpg

Bow Walker
09-23-2010, 05:02 PM
So. What's the update? What happened?