PDA

View Full Version : Junior gets 6x6 Elk

Glassman
09-13-2010, 12:29 PM
My son got a 6x6 Elk up in the Peace. We called him in with a bugle/whistle and some cow chirps. When he stepped into the open junior shot him with his .270 at 50 yards in the head.

Leaseman
09-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Good on him!

Now where are the pics......:wink:

lynx
09-13-2010, 12:35 PM
yea some pics ,,,,and my lord there has to be more to the story than that lol tell it like it happened hahaha, better yet let the kid write it

doubled
09-13-2010, 12:42 PM
CMON, we need pics and the full suspense story!!! Well done for junior!

lynx
09-13-2010, 12:55 PM
CMON, we need pics and the full suspense story!!! Well done for junior!
I happened to be there and the story starts .... wake up kid theres an elk going in the bush... then the suspence. the story should be better than you would think lol

Actually I was proud to be there

trigger
09-13-2010, 01:06 PM
good to hear guys, but please dont leave us all hanging. No storey is welcome with out pics.

d6dan
09-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Good on him!

Now where are the pics......:wink:

x2 here..WE NEED PICS!!. PLEASE..:-D

Glassman
09-13-2010, 01:32 PM
I tried to load pics but it won't let me. Something about file size. Any body have any other suggestions on how to load if file size to big? The picture was taken at 6mp.
Hey lynx, you sure you want everybody to see what you look like?

Glassman
09-13-2010, 01:35 PM
I won't let stinky(junior) tell the story because he will tell everybody about the 6point that I messed up on.

newhunterette
09-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Glassman - pm sent

lynx
09-13-2010, 01:40 PM
I won't let stinky(junior) tell the story because he will tell everybody about the 6point that I messed up on.
Thats ok you did mess up and he out showed his dad lol. just want his story of his kill dont need your sad story of well the next time i will do better lol

lynx
09-13-2010, 01:43 PM
I tried to load pics but it won't let me. Something about file size. Any body have any other suggestions on how to load if file size to big? The picture was taken at 6mp.
Hey lynx, you sure you want everybody to see what you look like?
edit me out lol, then the file will be smaller to download

Glassman
09-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Hey Lynx.
Your grin is almost as big as his, but not as big as mine.
Pics are coming quickly. Thanks hunterette

newhunterette
09-13-2010, 01:59 PM
here are the pics

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/HuntingPictures032.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/HuntingPictures030.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/HuntingPictures033.jpg

luckynuts
09-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Right on,

Gotta love these new up and comers... Huge congrats to the boy and everyone involved.

Tthis morning would have been great for elk, my buddy just popped his first ever 5x5 on Saturday.. Lots of elk hitting the ground.....

W.

Glassman
09-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks newhunterette for posting pics. Can you tell me how you did it because when I tried to do it, it kept telling me that my file was to big, even after just one picture?

d6dan
09-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Thats a beauty Glassman!, Your son looks stoked!!:-D. Congrats again..

lightmag
09-13-2010, 03:42 PM
thats the best!!! i can hardly wait for my kids to be old enough, 2, 6.... great memories!! congrats to both of you.

BimmerBob
09-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Nice! The look on his face in that pic about says it all... but what about an expanded story on the hunt from him? Congratulations, great of you to share your success with us!

TSW
09-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Newhunterette, can you post the story too?! haha.

lynx
09-13-2010, 04:43 PM

the only way to get the story is from the hunter himself or by me but its up to him. In fact i will enjoy it myself. There only one problem, he has to wake up LOL. This kid sleeps alot lol.

So glassman get him up and start typing. Oh by the way tell him to start with losing the elk call instead of waking up lmao

newhunterette
09-13-2010, 04:45 PM

hey I am good but believe me I am not good enough to read a kids mind lol,

but if he wants to dictate it to me I will type it and post it lol

it's always best to get it from the hunter's perspective.

Glassman
09-13-2010, 05:27 PM
This is his 1st bull Elk. The other Elk he shot was a cow a couple of years ago.
Antlers are going to Harley Whites to get mounted on an oak plaque. Junior wants them hung in his room so his older brother can see them every day, to remind him that he shot a bigger animal than he has.
Junior shoots a Tikka M65 in .270 cal with handloaded 130 grain Speers pushing 3100fps. I asked him what the kick was like and he said "what kick, didn't feel a thing." I'm glad I put a limbsaver recoil pad on.
Story goes like this:
Woke up at 4:00am and it took junior a little while to get out of bed. He was going to make Lynx(buddy) a coffee but 5 minutes of extra sleep seemed like a much better idea. After getting dressed and then a 15 minute drive to drop me(the Dad) and buddy off on a gas cut-line to see if there is going to be more than a couple of cows and a spiker Elk from the evening before, junior and Lynx went to another cut-line and a pump-jack lease area. I heard from where I was, about 3/4 mile away, an Elk bugle. Right after the bugle was another bugle. Turned out it was lynx bugleling and the 2nd bugle was mister 6 pointer answering. Apperantly juniors eyes opened way up when he heard that it was so close. Mister 6er came out of the bush to check things out but junior was too busy fiddling with the scope and so mister 6er went back into the bush. Lynx did another bugle and some cow chirps and then they went to the access road to see if he would try and come around them to check them out again. Sure enough Mr 6er came out but was running down the road. Lynx chirped again and that stopped him but all junior had was a "texas heart shot". After anouther couple of cow chirps Mr 6er went broadside. Lynx wanted to say "take him" but all he got out was "take.." and then there was boom. The Tikka snorted and the bull fell to one shot.
Meanwhile........... back on the cutline, I heard the shot and said to my friend "dam, some lucky bugger got one right close to us and maybe even right close to the road. Stuff like that never happens to me". We waited on the cutline for something to maybe come across us but all was still. Until........... the 2way radio went " hey Dad, are you there"? I said "yup, did you hear the shot." I did not know they were there because they were supposed to get juniors calf moose tag. Junior said "ya I heard the shot, when are you coming back"? Well... that was my 1st clue that something was up. That, and I could tell he had a grin on his face. After a 20 min walk to the spot they were picking us up I new something was up because he was just hanging around the truck looking all suspicous, and he was trying to keep the grin off of his face. When he asked for a cold beverage of the malt type I knew now for-sure something was up, but a look into the back of the truck showed me nothing. When I asked if he got something he said "yes, lets go get it". I thought maybe a weeny whitetail or maybe his LEH calf moose. When we got to the Elk my eyes nearly popped out of my head. Here was a 6 point bull Elk lying next to the road already all cleaned out and waiting for us to put in the back of the truck.
I was pretty proud to see my 15 year old son take his 1st bull elk and it's a 6 point.
If you think he has a grin on his face you should have seen mine.

pappy
09-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Great story, makes for some good memories.

ydouask
09-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Wonderful story... and another youth enters the fold.

M.Dean
09-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Well Junior, that Elk is going to look real fine on your wall!!! Congrats!

LeverActionJunkie
09-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Way to go Junior! Thats one dandy bull.

nano
09-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Nice bull,congrats!

Spy
09-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Great story & pics welll done.:mrgreen:

VicP
09-13-2010, 09:42 PM
here are the pics

Need to adjust the date on your camera. Either that or your son hasn't shot it yet. Nice job....

Glassman
09-13-2010, 10:06 PM
You are right. I am off by a month. I will adjust camera now. All my pictures from the whole trip are off.

lynx
09-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Great story Glassman. There was alot more to it than you told lol. I still want to here the best of it from Stinky. nothing like the words of the killer. He better not force me to write it all as it happened or next yr he might get a skunk hahaha

Yes your grin was big but I got to see it all from when he turned to me after the shot. His was from ear to ear and he actually had teeth LOL

trigger
09-14-2010, 09:05 AM
That's just awesome. A huge congrats on a beautiful bull

Martin_Hunter
09-14-2010, 09:11 AM
here are the pics

Awesome Elk! Congrats...

TSW
09-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Right On!!!

Glassman
09-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Picked up the meat yesterday. It was 461 lbs hanging at the butcher. Junior made me pay for the cutting. What the heck. I am going to make him bbq the steaks.

lynx
09-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Bet he doesnt even invite me :( couldnt even make me a coffee! The thanks I get lol

Rodd
09-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Great Job Guys all around! So did you give him a malt drink? I think he deserves it! He's stepped into the realm of manhood now, and beer certainly wouldn't hurt him! LOL Your going to have a tough time beating him this year DAD! haha! My son 11 is going after his first Bull this weekend..... We'll see how massive his smile is hopefully! Congrats again, and i'd be treating Mr. Lynx to an amazing dinner for sure at the very least!