PDA

View Full Version : PG Elk pi*****ing me off!

lightmag
09-16-2010, 05:00 PM
well out again this am into a new area to have a look around, picked a great spot for 1st light hiked in and get into this spot calling, well as usual, no elk responds but a bull moose does? now this is twice this year while cow elk calling we have had large mature bull moose come in!! what a bark this guy had sounded like a huge dinosaur hocking up a luggy, lol

no elk sign anywhere in this spot, now if i had a bull draw for 7-24 or 7-12 i would have a nice Bull moose!!

so headed out to the truck and moved on, spot moose 600 yards off in cut, hike in... maybe a 2 pt???,,,, closer.....COW and calf!! grrrrr

so we carry on, to 2 more elk spots, head in the one and whats this?? they are logging in th exact area i wanted to go?? what are the chances? now i'm getting frustrated!!so onto the last spot, down the road, into the spot, park, get out hike in down thru a ravine into the other side calling, walk slowly thru the area, nothing? no rubs, no answers, no new sh*t? everything is old AGAIN!!

I'm striking out this year so far? 4 years in a row of good elk action and 2 kills and now this!! I haven't even heard an elk this year.

so off again tomorrow morning to waste some more gas and $$ and into another spot that HAS held elk, has no pressure and extremely limited access, there should be elk in there but i will probably just see another big bull moose!

stitch
09-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Hey man...at least you get out hunting. I'm sitting in my office reading this wishing in one hand and S*$tting in the other. Hope you knock something down

quadrakid
09-16-2010, 05:09 PM
I,d give my left nut to live where i can hunt elk from home.Keep at ,er and good luck.

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-16-2010, 05:09 PM
I really dont understand your frustration you are out in the bush enjoying nature ,you have called in two nice bull moose what a rush.Elk hunting is not a slam dunk its called hunting not shooting .If you cant find the joy out of hunting and perhaps spending a whole season not pulling the trigger then you should just pay to shoot a bison in a field and save your time and money.:confused:

kootenayelkslayer
09-16-2010, 05:13 PM
What?? There's elk around PG? Could've fooled me...

sawmill
09-16-2010, 05:20 PM
It`s early yet buddy,pretty slow around here too,a few down but wait 2 weeks...........:-D

lightmag
09-16-2010, 06:37 PM
I really dont understand your frustration you are out in the bush enjoying nature ,you have called in two nice bull moose what a rush.Elk hunting is not a slam dunk its called hunting not shooting .If you cant find the joy out of hunting and perhaps spending a whole season not pulling the trigger then you should just pay to shoot a bison in a field and save your time and money.:confused:

you obviously missed the context. I have gone seasons without shooting anything, i love and enjoy every minute out hunting. That being said i put a lot of time and energy into the sport and at least finding where these animals are would be nice, just to hear them.

So your telling me in your entire hunting career however long/short it's been, there has never been a time were frustration has got to you?? come on be honest... as well $$$$ plays a role and time, so i like to make the best of my time out.

I'm not complaining, just venting and talking about my lack of results vs time right now and you take it the wrong way, kinda thought that this was part of what the site was, telling of success, telling of LACK of success, venting, gloating a little, and getting help/pointers?? why you on here? to jump on others??

moosinaround
09-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Lightmag I feel your pain friend!! Been out and about, found them early this year and they moved, so I have been working around them, trying to locate where the herd went but it is hard when they won't bugle!! Had one yesterday morning give me sh$t, but I blew it, they are in some tough Sh*t!!! Gonna head back out sunday to see if he is still wanting to fight with me!! Good hunting out there Lightmag!! Moosin

BCrams
09-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Around PG.... more often than not ... the elk just don't answer. We've found that sometimes you need to stay put for up to an hour or two just to get one little bugle and thats all you'll get in order to pin point and try to move in on them.

Without the elk density like in the Peace or Kootenays, they just often pick up and move with their cows without calling.

dutchie
09-16-2010, 10:22 PM
I have never hunted Elk in the PG area but one thing that people think is that you have to sound like the biggest badest elk in the bush...

That is completly wrong thinking... try to sound like the dink that is trying to move in on the 6 points woman and you will probably pick up on a bit more...

Also when you are cow calling try whining it out a little more so it sounds like she is really ready to go. you know the "TAKE ME NOW" kind of moan!

Last, try Bugling like small Bull and then cow calling to the Bugle. This will create a conversation that the Bigger bulls will want in on.

There is a book called "Elk Tactics" that is a VERY good read. This should help in your Elk hunting Ventures!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Elk-Tactics-Don-Laubach/dp/156044682X

Dutchie

leadpillproductions
09-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Try going out on monday and shooting the biggest bull ive ever seen and cant find him , lost blood . Going out in the morning hopefully ravins have found him for me .

BCrams
09-16-2010, 10:38 PM
I have never hunted Elk in the PG area but one thing that people think is that you have to sound like the biggest badest elk in the bush...

Most guys in PG bugle ... bugle and bugle some more. Wrong approach.

Nearly all bugles and bulls that we've had come in from PG elk were only to cow calls. We get a few answers from bugles but the next ones after were almost always headed away.

http://www.amazon.com/Elk-Tactics-Don-Laubach/dp/156044682X

Good book. Have it.

thetackdriver
09-16-2010, 10:57 PM
I feal your pain too. Havent even heard any elk this year. Last two years ive called quite a few in by now. Maybe im just having some bad luck too. Buddy shot a nice little 6pt north of town the other night though and my uncle had 5 different bulls this morning calling so they are out there. Keep at it and im sure somethings going to hit the dirt

todbartell
09-19-2010, 09:50 PM
a nice 6x6 hit the ground yesterday in the PG area. Bugling like mad

BCrams
09-19-2010, 09:51 PM
You don't say!!! Good on the guy!!

killman
09-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Called in two bulls tonight. Both snuck in with no noise while a couple others bugled below us. Unfortunately the two we saw where 5X5's. One was nice and big but not enough points. He thrashed the brush when I bugled at him. videoed him with my phone but it didn't work very good. The smaller one came to with in 30 yards. Also had 3 cow walk with in 30 yards.

Ps this was all while sitting on my quad.:mrgreen:

shawnwells
09-19-2010, 10:16 PM
every elk hunter ive talked to this year has been frustrated and saying the elk are acting all effed up everywhere an acting different this year...a guys just gotta be out there and get lucky where theres some elk around i guess...thank god i got lucky this year...but i was getting frustrated too up until the night of the 16th

hunter#1_300
09-21-2010, 08:37 PM
I hear ya man been out lots havnt seen or herd one yet.a few fresh tracks thats it ... ? for the guys that have got elk in PG have you noticed that the meat is a litle differnt tasting. Ive herd from a few guys that they barley can eat them any outhers have this problom

lightmag
09-21-2010, 09:16 PM
I hear ya man been out lots havnt seen or herd one yet.a few fresh tracks thats it ... ? for the guys that have got elk in PG have you noticed that the meat is a litle differnt tasting. Ive herd from a few guys that they barley can eat them any outhers have this problom

mine tasted great?? shot on sept 12th 08, no concerns with taste at all?

thetackdriver
09-21-2010, 09:20 PM
called in two last night. One was just a spike at 65 yards and the other was a big bull at 40. couldnt count the points quick enough before the wind swirreled and he got wind of me. Neither bull wanted to come in to me so i ended up chasing after them way into bush. Would have been one heck of a long pack back out though. Tried again this morning with no success. Guess that means ill just have to get back out tomorrow. oh well

Amphibious
09-22-2010, 03:46 AM
stick to what works for most PG Elk hunters. Never leave your truck/quad/jetboat. buggle constantly out the window. be sure drive like a raped ape blasting 80's hair bands. make sure you have a beer or 6.

those guys always seem to find and elk or 2 ;)

emerson
09-22-2010, 06:44 PM
stick to what works for most PG Elk hunters. Never leave your truck/quad/jetboat. buggle constantly out the window. be sure drive like a raped ape blasting 80's hair bands. make sure you have a beer or 6.

those guys always seem to find and elk or 2 ;)
Stop giving away my secrets!!:-?

j270wsm
09-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Here in the East Kootenay's I hadn't been able to get the bulls to answer or come into calls. Yesterday we called in a 5x4 and then this morning we just happened to catch a bull bugeling, in a cut block below us, and as luck would have it he was a 6x5. It has been a really weird year, lots of rain and green grass, the elk dont seem to be in the area's they are normally in and seem to be very quiet.

swampthing
09-22-2010, 09:08 PM
You need to take me with you. I will help you seal the deal. Will give you the first elk

bear buster
09-22-2010, 11:16 PM
a guy I worked with up here was from PG, sure a different breed of hunter, seen him and his dad try some off hand 600 yard shots at a really good bull, same guy and his dad shot 16 times at the same bull in a field, his wife was running camera.( we found elk 5 days latter thanks to magpies and crows) he since went back to PG, thank god, not respect for anything to do with ethics. They cost me permission on a good piece of elk land, cause they took there buddies out there without me, and well... was out the other day sitting in tree stand and who drives by rolls down window and calls, then drives off.....oh well. the elk up here are acting funny too, had them going good for 2 days, now nothing?wtf. seeing some good deer though, lots of whitetales. maybe if it gets colder, elk will pick up.

todbartell
09-23-2010, 08:31 AM
a bull came in slowly to a combo of bugles and cow calls last night. Probably a satelite bull. He's unlucky he grew the sixth point on one side. Barnes TSX hammered him at 75 yards. Another PG elk down! Droppin like flies lately? maybe got their guard down

CanuckShooter
09-23-2010, 04:19 PM
every elk hunter ive talked to this year has been frustrated and saying the elk are acting all effed up everywhere an acting different this year...a guys just gotta be out there and get lucky where theres some elk around i guess...thank god i got lucky this year...but i was getting frustrated too up until the night of the 16th

Worked pretty good for us this year, you get close enough they answer....:mrgreen: