PDA

View Full Version : Wing stepping and leg pulling?????

TESKELLY
09-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Questions?

What is the deal with stepping on a Grouse's wings and pulling up on the legs?

Does that actually work? I shot my first grouse yesterday and tried it but ended up pulling one of his legs off instead.

Is there really any benefit in doing this right away or will cleaning it that night at home do just fine?

hillclimber
09-12-2010, 09:02 PM
It will work only if the grouse is still warm. I have found if you leave them for a while it becomes hard to do it. One time I pulled out the legs wings and the head because I didn't do it right away.

BCLongshot
09-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Yap

Works great but do it right away.

Dannybuoy
09-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Questions?

What is the deal with stepping on a Grouse's wings and pulling up on the legs?

Does that actually work? I shot my first grouse yesterday and tried it but ended up pulling one of his legs off instead.

Is there really any benefit in doing this right away or will cleaning it that night at home do just fine?
Yeah it works great , best to do it right away ( you dont want to leave the guts in anyway ) then you just have breasts with wings attached for identification . But with blues I just skin them whole (I hate plucking )
and gut them of course . I cook them like a chicken

mijinkal
09-12-2010, 09:16 PM
it's the only way I know how to do it and has always worked for the 50+ grouse I've got

Do it while they're still warm.

BCLongshot
09-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Geez

U know I always forget about the identification thing.

Gotta remember.

Dannybuoy
09-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Geez

U know I always forget about the identification thing.

Gotta remember.
LOL yeah !! but I was giving advise so i had to remember .. wouldnt want to be a bad influence :)

6 K
09-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Just one thing too add to what has been previously stated. Stand on the wings close to the body and pull on both legs simutainiously with steady even pressure. Don't yank.
Will best on birds that don't have broken wings or legs.
O.K. three things to add

bigshooter
09-12-2010, 09:50 PM
If you use a shotgun it can be hard

Steeleco
09-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Take a look. My buddy shot this poor chicken all to hell. If you go slow it will still work so long as the wing bones are not broke. We made him eat the whole thing as lesson to shoot better next time!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/My%20Videos/th_MVI_1123.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/My%20Videos/?action=view&current=MVI_1123.flv)

spreerider
09-13-2010, 12:55 PM
i usually pull the heads off first as someitmes with the head still on the guts get stuck onto the breast and wings and you end up ripping the crop or guts open and making a mess.

I tried this with a one of my chickens this year and it worked but was alot harder to not tear the legs or wings off and i had to pull alot harder than with a grouse.