PDA

View Full Version : My mountain goat hunt

porcupine
09-14-2010, 08:24 PM
As a 60th birthday present to myself, I booked a backpack hunt for a mountain goat with an outfitter in Northern BC. I have wanted to get a goat for over 40 years but had no luck on previous hunts. Also, I thought that this would be a great challenge for an “old goat” such as myself and would get me in better physical condition, always a bonus. My hunt began on September 7th when I loaded up my 40 year old Kelty backpack to start the tough climb up to where my 23 year old guide Troy and I would make a spike camp. A long distance view of the mountain showed two billies in one basin and lots of nannies and kids on another part of the mountain.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/GoatHunting019.jpg

For the next 5 hours it was a slow, lung burning uphill climb through spruce, shin tangling buck brush, Devil’s club, steep mossy slopes and rock slides. Typical stuff for this type of hunt or so I’m told. My method of getting up the hill was 10 steps uphill and then stopping for 10 deep breaths. Slow but steady wins the race they say. As we got near timberline we got our first close up view of the north facing basin where we planned to camp at timber line.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/GoatHunting021.jpg
After After setting up our small tent and unloading our packs, we crept up to the bottom of the basin to look around. On the mountain to the north we counted 17 nannies and kids. At the back end of our basin we spotted two goats, a nanny and a kid. This picture shows Troy glassing the goats at the end of the basin and near the top of the far shale slide at the base of the cliff face.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/GoatHunting033.jpg
The following morning we awoke at 7 AM to see a huge black bear working along the ridge to our left about 200 yards away. It looked to be an old bear and Troy, who has been guiding bears for 7 years and taken many Boone and Crockett bears, said it was one of the biggest that he had ever seen and he thought it would push 8 feet in length. Although I did have a black bear tag, I was not the least interested in shooting it. After a breakfast of Instant oatmeal and a cup of coffee, we headed up the basin to see what we could see from the left side. We had seen two billies from the base of the mountain in the basin on that side. It took several hours to climb up the very steep shale slope and on to the rock ridge that formed the edge of the basin. Here is a picture looking down at our camp, the two light spots in the trees near the bottom centre of the picture. http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/GoatHunting042.jpg]

After getting as high up as we could on the edge of the basin we found that we could not go any further due to the steepness of the cliff face and the drop off on the other side. We sat down with our binoculars and started looking for the two billies that we saw from the bottom of the mountains. We quickly found the biggest one bedded down on a cliff face. The other one, also big, was found a few minutes later on the other side of that basin feeding near a slide. After a bit, the big one got up, surveyed his realm and then headed over to feed near the other billy. I tried to get a good picture of the big one through the spotting scope but this was the best that I could manage.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/GoatHunting048.jpg

porcupine
09-14-2010, 08:29 PM
After watching the goats and resting for awhile it was time to descend back towards camp. Since the route we took up was so steep, and I was not skilled in “skiing” down talus slopes, we decided to descend along the ridge that we were on and on which we had seen the bear. We had to climb lower in elevation than camp and back into the trees before we could head back uphill to camp. We spent the afternoon and evening waiting to see if a billy would drop into the basin to feed. Here is a picture looking back into the basin as we descended the ridge.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/GoatHunting049.jpg

The next morning we get up at 7 AM; have some coffee and granola bars and head out of the basin on the other side. Once out onto the other side of the basin we found a nanny and kid bedded down on the grassy slope a few hundred yards above us. We had to scare them off as we climbed to the top of the mountain where a knife edge ridge allowed us to travel to other parts of the mountains. This scared the heck out of me as I had to crawl in some spots and/or get on my butt and inch along with legs hanging over both sides of the ridge. It was so steep on one side that I couldn’t look and just about as bad on the other side. Of course Troy walked along this nonchalantly. Eventually, the ridge circled to the more gently sloped (but still steep) southern side. Troy went ahead as I trundled along and soon he was peering over the edge of the mountain into the basin where we had seen the two billies. He soon came running back saying that a billy was bedded down in a perfect spot for us. He had me drop my pack and told me to grab only my rifle and bipod and not to make any noise. At that point I accidentally made a loud fart and he almost laughed out loud. He went ahead and motioned for me to crawl forward. He whispered that there were two goats bedded down and that the lower one was the biggest. I crawled to the end of a small rock outcrop, stuck my rifle slowly over the edge and looked down. The goats were bedded 168 yards away as Troy ranged them with the rangefinder. But it was too steep to use the bipod so I took that off. I slid the rifle over the rocks and pointed it down, using the trigger guard as an anchor against the rocks to steady it. I asked Troy if the lower goat was the one on the right just to make sure that I was shooting at the correct animal. He said yes and to shoot when I was ready. I had a steady rest and was too tired to be excited. I had practiced dry firing my rifle at goat pictures on the wall 100 times a day for two weeks to be ready for this moment. At the shot the goat dropped it’s head forward onto the ground and lay there dead. A perfect shot. The other goat lay there a minute then got up and looked at the other wondering what was wrong. http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/GoatHunting074.jpg

Troy congratulated me then took off quickly downhill to get to the goat so it wouldn’t slide away. He also had to scare the other goat away. Just as he got to it, it did two involuntary leg kicks and then very slowly at first started to slide. It picked up steam and slid about two hundred yards down the slope until stopping against some scrub spruce. I took this time to go back to where I left my pack, empty it of all contents and savor the moment. Shortly, I picked my way down to Troy and the goat. This is what I found when I got there.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/GoatHunting083.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/GoatHunting086.jpgont]

Of course we did not have a tape or anything to measure the horn length. Why carry anything as heavy as a small tape measure? But he looked big to me! Here is a picture of Troy with my goat. Unfortunately, I did not get any pictures of myself with my goat on my camera. Troy took some with his camera and when he stops guiding later this fall and leaves the bush I expect to get the ones that he took then. http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/GoatHunting092.jpgt]

Brett
09-14-2010, 08:33 PM
More!!!!! :)

porcupine
09-14-2010, 08:33 PM
After that it was all anticlimactic. We caped the goat for a shoulder mount. We saved the rest of the hide to be tanned. I carried the head and cape and my gear and Troy carried the boned out meat and rest of the hide as we made our way back to camp.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/GoatHunting096.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/GoatHunting098.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/GoatHunting107.jpg

We got back to camp around 5:30 PM and were in bed by 7 PM. We slept until 8 am the next morning before starting a gruelling 5 hour descent just to get off the mountain. I shot the goat on September 9th and my legs are still tired, even though I got home Sunday night, alive and in one piece. We did eventually find out that the goat was 9˝ years old and that the horns went 10” in length. I will get it fully measured after the 60 day minimum period. The hide is at the taxidermist and my wife and I had some loin medallions for dinner last night. They were very mild in flavour and not tough. A hunt of a life time. Next it’s on to moose season.

landphil
09-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Now that's a nice looking billy, I'm sure you're very proud, and rightly so!

killman
09-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Awesome story and Pics. Thanks for sharing.

Crazy_Farmer
09-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Congrats, it's a beauty. Sounds like a great adventure and way to get out there and finally harvest a Billy after all that time. I leave in 10 days for my goat hunt with dad.

KB90
09-14-2010, 08:39 PM
AWESOME!

Congrats on an a great goat! Do you mind if I ask what outfitter?

~T-BONE~
09-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Way to go! thats a beauty of a billy!!! Hope i can go after them at your age too..
Got me pumped as i'm headed out guiding for a month for those suckers..

one-shot-wonder
09-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Great goat and even better story! You cant beat an early season goat....some of my favourite meat!

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

MB_Boy
09-14-2010, 08:42 PM
COngrats Porcupine....and thanks for taking us along!!!

goathead
09-14-2010, 08:42 PM
well done. there never easy but very rewarding.that is A nice looking goat

bsa30-06
09-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Beautifull goat , congrats.

porcupine
09-14-2010, 08:45 PM
AWESOME!

Congrats on an a great goat! Do you mind if I ask what outfitter?

Stewart Berg of Double Eagle Guides and Outfitters. He has a 5,000 square mile territory. I was his first ever resident hunter and the oldest backpack hunter.

trapntrav
cool! thanks for sharing. i can only hope i have the mental and physical strength to do what you did when i'm 60! great work.

blindguy
Way to go Tom congrats for sure.Now get some rest and go get your moose.

bayou
09-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Congrats great story,pictures and goat.

BCbillies
09-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Congrats . . . that's a good mature billy! Not many hunters at 60 will backpack hunt for goat. This story may inspire a few guys to give it another go!

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
09-14-2010, 09:03 PM
beer flew out my nose when i read about the fart :mrgreen: AWESOME STORY WELL DONE!!!!

whitetailsheds
09-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Good job Tom! Great hunt...thanks for the photos and story!

blackwater moose
09-14-2010, 09:06 PM
great story and pictures,it felt like i was right there with you

d6dan
09-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Beauty Goat Porcupine!. Its a tough hunt for anyone let alone a man of your age..I tip my hat to you:-D. Great story and pictures.Thanks for sharing. Congrats.

Buck
09-14-2010, 09:07 PM
You're alive and well time to start planning next years sheep hunt!!Congrats great story and pics.

375 ultramag
09-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Happy belated 60 th birthday porcupine and congrats on a great billy

fusion
09-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Nice billy & thanks for a great write up. I know what you mean when you said you had crawl along the ridge! Hats of to you for a tough hunt and at your age.

BlacktailStalker
09-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Thats a gorgeous looking goat, good for you for fullfilling that life long desire to get one :cool:
The weather looks like it couldnt have been better and the country looks amazing.
Very inspiring for others who might think they cant do it I bet.

I cant wait to go for my goat draw in a few weeks :cool:

frenchbar
09-14-2010, 09:12 PM
That was the best porcupine...very well written and highly enjoyable to read...what a great hunt you had .tfs.

Sitkaspruce
09-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Congrats on, IMO, one of the toughest and best animals BC has to offer!!

Great story, picts and a trophy of a lifetime, cannot get any better than that!!!

Cheers

SS

nano
09-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Congrats on the fine trip!

todbartell
09-14-2010, 09:22 PM
beauty goat, congrats!!! Sorry we never got to talk more when you stopped by! thanks for posting the story and pics

DDD
09-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Great post, I'm envious and then some. Sure hope I can pull that off when I'm 60. Well done.

D

live-for-the-rut
09-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Truly an amazing adventure,great read,and a wonderfull looking animal!!!Congrats.

Chiron
09-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Great story and pictures. Congratulations on the successful hunt.

steepNdeep
09-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Now that's one happy lookin' camper... GREAT goat & story!!! thanks for takin' us along. :cool:

2x4x16
09-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Good on ya. I love to see hunters of all ages with smiles from ear to ear are their harvest. awesome job.

wunderboy
09-14-2010, 09:48 PM
One of the best stories of the year!

gerrygoat
09-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Congratulations Porcupine on a great hunt and a very nice goat. I too hope I can goat hunt at 60. Great story as well.

fozzy
09-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks for sharing your story with us. As others have said hopefully at 60 I'll be able to hunt like that.

Well done, congrats!! :)

Tenacious Billy
09-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Wow! Fantastic story! Nice work - goats aren't easy at any age!!

TSW
09-14-2010, 10:41 PM
That's an amazing billy you've taken!! It looks like it was definitely worth the wait! Even though it slid a couple hundred yards it looks very good. I bet the meat tastes good knowing how hard you worked for it!!

moose2
09-14-2010, 10:52 PM
That is a great looking billy, it was good that you could get one in an area where it did not get beat up during the fall.
Good job Porcupine

Stone Sheep Steve
09-15-2010, 06:24 AM
Great write-up and inspirational story!! Congrats!!
Hunting goals are great for keeping us in shape. Hope to be doing the same when I'm 60!!:)

PS-Ask for a new pack for your 65th:wink:.

SSS

demlake
09-15-2010, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the pics, and the story.

And congrats on the successful hunt. Beautiful goat.

dl

Coming_out_heavy.
09-15-2010, 06:49 AM
Youre in better shape than most young guys I know. Good effort. Im sure I am not alone in being impressed.

Nice goat!

Sega
09-15-2010, 07:28 AM
absolutely awsome !!! very well done, good story good hunt.

trigger
09-15-2010, 07:31 AM
That is one heck of a story there Porcupine.
A HUGE congrats to you on achieving this hunt. I know how grueling a mountain ngoat hunt can be. Very impressive to see you going after one. And what a dandy at that. thanks for sharing. great pics and story

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Congratulations on a great hunt and a beautifull Billy.I dont think 60 years is old and really your only as old as the woman you feel.:-D

Duk Dog
09-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Awesome story, and pics. Your ear to ear grin with your pack on with your goat in it says it all. Congrats!

Caribou_lou
09-15-2010, 08:39 AM
great story, I've met Troy a few times over the past few seasons. Seems like a great guy.

behemoth
09-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Love the story, congratulations! Thanks for the fueling my fire for my upcoming goat trip!!

Mtnhunter
09-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Great ending to a great story,congrats!

quadrakid
09-15-2010, 05:51 PM
You are an inspiration to us over 50 crowd. Great story and photos, thanks for sharing.

pearljam
09-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Looks like a great goat and a fun hunt! Good job!

swampthing
09-15-2010, 05:58 PM
You got me excited. I am hoping to go this weekend. I was set to go last weekend but that "work" thing got in the way. Congrats on the billy after such a long wait.

kennyj
09-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Great story and photos! Fantastic goat.
kenny

BimmerBob
09-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Beautiful goat and great read and photo's. Thanks for sharing. Bob

Viper Broadheads
09-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Congratulations!! nice Goat. Always good to see that the drive to be there never ends

goatdancer
09-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Very nice goat. Congratulations. Great job for an old fart...

Little Red Man
09-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Good gawd there are some great story tellers on here.....Thanks fer sharin' and congrats!!.....I hope to have an Elk story in the near future (crossing fingers).....

ydouask
09-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Congrats porcupine. Your smile says it all... a well deserved you took there. Oh, Happy Birthday !

Farmer
09-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Congrats on a great goat and thanks for the story of your hunt.

TIKA 300
09-16-2010, 04:04 AM
Nice goat,thanks for sharing.

sawmill
09-16-2010, 04:17 AM
Congrats tough guy!

shantz
09-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Congratulations on the hunt. way to go.

JimmyJ
09-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Awesome story porcupine!!! Congrats on the goat. I am heading out tomorrow for my goat hunt and your story has me more excited than I already was.

J-F
09-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Awesome story! Congrats for the goat.

And above all, good on you to take on such a challenging hunt for your 60th birthday. A sure source of inspiration for the 41 year old I am!

Manglinmike
09-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Hey great goat! ,my wife asks me every year "is this another trip of a lifetime?"

Beardy
09-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Congratulations on the goat. Thanks for sharing, beautiful pics, awesome hunt. I'm jealous!

180grainer
09-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Congrats, that's a nice looking trophy!!!

porcupine
11-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Well, the 60 day drying period is over and I had my mountain goat scored this week. It won't make the B & C Life Time or BC record books but it is still a great trophy in my books. I suppose that if the horns were a little bit fatter it would of been there, but who really cares? The real trophy is always the hunt and the memories that the hunt brings. I'm just thrilled that I was able to climb the mountains, that the weather was good, and the shot was even better. I've been looking at the pictures almost every day, and I consider this a great acheivement in my life. Who could ask for more?

I hope that all members of this forum have as good an experience and as many memories that I have from this hunt in their lifetimes.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/GoatBCScoreSheeta.jpg

ufishifish2
11-12-2010, 10:17 PM
How the heck did I miss this thread. Cranker of a goat. Awesome story and pics. Thanks so much Porcupine, and congrats....

BCbillies
11-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Your experience/story has captured the essence of " the hunt". Those alpine experiences are never forgotten and often re-lived. The trophy aspect of an animal has a lot more to it than the numbers!

As the legendary Glenn St. Charles wrote "every time is a once in a lifetime experience - all different".

sherpa-Al
11-13-2010, 12:33 AM
Congratulations on your Billy! To do a hunt like this at 60 is truly outstanding, my hat's off to you!
I took my cousin goat hunting 3 years ago, when he was 59 years old. He had been asking me for 10 years straight if I'd take him, and I told him I'd take him after he quit smoking. Well he did and we went. It was as most goat hunts go, gruelling. He pushed himself to the limit or what he thought was his limit and then beyond, way beyond. It was very tough on me as well watching him go through hell and refusing to give up. He ended up taking a great goat and having the time of his life even though it didn't feel like it at that particular time. Even though his goat didn't score as well as he might have hoped, as we reminess about the hunt as we often do the score or the size of the goat isn't talked about. The highlights are climbing the mountain, the scenery, making it back down, shooting a goat, and getting chased off the hill by a pack of bears. He also refers to this hunt as his "hunt of a lifetime".

boxhitch
11-13-2010, 08:06 AM
Great thread, thanks for sharing your hunt.
Nice size goat, looks like he has some age on too

porcupine
02-17-2011, 12:34 AM
Just got some photos from my guide Troy this week and finally have a picture of me with my goat and a few scenic shots. Here they are:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/074c.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/074.jpg

Me climbing on the first day

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/066.jpg

Me heading to the scary part of the ridge

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/072.jpg

Goats grazing

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/083.jpg

Pioneerman
02-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Amazing strory, country and animal, thanks for sharing

kennyj
02-17-2011, 06:17 AM
Awesome photos. Thats a great goat.
kenny

The Hermit
02-17-2011, 06:38 AM
Porcupine!!! Excellent story and pictures of your terrific goat and hunt. I am SO excited to be leaving today or tomorrow on a late season goat hunt up by Stewart. I've been packed and ready to go for a month but the avalanche danger has kept us out. Thanks for posting!

olharley guy
02-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Howdy, beautiful goat and an excellent job well done for the middle aged hunters. Goats are not only for the younger crowd as you have shown. LOL Later

Kitimat Killer
02-18-2011, 02:31 PM
congrats on the awesome hunt and really nice goat way to go

kk

leadpillproductions
02-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Love the pics great story thanks for sharing

Rackmastr
02-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Great goat and some awesome pics!!

tomahawk
02-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Right on!! Great goat, pics and story! Love the fart reference, too funny!!

upnover
02-18-2011, 06:19 PM
You are an inspiration to all us old guys! And i am so relieved to know that fartin' does'nt scare anything away but my wife.

44inchStone
02-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Congrats !!!! YA OLD FART!!!!!!!!! LOLOL Great job on a well earned goat

Will
02-22-2011, 11:15 PM
Still catching up on some reads.......Well Done young fella !
Great looking Billy:cool:

ROEBUCK
02-22-2011, 11:41 PM
very good read and pictures
thanks for posting

Call of the Wild
02-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Very nice story and great achievement, great scenery as well!! I hope you can inspire other hunters. I wish my dad would follow me one day on one of my trips.

decker9
10-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Was looking threw your post here, thinking to myself this mountain sure look familiar, turns out I just got back from a hunt on this mountain a couple weeks ago lol, I worked for Stew a few years back for a season...Very nice goat Porcupine!! great pics and story, and a true trophy! cheers!