PDA

View Full Version : Sharin' Honey Holes???

steepNdeep
09-13-2010, 10:32 PM
How many guys have had a honey hole 'shared'???

<Scenario>
A buddy put in several years learning a special little area many miles off the main FSR with his partner and eventually they both took good animals from the remote little honey hole. They agreed that they could both bring friends in there to hunt, as long as they agreed on who it was and the friend only hunted it with one of them. The next year one of them invited a friend...

Once the friend learned the area, he said that since he'd driven the main FSR before, it was nothing new to him. The following year he brings other buddies from out of town and hunts the little honey hole with them... more people the following year... honey hole no more... Whaddayafigure?

Shooter
09-13-2010, 10:42 PM
You said it right in your post.... There are many ways to hunt a particular area. Sometimes its the way an area is hunted that makes it productive. You gotta be careful when you show someone a productive way to hunt an area. I share areas with some people at times but I tell few people the little tricks I have learned on the area. Somethings need to be learned on our own. And of course, some areas stay closely guarded.

Sitkaspruce
09-13-2010, 10:50 PM
I have shared a few "Special" places with a couple good hunting buddies, but I have know both for a lot of years and trust them to keep quite. And they have returned the favor.

Like shooter says, you also have to know how to hunt the areas well. Just riding up and down the roads will not always kill the animal in the "special" place.

I have also helped others in areas that I know have good pop of animals and have no problem passing on general info about a place.

Cheers

SS

pete_k
09-13-2010, 11:08 PM
I found a spot and scouted hard for a week. Lots of action.
Figured out where to camp and the whole bit.
Even set up camp to await him and his wife.

We head out next morning to the area and split up. He gets a cranker.
I was excited for him and shook his hand and was genuinely nearly as happy as he was. I ask him where he got it?
He says "I'll tell you everthing except that"

I was gob-smacked. I'm not sure if the look on my face betrayed how I was feeling at that moment. After all that major leg work. Also, I thought we were hunting buddys. He says it to me right in front of my fiance which kind of belittled me as well.

Honestly, I never really cared where he got it. I know the area well enough and probably know within 1000 metres of where he got it.
I was simply asking to keep the conversation going and the story coming.

He wants to go again this year and keeps calling.
Maybe next year. I'm goin solo this year.

BCrams
09-13-2010, 11:11 PM
I've been burned big time in the past. As well as learn later that someone tells the next and then guys are all of a sudden flooding the area.

I have met a few individuals whom I have gotten to know whether having hunted with them or not, that I can trust and they can trust with me knowing I won't say anything either.

Some info I am pretty free with but other stuff is just a no go. It also depends on who the individual is.

Bear Chaser
09-13-2010, 11:23 PM
I now take very few new people to my areas. Some are literally right under the nose of all kinds of traffic.
My old hunting partner and I even used to get his wife to drop us off so we wouldn't have to leave a truck parked where people could see & know where we were hunting.
Serious whitetail hunters should clam up faster than sheep outfitters if you try to get information from them.

Amphibious
09-14-2010, 06:50 AM
i tend to share as much info as possible with places I'VE found to be productive. places I have BEEN shown I stay very tight lipped about. it's about respecting the hard work that went into finding them.

of course, a couple spots I do keep, just for myself, and who ever I choose to bring along on a trip.

wolverine
09-14-2010, 07:33 AM
I've been burned as well so I don't share info like that anymore. People yap too much and next time you go there it's full of people and no game. Just an aside.... Sunday I was dropping my deer off at the cutters and some guy walked in and was looking at it and... get this... right in the middle of the shop asks me where I got it. I pointed to the neck and said "Right about there". He says "No, really. Where'd you get it?" This time the cutter heard him and jumped all over his ass and told him if he was hanging around the shop trying to get hunting info to bugger off. The guy stood there looking at me like "are you going to tell me or what" look. So I told him that unless he had a C/O's badge in his pocket he ought not to be asking those questions. Guy was all pissed off and left. Some people just don't get it and are always looking for the easy way. Nope, don't share info anymore.

hardnocks
09-14-2010, 08:01 AM
I have been burned more then once . Took a friend into a honey hole i had. their was one big buck that would lay on a sidehill and could see anything coming. My friend was going to help me get him. the day i took him in their we saw 4 smaller bucks . my ex friend wasn`t at work the next day he took all is brothers and inlaws in and shot all 4 of the small bucks .

and the big guy was gone.

Crawfy42
09-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Do the safest thing, blindfold people you take in to your spots for the whole drive :mrgreen:

knighthunter
09-14-2010, 10:23 AM
I likely would if I had some close friends and or some honey holes. LOL.

mike_b
09-14-2010, 10:30 AM
I don't see what the big deal is about sharing the "secrets" of the area you hunt. I someone asks me for advice on a particular area that I'm familiar with, I'm happy to give them some tips. And on the same token, I ask for advice on an area that I'm nterested in hunting for I'm not familar with it.

Lots of game out there folks; more then enough for everyone

newhunterette
09-14-2010, 10:30 AM
apparently I share way to much so have been sworn to bite my tongue, fear of the backlash that follows for talk talk talk, but I can be bribed hehehee shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

steepNdeep
09-14-2010, 12:12 PM
I have no problem sharing information on most hunting spots and have taken several new hunters out and pointed many more into areas that I've hunted before with good animal populations. I get a kick out of seeing other hunters (especially new ones) get their animals... :cool:

However, if I've worked hard hunting a particular buck/bull I don't want a bunch of people stompin' around the area and changing his natural patterns... I expect partners & friends to respect that.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-14-2010, 12:14 PM
However, if I've worked hard hunting a particular buck/bull I don't want a bunch of people stompin' around the area and changing his natural patterns... I expect partners & friends to respect that.

Shoot that big bull your chasing then get on the SPOT or cell phone and call for help packing him out:). The KING is dead...and the secret spot is out!

SSS

steepNdeep
09-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Shoot that big bull your chasing then get on the SPOT or cell phone and call for help packing him out:). The KING is dead...and the secret spot is out! SSS

A slave like me doesn't have any time to chase bulls or anything else... you should know that, purple feet. :wink:

burger
09-14-2010, 04:01 PM
I will help people with areas I have been in and if its productive but I would not give up exact spots but more general info.

seanps
09-14-2010, 05:34 PM
This is an interesting discussion. I'm new-ish to the area and am still in the process of discovering sweet spots (and spend a lot of time trekking around in completely useless ones).

I appreciate the help of folks who have given me general information on where to go, but can't see myself sharing particular spots (i.e., I'd say, "try this FSR", not, "Drive down the main FSR for 4 km, follow a trail for 20 metres, turn right and walk for five minutes.").

This also comes up for mushroom foraging. I brought back 3lb of chanterelles after the first day out hunting, only to have friends who I shared them with ask where I found them.

dana
09-14-2010, 06:28 PM
I don't have any secret honey holes cause Jelvis has shared all of them on this site. ;)

fozzy
09-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Yes three of us have hunted an area for many years that is basically *%#ed now because one of the guys we showed the area turned into a real dickhead and insists that he'll continue to hunt there.

Anyone want GPS co ordinates for a good Mulie hunt? If I can't go back there he might as well have company!

lynx
09-14-2010, 06:53 PM
I share but only if there is a youth hunter involved and if so they hunt some hot spots. havnt had a youth go home empty handed yet. Check out junior gets 6x6 Elk

steepNdeep
09-14-2010, 07:15 PM
I don't have any secret honey holes cause Jelvis has shared all of them on this site. ;)

Jelvis just spouts off every name in the backroads mapbook... (I'm surprised he can even read.) Apparently he's too busy babblin' to actually shoot anything. :rolleyes:

luckynuts
09-14-2010, 07:31 PM
HHmmm anybody takes me into Their spot it stays their spot. If someone takes me into a spot I have already hunted I let them know right away that I have hunted it and prove to them I have by giving a good description of the area and say I might see you in here someday again. Like many on here there is a great pleasure in helping someone get there first animal. I took a buddy out for moose 5 years ago for his first and then took him into an area for elk we have both hunted for the last 3 yrs trying to get our first bulls and this Saturday he took a nice 5x5. Couldn't have been more happier for him.

If I have been watching a particular animal all season or stumbled across a trophy I will keep it to myself. I find it really challenging to hunt a particular animal, actually I think some days it's more frustrating than challenging:-D

W

mudNblood
09-14-2010, 07:51 PM
There's plenty of game out there so pointing others in the right direction is a great way to "pay it forward". I'm sure we've all recieved help at some point.:-D

Lillypuff
09-14-2010, 07:57 PM
I will share my own spots but if someone takes me to theirs I will share absolutely nothing and even call them and see if I can hunt in the spot they took me

steepNdeep
09-15-2010, 08:39 AM
My old hunting partner and I even used to get his wife to drop us off so we wouldn't have to leave a truck parked where people could see & know where we were hunting.

:biggrin: Now that's serious stealth action! I don't see my wife gettin' up at 2:30am with me... good work.

Roughneck Country
09-15-2010, 12:02 PM
I will share my own spots but if someone takes me to theirs I will share absolutely nothing and even call them and see if I can hunt in the spot they took me

X2 if im shown a spot I dont say a word about it to anyone.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-15-2010, 12:35 PM
:biggrin: Now that's serious stealth action! I don't see my wife gettin' up at 2:30am with me... good work.

Just take the wife's car like some mutual friend of ours!:wink:

SSS

Goliath
09-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Been burned...you bet! I'm as cautious as anyone about sharing info with some hunter "accross the street"...never mind over the net. There's way too many lurkers out there snooping out what the HBC boys are doing. Looking at the photos, piecing together years of threads, trying to deduce what/where/when on Google Earth. Sometime it's actually pretty easy to figure out someone's identity, where/when they hunt, when their house is UNATTENDED (!), names of kids, neighbours etc. Way too much info dude.

You won't believe it untill you're burned.

As the saying goes:
Good judgement comes from experience...and experience, well, that comes from bad judgement.

sawmill
09-15-2010, 04:10 PM
I have a great hunting pard,we share spots but don`t tell others the super spots.That being said, I have showed some members here some great areas to hunt and camp and most get their game.

emerson
09-15-2010, 07:23 PM
I'm new to figuring out where and how animals live and will appreciate any leg up I can get. On the other hand, I am naturally secretive and cynical, so although I like help, I understand those who have been burned.

Big_Island_Hunter
09-16-2010, 07:56 AM
There is only two people I trust when it comes to my good hunting spots, one is me and the other is not you :) No i like to see my buddies do well also and i think by sharing with your hunting partners helps everyone produce good bucks. Thats not to say telling every buddy because I have been burned bad in the past.