PDA

View Full Version : Newb Compulsory Inspection

llloyd
09-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Haven't hunted anything with a CI before. After I pop my trophy goat, how is it supposed to work? After I pack it out, get on the phone and set up an appointment with to check it out? Or can the taxidermist get it done? What about out of region, I live in R2 but will be hunting in R4. Obviously I want to get the meat to the meat man and the rest to the taxi asap.

Crawfy42
09-13-2010, 10:19 PM
You have to get the compulsory inspection done by somebody who is authorized to do so. The taxidermist I go to (in surrey) does it. He will pull out maps and you will have to point out the exact location you shot the goat. You need to get the inspection done within 30 days from the date of the kill and it doesn't say this anywhere but you need a little tuft if goat fur. Like an inch by an inch or so. It gets sent out in a vile for analysis. Doesn't say it anywhere but they need it, I just went through this process about a week ago.

burger
09-13-2010, 10:24 PM
You have to get the compulsory inspection done by somebody who is authorized to do so. The taxidermist I go to (in surrey) does it. He will pull out maps and you will have to point out the exact location you shot the goat. You need to get the inspection done within 30 days from the date of the kill and it doesn't say this anywhere but you need a little tuft if goat fur. Like an inch by an inch or so. It gets sent out in a vile for analysis. Doesn't say it anywhere but they need it, I just went through this process about a week ago.

If it doesnt say it anywhere then how is someone supposed to know that and what if you don't have a piece.

Will chest hairs suffice?:mrgreen:

Crawfy42
09-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Lol that would be good. I'm not sure what happens if you don't have a hair sample, most likely nothing because it doesn't say anything about it anywhere. My taxidermist said it's pretty stupid the way it's all setup.

digger dogger
09-14-2010, 07:48 AM
Call Fur & Feathers in surrey, I would get your goat mounted by Frank aswell.
604-594-7772

Rodd
09-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Hey Lloyd, There is already some snow up high, so I'd pack warm too. Seen a few nice goats in your/my area right from work in the parking lot. I work in Parson..... Look on google earth.... When you guys coming up?

They live in some nasty places around here, and seeing them is only the start, the hard part is getting up to where they live, and then getting them down from the nasty! Make sure you got GOOD boots, and the better shape your in, the better. My climb rate is approx.1250ft vertical an hour, and it takes me about 4-5 hours to summit out around here.

Area you excited yet? LOL

Crawfy42
09-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Yep that's where I go to... Fur and feathers. Frank does awesome work.

llloyd
09-14-2010, 09:36 AM
We're heading up Oct 15. Been training 3-4 times a week, working up in the weight on my pack. Irish Setter Elk Tracker boots here, so far they've been good to me I definetly won't have cold feet with all the thinsulate. Hope those qualify as good, was the best I could afford :)

I managed 2000ft vertical in 1.5hr on the weekend but that almost killed me and only had about 35lb pack.

Am I excited? I'll be lucky if I don't get fired for obsessing over this ;-)

Hey Lloyd, There is already some snow up high, so I'd pack warm too. Seen a few nice goats in your/my area right from work in the parking lot. I work in Parson..... Look on google earth.... When you guys coming up?

They live in some nasty places around here, and seeing them is only the start, the hard part is getting up to where they live, and then getting them down from the nasty! Make sure you got GOOD boots, and the better shape your in, the better. My climb rate is approx.1250ft vertical an hour, and it takes me about 4-5 hours to summit out around here.

Area you excited yet? LOL

Rodd
09-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Sounds like your in great shape, thats a good thing! Your boots will be fine, good ankle support is great, but whatever you can afford is fine! Don't be getting fired, or you won't be able to come next year for sure!LOL I'm feelin your excitement too Lloyd, I love to see people get what they are dreaming about, just as much as being successful myself. I've shot lots in my career as a hunter, so success or no succes for me its all about the experience and meeting new people like yourself so i can talk your ear off about hunting, If I could only make a living talking about hunting???? I'd love that.... haha! See you in Oct.

Rodd
09-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Don't forget you'll be starting your hike at around 3500ft, and climbing to 8000 + So I'm not sure what elevation your training at. Remember the turtle always wins the race! :)

stanway
09-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Jerry at Kent Outdoors in Agassiz does C.I.'s. You just need to phone ahead to make an appointment. 604-796-0006

sawmill
09-14-2010, 04:02 PM
We're heading up Oct 15. Been training 3-4 times a week, working up in the weight on my pack. Irish Setter Elk Tracker boots here, so far they've been good to me I definetly won't have cold feet with all the thinsulate. Hope those qualify as good, was the best I could afford :)

I managed 2000ft vertical in 1.5hr on the weekend but that almost killed me and only had about 35lb pack.

Am I excited? I'll be lucky if I don't get fired for obsessing over this ;-)

Ah....goat hunters:wink: I used to hunt them in Hazelton,those days are long gone,I finally came to my senses:mrgreen:

RoscoeP
09-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Ah....goat hunters:wink: I used to hunt them in Hazelton,those days are long gone,I finally came to my senses:mrgreen:
That's good it's not nice to hunt goat hunters. ha ha!

JDR
09-14-2010, 05:07 PM
You have 30 days to get it compulsory inspected. You can see a list of CI's by region here:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/ci.html#ShowAll