PDA

View Full Version : hooked on alpine hunting

sarnold
09-12-2010, 09:37 PM
went out sat in the monashee mtn's east of lumby, quaded up into the alpine here we had seen a bachlor group last weekend, started to hike to the spot and looked across at a nearby mtn and saw a group of 9 bucks, set up the spotter and saw a monster. Easily over 200 non typ. then we keep walking and in the same spot as last weekend 2 bucks 5 does. the big buck takes off right away, the smaller 4 point was beating the shit out of every tree that was near we watch him for 40min. We didn't think we where within in range 550-600 we figured. later buddy with the range finder came along and we where at 280! long story short we found a hiking trail to the other mtn just over an hour hike, along a really cool rim rock, on the way we see 2 coyotes, get there we see 2 lynx the one was as big as a cougar! we also spotted a mtn goat on a near by range!
The only thing that could have made that day any better would have been is we had got something.
The alpine is just so beautiful, I can't wait to go back!

snareman1234
09-12-2010, 09:39 PM
niceeee, its good up there ehh, even better when you hike up tho

fozzy
09-12-2010, 09:46 PM
niceeee, its good up there ehh, even better when you hike up tho

"went out sat in the monashee mtn's east of lumby, quaded up into the alpine"

sounds like a nice experience but I have to agree with snareman

andrewheth
09-12-2010, 09:51 PM
I also had an awesome time this weekend in the alpine hunting mulies. It was my first time trying it and whoa you get too see some quality animals!! Although as this was my first encounter with a big buck I found him to be very weary even from 300 yards I was spotted and he took off. Can't wait to try again next weekend though!!

Jelvis
09-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Why did you come down?

andrewheth
09-12-2010, 10:00 PM
stupid thing called work!

coach
09-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Sarnold, Sarnold, Sarnold... how many times do I have to tell you? Get a rangefinder! Lol - too bad I wasn't with you guys this week. Spent a whole weekend doing work around the house. I figured for sure you guys were going to pull the trigger this weekend. Sounds like those bucks are still pretty undisturbed. Hopefully CR and I will get a chance to get up there for a crack at them mid-week.

Big Lew
09-13-2010, 08:43 AM
Hunting, hiking, any excuse, it's exilirating just being in the alpine. I took my son and his buddy backpacking up into the same general area in august a few years ago. We saw several mulie bucks and caribou in velvet hanging about the snow patches, also quite a bit of grizzly sign, so, if you are fortunate enough to shoot something, watch your back while processing and packing the meat out. One of my brothers and hunting partner had a sow with two almost full grown cubs stalking them as they were packing out elk quarters east of there in the rockies. They were lucky another hunting party saw the situation unfolding and fired warning shots.