PDA

View Full Version : 5-14 Muley hunt

RDM
09-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Looking for some info on 5-14 places to hunt for muley.My son`s first hunt and he has a doe draw.

TimberPig
09-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Which zone A or B?

There is a lot of good area in there in both zones, but quite a bit of private land as well.

Also be aware that the fires burned a large area in the south of zone A and are still burning. No general access restrictions, but many burned out danger trees and potentially impassable roads.

RDM
09-13-2010, 01:12 PM
We usually hunt near Raven lake but that is when we have a moose draw.

TimberPig
09-13-2010, 03:17 PM
We usually hunt near Raven lake but that is when we have a moose draw.

Which zone is his draw for though? And which time period (October or November). Raven is 5-14A, not the best deer country in November, ok in October. You want to be closer to the river in November to fill a doe draw.

warnniklz
09-13-2010, 03:38 PM
I grew up in Williams Lake and hunt(ed)/worked that area a lot. It burned up pretty well this summer and living in Vancouver now I don't really get out scouting the area as much. None the less it was great for some after work/after school roach poaching until guys started camping right where the deer use to come out onto the fields. Now the trick is get out and walk a hundred or more yards into the bush and work down towards the river. It may take a little time but they're there once you learn the land. Walk ridges and ravines but make sure you don't highlight yourself along ridgeline.

RDM
09-13-2010, 09:47 PM
We are heading in october.Raveb is just a good camp.We will hunt on the otherside of hwy 20 I would think.Gotta get out of the pine and into the fir trees.Hopefull I will be able to fill a buck tag myself.5-14 A.What roads are good to get close to the river?

TimberPig
09-13-2010, 10:53 PM
We are heading in october.Raveb is just a good camp.We will hunt on the otherside of hwy 20 I would think.Gotta get out of the pine and into the fir trees.Hopefull I will be able to fill a buck tag myself.5-14 A.What roads are good to get close to the river?

5-14A is north of Highway 20. You would be much better to be hunting Meldrum Creek area along the Fraser than to be camped at Raven Lake in the southwest corner of 5-14A.

Your son's draw isn't valid south of Highway 20 along the Chilcotin River based upon the information you have provided.

McIntyre Lake or Till Lake are right in Meldrum Creek, although the fires burnt right up to the Till Lake site, might be lots of danger trees around there.

RDM
09-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Sorry guys.His draw is good for all of 5-14.(junior hunt) I like Meldrum I am just worried the deer will have left because of the fire.Would be nice to through a rod in a lake in the afternoon as well. I am getting away from the Raven idea .It will save 20K each way of driving everymorning.We are not road hunters we like to hike.

tinhorse
09-14-2010, 08:51 AM
there are does everywhere. should not be a problem. try strouse road. about 10 km before raven.

RDM
09-14-2010, 07:36 PM
I was thinking of that rd. We might stay at the Becher dam rec site.Then were close to everything