PDA

View Full Version : How do you pack out your meat?

llloyd
09-17-2010, 11:35 AM
So you are sitting on top of a mountain with a freshly dressed boned and quartered goat. How are you packing him out?

I've got the eberlestock j107m pack with the spike camp duffel. I was doing some reading this morning on here and this is what I've come up with:
Meat cools then goes into a sylnilon pack liner type bag, leaving the top open a bit to breathe, in the main compartment. Everything that used to go in my main compartment (clothes and food mostly) would move to the duffel on the outside. Start hiking..

This sound about right? No cheese clothes anywhere? Second trip fro the head/cape or just stick that on top somewhere?

sako_300
09-17-2010, 02:04 PM
are you hiking straight out of back to camp and overnighting?

if the latter than put in cheesecloth and let breath overnight.

Kody94
09-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Lifesize cape, head, horns + front quarters, backstraps and miscellaneous neck/rib meat in my pack along with all the camp gear.

The hind quarters go in my dogs pack. ;)

Hike 12 kms back to truck

At least, that's how I did my my last one. :)

llloyd
09-18-2010, 07:03 AM
are you hiking straight out of back to camp and overnighting?

if the latter than put in cheesecloth and let breath overnight.

Actually that's something I hadn't thought about enough. I guess it would depend on the time of the day. But say it's late in the day and I'm a good couple hours from my camp, what do people typically do? Have a sleeping bag on you and just camp near the kill, field dress it then head back to the camp and come back in the morning to bone/quarter, or suck it up and do it all in the dark. That sounds pretty dodgy since I won't know the area.