PDA

View Full Version : maps

daywalker
09-15-2010, 09:44 PM
I was wondering were the best place to get detailed maps from. I am going up to Fort. St. John hunting and would like a map of were private land ends and begins for basically several regions. Just wondering were to get this and if it could be gotten from the internet free.

bridger
09-15-2010, 10:10 PM
maps are available from the survey companies in fort st john but are not free.

daywalker
09-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Do you know which survey companies would be the better ones or could you get them from city counsel

pete_k
09-15-2010, 11:27 PM
You can check this out.
http://geobc.gov.bc.ca/
I recall finding an online source of some really great maps in TIFF form.
I have access to a large format printer for free so printing costs me nothing. A print shop would charge you about $20 to $40 per map.
Where you from Daywalker?

zazman
09-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Stop in at McElhanney. They are on the bypass road as you come in from the south Hwy 97.

daywalker
09-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Will they have the maps I am looking for. What should I ask for. Looking for a good elk spot.

bridger
09-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Do you know which survey companies would be the better ones or could you get them from city counsel

get them from Mcelhanney's they show land owner names as well. city council does not have them. and I don't believe thegovernment does either as they are a private map you can get a map from gov that will show crown and private land but no names for contact.

bridger
09-16-2010, 07:08 AM
maps won't show where the elk are. that takes other research. maps will just show private/crown and landowner names.

jhausner
09-16-2010, 10:45 AM
iMapBC gives you options for setting layers with private land vs crown and such. Takes a bit to get used to but I find it pretty good outside of going to the lands office itself.

If you are hunting a very specific area and doing it often it is best to talk to the lands office and get a detailed map printed up for you but the online version works fine.

http://webmaps.gov.bc.ca/imfx/imf.jsp?site=imapbc