PDA

View Full Version : Cariboo Chilcotin hunting help???

srupp
09-17-2010, 10:32 AM
For those that have phoned and E-MAILED regarding help here in the Cariboo Chilcotin coastal areas for sheep, moose, grizzly deer I am pretty sure I have touched bases with everyone at least once..:mrgreen:

I am getting ready to leave on my first hunt of the season so will be gone for 3 weeks , by that time most all the LEHS will be over..

If anyone has anything further to discuss PLEASE contact me by phone or PM before Tuesday Sept 21, as after that I will be too busy to take calls or deal with other issues and concentrate on them.

Except for the gun range and fuel pickup..avgas for the plane we now have everything comepletely packed and organized..:mrgreen:..

With 4 moose tags.....3 dall sheep tags...3 perhaps 4 goat tags...1 grizzly tag...plus wolverine and wolf ... it should prove to be highly interesting..

So many have sent information and offered advice that I dont want to miss anyone so I just THANK EVERYONE who has been so helpful..

This is truly an expedition..with over 1 ton of gear..and should be sponsored by CABELAS...enough of their branding on the equipment and clothes:wink:

Success is measured in enjoyment..the experence ... looking over the other side of the mountain the next valley around the next corner...we have one brand new packer..OOPS I mean hunter..our very own and very experienced pilot and his plane..plus my great hunting partner Tim..

I cant conceivably think of any gear we dont have, we "think" we are prepared for any eventuality however we know that surprises occurr every trip..I am taking a trauma kit..and am confident in my abilities..

the camp should be comfortable with a huge wall tent..Cabelas camp cot for me at least..:wink: 2 boats...comfortable chairs for glassing from camp for me and the very real possibility of a good moose..as they are indeed in rut...a lake close by..a very short flight will give us access to a major salmon run and hopefully the pick of numerous Grizzly bears..goats are numerous and for the other 3...dall sheep may be extremely challenging however you dont know unless you at least try...

Thanks again to all those that lent advice and help..it is indeed appreciated..

cheers

Steven Rupp

kennyj
09-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Good luck Steven. Have a great trip.
kenny

shantz
09-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Good luck on the hunting. Sounds like it will be an amazing trip.

The Dawg
09-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Good luck buddy!

Philcott
09-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Have fun and play safe, Steve.

BimmerBob
09-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Wow, good luck Steven, wish I was going with you guys... Have a great trip, looking forward to the stories that come of it!

srupp
09-18-2010, 07:56 AM
lol thanks I sure hope I remembered to bring a camera..:wink:no one ever wants to see hunting photos...or game harvested??

Last dayshift today....:mrgreen:

anyone have a link for photos , diagrams on caping out for a full body mount??????

cheers
Steven

Spokerider
09-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Good hunting! Sounds like an adventure.

BCKID
09-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Good hunting!! Sounds like an awsome trip.
BCKID

morris
09-18-2010, 08:21 AM
I just hope you won't be too bored staying in camp and being the camp biatch with that sore knee! Take care pal and have a great trip! Sounds like you have all the bases covered, and thanks for the help on our hunt!
Rich

Mik
09-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Great Hunting, stay safe.

srupp
09-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks Rich...ya the ^#$#%#&&#$ WCB...if they would have done their job even half assed..I would have had surgery 3 months or more ago and would have had a fighting chance on this once in a lifetime dall sheep LEH..:evil:...

I am giving it my best..I am keeping my word even though this trip was planned before my accident and resulting injuries requiring surgery..

I consider myself pretty goood at calling in moose..so I still get to sit in one of the boats or even on the shore and glass and call moose ...DURING the rut..hoping for a big ALASKA moose.

Steven

olharley guy
09-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Howdy, I see on last weeks post you left the names of the lakes out-did you forget the names allready-did you want me to fill in the blanks for you and post? LOL

What do you mean sit in the boat and moose hunt-with your calling a 70 incher will come into camp for you or if you do the wrong call a real _orney cow will show up and then you will be in big trouble being the only person in camp!

Check out hiring a couple Sherpas in Haines Jct. to do some packing for you for sheep, I am sure you could get some help real cheap for a little cash money. Remember this is for sheep not goats.

Be sure to check things out a little east of ---------- lake-I just forgot the names myself. Ha!

Wrap them knees up and have a great time up there. Waiting for pictures.

Later

t

srupp
09-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks Olharley guy..I so much appreciated you taking time for a coffee and showing me your amazing dall sheep photos and stories..

I will do my best...I did not get a goat tag:cry:....

I appreciate that you also forgot the names of the 3 or 4 lakes we will frequent...

It is indeed for me a tough call...personally having a moose tag with 60" bulls taken every year there, and a plethora of grizzlies running around..however true success and if I only could get 1 animal it of course would be a dall sheep...

Time will tell......thanks again for all the help...

cheers

Steven:mrgreen:

JAFA
09-19-2010, 09:06 AM
As one of the many recipients of your calls with advice and well wishes, let me wish you the very best experience.

Can't wait for the story and pics.

Your 1 class act fella, you deserve some amazing Karma.

Good luck.

Jim.

srupp
09-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks Jim...a lot more do a lot more than I..but they just do it quietly..lol

I enjoy helping , honestly do...this place we are headed is a place I never even have been close to so should be an adventure all in its own..

I get to speak with and attempt to be of some help 20 or so times in the spring for bears black and grizzly and wish I could be on each and every hunt personally...some listen carefully and some dont...each has their own goals in grizzly hunting from survival to 9 foot behemouths..

Same goes in fall from moose to whities mulies and calies..those #s can sometimes be a bit surprising...but its all great fun for me helping...if I dont know I say so but helicopters and hunting and fishing here makes the knowlege almost un avoidable..

Thanks for the well wishes Jim..with this rookie hunter hope he doesnt think this is normal hunt..or a normal year..this is once in a lifetime amount of tags for so many species..time consuming and incredibly picky for planning ..meticulous..details and the amount of equipment top notch quality gear and the vast array of stuff..sheesh expedition..

Happy to just be allowed to go with such a screwed up knee..owe so much to Susan who INSISTED I show her the paid up life insurance policy PRIOR to allowing me to go grizzly hunting with two bummed knees..

all the years of getting top notch quality gear paid off hansomly with enough gear that 4 guys will be warm and dry and safe and fed no matter which of the 5 lakes we are at that day..

A couple of sleeps and its on like donkey kong...or something like that..just tying up some loose ends with others hunting help..

cheers
Steven

GoTeeChris
09-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Good Hunting Steve!
Hope I helped you out.
Be Safe and Hopefully Succesfull on everything.

srupp
09-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks Chris....just to see this area..not used to going so late and we are very cautious about the weather..snow rains and of course the fog..cant shoot what ya cant see...

To be honest not overly confident in a big score...just happy to get Todd a moose and Rolly a moose...

we shall see and we SHALL try...

as for my knees..thank goodness for modern PHARMACOLOGY...:mrgreen:

CHEERS
sTEVEN

slicky72
09-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Good luck,looking forward to the stories when you get back.

Gateholio
09-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Have fun and shoot straight!:-D

srupp
09-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks Gate...plan on heading to the gun range tommorrow...a sighted in rifle...and a rangefinder and the Boone and Crockett reticle with the laser etched lens..plus some custom handloads by Mr Gary Deane should all do their part IF I do mine..:wink:

cheers
Steven

srupp
09-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Did get out finally to the gun range with the home made shooting sled, no wind and only the ocassional one or two BUCKS running accross the gun range for distraction...

Interestingly both rifles were shooting perfect for L - R but 3" higher than I like em..so settled em down to 3" high @ 100 yards for both the .338 shooting 225 TSX copper bullets for moose and grizzly...the .270 is also 3" high for dall sheep.....all the groupings were under 1/2 " @ 100 yards..so any screw ups are mine....

tomorrow is fuel..extra fuel for the plane, extra for the boats and extra for the diesel truck...and then its pack the following day..

coming together s...l....o...w...l.....y.......

Steven

RDM
09-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Good luck.Have a great hunt

srupp
09-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks RDM...$400 today in just extra fuel..lol..boats truck and plane..

everything is waiting for packing friday and leaving.....

even had time to get stung by a yellow jacket..not to worry wasnt on the trigger hand..lol

Steven

Jhors
09-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Have a great trip Steve! Will see you when you get home and we can swap some lies, I mean stories! Only about work of course! lol

Springer
09-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Good Luck on your Hunt Steve. My Truck is packed as well , fueled up etc. Just waiting for Shane to get here and then we will go have a visit with Marco about what he wants us to do with our Critters for mounting purposes.

Get this I have to drive all the way to Trail or Nelson first because we have to meet Greg at a Government agent to get licences ??? Man in Alberta i could bring a new guy here , go to Canadian Tire or any sporting goods , get him his WIN my Hunter Host ,his licences and be out the door 15 minutes later.

Pictures Elmer ,you have lots of time for pictures and your video camera running while you call the Moose in..

Cheers Bro.

srupp
09-23-2010, 07:50 AM
Thanks Horse..and good luck Springer..hmmm wasnt going to even take the video camera...will think on that..

Steven

pathfinder55
09-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Good luck on your northern hunt,I have done that road trip a few times, I wanted to thank you for inspiring me with you Muskwa sheep hunt. I am 55, overweight, and out of shape.When the young guys in my group started talking about a sheep goat hunt way up north I thought I would help facilitate their dream, but after reading your account I started training. I never got to"sheep shape" but I made it into the alpine with our spike camp, saw a bunch of ewes and lambs and harvested a BILLY GOAT. I used your sheep list for my gear selection[ no blisters with the sock liners] Anyway thanks alot.....Peter

srupp
09-23-2010, 11:10 AM
congrads on the goat!Being old and overweight and now both knees blown out..:wink:but I still keep on trying..

I will attempt to post some photos in 3 weeks..

Steven

Kudu
09-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Steven, as others have said - with the help you have given not only to my family, but many, many others on here - I'm sure that the hunting Gods will smile favourably on your excursion....

Have a wonderful time

Mike and Josh

srupp
09-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Hi Mike/Josh hope you enjoyed the Cariboo..went into that Lemon Lake country for a morning ..seen a goodly amount of deer.. higher I went more were bucks..as I anticipated..glad to have met you and your son...

We should talk after I get home from up North..thanks Mike

cheers
Steven:-D

pupper
09-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Good luck steve, I hope you score big time. You deserve it man!

srupp
09-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks Pupper..hope to be able to drop a hog of a bear..and maybe a moose...

Kay ladies and Gents Im out of here...hopefully a safe and enjoyable 15 days or more..and maybe even a harvest of an animal or 2..

be back here around Oct 15th..good Lord willing..

Thanks again to all those that sent PMs with suggestions..and all the good wishes..I appreciate it.

cheers

Steven Rupp :-D

ravensfoot
10-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Hi Steven,

Well, i'm sure right now your sitting by the fire enjoying the many stories from the day's hunt. I hope your trip is a successful one. I know when you get back you will be inundated with emails, posts and calls. I sure hope you will get a chance to answer my PM to you last week. Just looking for some advice and hope you have time. My trip starts on the 22nd of October up ion 5-04.