PDA

View Full Version : lower mainland bowhunting

pickaspot
09-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Im a young guy, 22, and have been bowhunting since I was 12. It is safe to say it is my passion and religion. I love high country backpack style hunts and also enjoy chasing deer, elk and moose.

After living in the Lower Mainland for a few years and never hunting in the area its finally time to get after it. I typically just hunt hard with my dad and brother for the few sparing weeks or weekends that I get home for. I would really like to expand my bowhunting horizons and am a bit stumped on how to get started. A couple days a year just isn't cutting it and I can feel the call of the wild. It just feels a bit intimidating in a new region without a single friend in the hunting circle.

I would be forever grateful of someone who pointed me in the right direction. Any kind of resources that have helped you guys out in the past or anything else you are willing to share to help a young guy get started would be greatly appreciated. Is there any societys/clubs I could join? Id love to tag along and am more than willing to help out on a hunt (put up stands, pack out game, etc.) just to be along for the experience is what its all about.

Anyways, the point of all this I guess is to introduce myself and hope Im lucky to meet some of you hardcore bowhunters in the Lower Mainland or anywhere in BC for that matter! :-D

Shoot straight and hunt hard.

Bow Walker
09-16-2010, 09:27 AM
When I lived over there I used to go up to Squamish and then into the bush from there. Up the Stawamus River, and over into the Indian River drainage. Plenty of sign, lots of higher up country, and not too far for a decent day-hunt.

Then there's plenty of other country to the NW of the highway.

bearhunter338-06
09-16-2010, 09:48 AM
1) buy a map book
2) Get the Fraser Valley Speicial area map.
3) Study both maps.

You will find there are quite alot of places you will find withing a few hours drive of the lowermain land. There is also some nice area up around Merrit. How far are you willing to travel. Are you planing weekend hunts or going for a week.

pickaspot
09-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Great advice guys! Probably just long weekend hunts. Drive Thursday night, hunt hard Fri, Sat and Sun. Drive home.

Shootingblanks
09-18-2010, 12:32 AM
I generally hunt the Stanley Park area...if you stick to the train tracks you'll see deer, bison, and peacock. :)

Ok enough of being a smartass. Great questions, and I too would love to hear of area's within the zone 2. Although I haven't hunted the area, I hear the gulf islands are full of deer. On the mainland...I've seen deer in the Indian River area (as already mentioned) and the Chilliwack valley has a fair bit of sign as well.

As a noobie to bow hunting...I too am looking for any insight/direction from some of the more experienced local hunters. If you want to drop me a line, maybe we can pool our resources and come up with a plan of action?

Wild one
09-18-2010, 08:45 AM
My best advice for the lower mainland is hunt the over looked or hard to reach areas. If you find a good spot keep it to your self or it will not be good for long. Areas where the use of rifles is restricted are a great place to start looking as that takes some pressure of the area right away.

Kudu
09-18-2010, 09:08 AM
When I arrived here a few years ago I asked the same questions to the forum, few - and I mean very few, were willing to help.

Here is what I did....

Google earth any likely looking spots - get into a vehicle and investigate - the back country map book for the area helps a stack as well

Trust me - on a few occasions I wish I had not - One cold, early, December Sunday we found ourselves stranded a long long way from paved road, our 4x4 vehicle was severely stuck in the snow, and we were completely unprepared - but hey ho - that's the way you learn......

Soon, however, you will find that a large amount of good, productive area is behind closed gates - and that's probably why it is good and productive - the truck gang can't get readily access - my 200 xr solved that problem though.........

Send me a pm if you have any specific area tagged, If I can help - I will, If I can't I will ask - I have built up a good friendship with a number of people who will willingly help.... just not on a public forum.