PDA

View Full Version : Moose help in 7 03 thanxs

bigben
09-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Without revealing any secrets how is the moose hunting in 7 03 my hunting partner and I have drew a moose permit in this zone thanxs

MuleyMadness
09-12-2010, 10:24 PM
It's a fairly good area, with good moose and bear, including grizz populations...plenty of deer as well if you feel like plugging one. Not the best access in the world, but you should be okay. Limited 12 month a year hunting too, if you know what I mean. Learn up on calling moose, then head up during the rut, should be fine. The Holmes River FSR does a huge loop through the whole area, with lots of off shoots and good areas for hunting in. The best advice though is to get yourself up there and take a look around before your hunt, or the days preceeding it. There is some serious terrain in the area as well, so be prepared for anything, including tons of snow (10 days ago there was fresh snow halfway down the mountains near Blue River, which is 2 or so hours south of there.

Good luck.

BCrams
09-12-2010, 10:40 PM
I'd go right now if I were you. Closer you get to calf season, the place turns into a gong show within a limited area to hunt with highest traffic up the Holmes (Beaver) Rd. Good wetland areas to hunt starting about 30 - 40 clicks back but camps are set up all over in there. The outfitter has a couple camps up the Morkill River and is "supposed" to hunt with horses because there's a Vehicle Closure for anything related to hunting.

Outfitter takes good moose up the Beaver despite traffic. Need to get out and hike into the pockets.

Another good bet would be to drift the Fraser in a canoe / boat.

Access to hunt in the main valley is limited due to private land on that side of the zone.

MuleyMadness
09-12-2010, 11:00 PM
I'd go right now if I were you. Closer you get to calf season, the place turns into a gong show within a limited area to hunt with highest traffic up the Holmes (Beaver) Rd. Good wetland areas to hunt starting about 30 - 40 clicks back but camps are set up all over in there. The outfitter has a couple camps up the Morkill River and is "supposed" to hunt with horses because there's a Vehicle Closure for anything related to hunting.

Outfitter takes good moose up the Beaver despite traffic. Need to get out and hike into the pockets.

Another good bet would be to drift the Fraser in a canoe / boat.

Access to hunt in the main valley is limited due to private land on that side of the zone.

Yeah that's a good point, I forgot about the calf season gong show. Less weather issues to contend with now (cold I mean). Plus as an added bonus, you might happen to run into some elk out looking for love, though they are a bit less common in that area yet, despite the GOS.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.