PDA

View Full Version : Irish Setter Boots. Thumbs up or down?

chinook
09-12-2010, 08:05 PM
How have you guys found your Irish Setters? I have a pair of 800g Thinsulate Goretex Irish Setters that are supposed to be fully water proof but are far from it. They are really comfortable but waterproof they are not, even in under fairly lightly wetted conditions. Have I got a bum pair or are they just shitty boots? If Ive got a bad pair fair enough, but I would not consider buying them again. Ive heard good things about them from others but Im not impressed, what have your experiences been with them? I guess I should have bucked up and got Meindl's or something....live and learn.....again!!

quadrakid
09-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Mine sucked,chinese made.I should have known better. Very comfy but fell apart.

bigshooter
09-12-2010, 08:14 PM
X2 they fit like a sloppy gumboot and they perform like one too. I picked mine up at onos on clearance for 29.99 so a back up pair for that price I'm not complaining but I would never pay a full price.

MuleyMadness
09-12-2010, 08:33 PM
I found with mine, after the first year, you have to really treat them with waterproofing or else they do get wet easily. Can't beat the fit though, so I put up with it...

Andy83
09-12-2010, 08:34 PM
I got a pair of 600 gram thinsulate goretex waterproof and theyve been pretty good. Comfortable and dry.

wolverine
09-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Mine are not bad for comfort but not the best I've had. They are warm and I haven't had a waterproof issue with mine but then I don't beleive any boot is water proof ( I'm sure there is but not in my price range.) and always give mine a treatment once a year just for insurance. I wore them all day yesterday and they were okay but when we finally sat down for a beer after skinning and dressing I was ready to take them off.

Sitkaspruce
09-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Have a pair of Rainiers, had them for 7 years of guiding and hunting, still no problems. Had them out today in the rain, feet were dry and warm.

Of course they are US made and they are the most comfortable boor I have ever worn.

Stay away from the offshore (Asia) stuff...

Cheers

SS

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-12-2010, 08:43 PM
I have a pair of elk trackers no concerns about the fit or the waterproofing but they are heavy than hell.

Phil
09-12-2010, 08:53 PM
I have a pair of 1000 gram full lether Setters that are great, they fit well, are dry and warm and have excellent support.

Hunterguy
09-12-2010, 09:31 PM
elk trackers also, 1000 grams with a sewn sole, not glued, treated after every use with a dubbin, never leaked and very happy with them.

sarnold
09-12-2010, 09:39 PM
x2 treat the shit out of them!

Steeleco
09-12-2010, 10:16 PM
I've got 2 pairs now. The old ones are over 10 years old now and are just used on dry days. The new ones are great, the only moisture inside is sweat!!

They both fit like tailored gloves, and I've got EE wide feet.

buzz720
09-13-2010, 07:27 PM
I have a set of deer trackers, i make sure that i sprayed them with silicon spray once a week for the first month, and then once a month there after, they handle some pretty deep puddles

LeverActionJunkie
09-13-2010, 07:37 PM
I have a pair of elk trackers no concerns about the fit or the waterproofing but they are heavy than hell.

+2 no problems yet.

chinook
09-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys. Sounds like my pair is shitty. They are off the boat and not made domestically which should have been my first clue. A comfortable boot but they will stay in the garage on wet days.

Steeleco
09-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Did you buy them recently? They have a one year leak free guarantee!!

Johnnybear
09-15-2010, 12:08 AM
First of all tell us what model you own:???:. Irish Setter makes alot of models of boots! I have a pair of Elk Trackers that see some abuse every year hear on the Island. They are in their fourth year now and starting to see signs of wear and I am ready to replace them (I'm damn happy with 4 years of service). My only complaint about them is that they are too warm in the early season. Great boot and I took care of them with the proper treatment etc. a FEW times a year.