PDA

View Full Version : Mule deer: best way to get the antlers off?

seanps
09-17-2010, 04:51 AM
Hi guys. Stupid question, I'm sure, for many of the experienced guys and gals on here. It's my first season deer-hunting, and I just got offered my grandfather-in-law's 30-30 for use this year. Great news, because I can't afford a new rifle at the moment.

If I down a decent-sized buck I'd like to keep the antlers to be mounted, but not the rest of the head. What's the best way to get them off? My guess is a saw, but wondering if I need the top of the skull too.

Thanks!

P.S. I saw the thread about sex identification, so I'm clear on that.

kennyj
09-17-2010, 04:55 AM
Yes you need to keep the antlers attached to the skull plate. Best bet is to take the whole head to the taxidermist as soon as possible.
Hope you get a big one.
kenny

09-17-2010, 05:34 AM
Stand the head up, nose down, expose the skull by skinning back hair between the ears and antlers. Hand saw will do, try to go straight down taking round part of back of skull through mid eye sockets finish through nasal area. Google or look at skull mount antlers that may help you to know where to cut and saw.
If you and what is called a European mount its a bit different.
good luck

CT

seanps
09-17-2010, 05:47 AM
Thanks! Very helpful!

.300WSMImpact!
09-17-2010, 07:37 AM
I just use a sawzall,

lilhoss
09-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Stand the head up, nose down, expose the skull by skinning back hair between the ears and antlers. Hand saw will do, try to go straight down taking round part of back of skull through mid eye sockets finish through nasal area. Google or look at skull mount antlers that may help you to know where to cut and saw.
If you and what is called a European mount its a bit different.
good luck

CT
x2.Well explained.Take off more bone than you think you might need.I mount antlers and the biggest issue I have is they don't always leave enough skull to secure the antlers to a plaque.Also make sure you clean off the meat & skin before it goes hard on you.

steelheadSABO
09-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Ok i cut the antlers off my first buck and now i wish i did a european mount. So I would look into how to do a european mount because it looks way nicer in my opinion.

Steeleco
09-17-2010, 08:12 AM
The beginning part of this video shows roughly what Curly explained!!
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-mount-deer-antlers-50791/

Spend a bit searching it on google and you'll find a few ways, they all work, just pick the one that works for you.

Rodd
09-17-2010, 08:14 AM
I just use a sawzall,
X2 Sawzall Works excellent! Also for splitting the Carcass in half or quarters!

husky30-06
09-22-2010, 07:18 AM
X2 Sawzall Works excellent! Also for splitting the Carcass in half or quarters!

yes it works but make sure you clean it well as the smell of the rotting bone and flesh will be really bad..........:(

husky30-06
09-22-2010, 07:20 AM
Also......i put my antlers into a big wooden box and let nature clean up the bone in and around the hide...... a bit smelly but in a box, not so bad.

barry1974w
09-22-2010, 03:43 PM
I've had pretty good luck using a chainsaw. Bit rough around the edges, but mine normally just go on the grainary.