PDA

View Full Version : what do you do with your coyotes?

lightmag
09-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Just curious as to what you coyote hunters do with all your harvested dogs?? tanned coyote hides must get boring??

Bistchen
09-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Just shoot the damn dogs. I'd like to think im an ethical hunter, but I have no love for them.

KB90
09-12-2010, 05:50 PM
skulls look cool on the shelf.

eaglesj
09-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Just shoot the damn dogs. I'd like to think im an ethical hunter, but I have no love for them.

Ethical hunting is about respect, not love.

treeclimber
09-12-2010, 06:08 PM
With yotes I allways practice shoot and release

lightmag
09-12-2010, 06:11 PM
With yotes I allways practice shoot and release

i would like to but for some reason killing something and then just "throwing " it away makes me feel awful. Killing for fun does not seem right to me? so killing coyotes for fun and throwing them away is the norm for most hunters???

nolan-sawka
09-12-2010, 06:17 PM
wack and stack.....in the ditch

tristanmac
09-12-2010, 06:19 PM
I wouldn't ever kill a coyote just because I have no use for them. There are few animals id kill for just the trophy.

killman
09-12-2010, 06:22 PM
i would like to but for some reason killing something and then just "throwing " it away makes me feel awful. Killing for fun does not seem right to me? so killing coyotes for fun and throwing them away is the norm for most hunters???

Go ahead and eat it than.:mrgreen:

LeverActionJunkie
09-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Skin em out and make head dresses and rugs for love making, it's really up to you.

sawmill
09-12-2010, 06:34 PM
I can`t shoot them any more cause they look exactly like my dog Wiley. that`s why I named him that.Had a couple in the scope and I just cound not pull the trigger.

Pete
09-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Do you want to learn how to process your coyote, skin, flesh, board and market your coyote hides? I would be more than willing to hold a 1 day class to teach anyone who is interested. I can take up to 6 students at a time. Heck of a lot more ethical than throwing them in the ditch.

lightmag
09-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Do you want to learn how to process your coyote, skin, flesh, board and market your coyote hides? I would be more than willing to hold a 1 day class to teach anyone who is interested. I can take up to 6 students at a time. Heck of a lot more ethical than throwing them in the ditch.

love to but i live up north

Pete
09-12-2010, 07:07 PM
love to but i live up north
You would be more than welcome. I will run the classes out of my shop in Vernon if I get enough folks. I will provide the coyotes but if you have one that you would like skinned that is in good shape bring it along.

killman
09-12-2010, 07:28 PM
You would be more than welcome. I will run the classes out of my shop in Vernon if I get enough folks. I will provide the coyotes but if you have one that you would like skinned that is in good shape bring it along.

you should make a trip up here. Lightmag will pay your way and we will all come:mrgreen:.

TESKELLY
09-12-2010, 07:57 PM
I'd love to learn how to do that as I would many other new to me things about hunting. Anyone in the lower mainland willing to do this?

Jonas111
09-12-2010, 08:31 PM

I feel the same way about leaving things I kill behind but I get over it pretty quick when I think of the animals the Coyotes kill that I like to eat. It makes it much easier to kill every one I see and leave them for the birds to dismantle.

Ruger4
09-12-2010, 08:41 PM

couldn't agree with you more Pete,
throwning them in the ditch ? nothing like chalking up another for the anti hunters to go on....

I'll take that class of yours , I like to case skin mine and tan but I could be much better at it , coyotes and bobcats offers some of the prettiest hides you'll ever see when done properly. Let me know when Pete. Thanx....

bmw_hockey
09-12-2010, 08:56 PM
count me in, im in the lowermainland also, what kind of cost???

Dannybuoy
09-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Just curious as to what you coyote hunters do with all your harvested dogs?? tanned coyote hides must get boring??
I dont shoot them anymore solely because I no longer harvest the hides , why not leave them for someone that isnt just killing for the sake of it . Unless you are protecting livestock etc when they pack up or those mangy curs in the LM
Pete has probably done more coyotes than most of us have even seen so anyone wanting to learn that skill , He's the guy ! The high mountain one's or up north do have really nice hides , I have a rug made from 4 sewed together .

born2hunt
09-12-2010, 09:10 PM
wack and stack.....in the ditch
nothing like feeding the frenzy of your local activist, we should all think about what we post on here, i personally really dont care what you do with your dogs but im sure there are people reading this forum that just thrive to read shit like "whack and stack .... in the ditch"-- it gives them fuel for thier attemps to try and limit the hunting we all enjoy so much.. we should give our posts little thought to what we say on here .. we as a group of ethical hunters on here need the general public to agree and accept us as that.

luckynuts
09-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Nice Yote,

Skin, flesh and stretch it. Find a local trapper to show you the ropes. A few years ago the hides fetched a good buck not sure what they are worth right now? Though if you want to keep it, send it away to be tanned, stretch and dry method only keeps for so long. Hunting yotes is a good cure for the winter blues and can be very challenging especially the educated ones:wink:

Though You should be using a little more of a fur friendly gun/bullet. 223 is a very good round. My 22-250 seems to leave them a mess no matter what kind of bullet I use.

For those that don't hunt them when the opportunity arises, tisk tisk. We manage all our ungulates we should be managing our preds too. One reason why we have an abundant wolf population right now.

W.

bear buster
09-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Skin em out and make head dresses and rugs for love making, it's really up to you.
LMAO, oh thats good:) so is that like doggy style?

seanps
09-12-2010, 11:15 PM
I feel the same way about leaving things I kill behind but I get over it pretty quick when I think of the animals the Coyotes kill that I like to eat. .

You really into a diet of mice, squirrels and insects?

Martin_Hunter
09-13-2010, 12:42 AM

I was reading a book on Mule deer hunting and the author encouraged hunters to shoot coyotes.The reason he had was that a coyote runs after a fawn or smaller mulies,and a a group of 6 coyotes or more are waiting for the mule deer to run towards them and the rest is obvious...they rip the deer apart.So,he was saying shooting more coyotes means more deer in the future.

One of my hunting buddies once told me that I can't just shoot a coyote and leave it there.The CO will question me the reason why I shot it.He said I should at least take its tail as a reason why I shot it.I don't know if it's true,but it make sense.

Jonas111
09-13-2010, 07:20 AM
You really into a diet of mice, squirrels and insects?

Thanks for the clarification. They also take the fawns as well and quite often. Maybe thats all they eat in your area. :???:

butcher
09-13-2010, 07:47 AM
I like to cook 'em (hair on of course) over a tire fire right in the field. The ribs are delicious.

nolan-sawka
09-13-2010, 09:40 PM
hahaha i knew someone would bitch about it, i actually take there tail maybe skull if there alright size but other then that i dont care seeing as they killed my dog and we have 100's of them in my back yard, the things are varmints and theres waaay to many of them

nothing like feeding the frenzy of your local activist, we should all think about what we post on here, i personally really dont care what you do with your dogs but im sure there are people reading this forum that just thrive to read shit like "whack and stack .... in the ditch"-- it gives them fuel for thier attemps to try and limit the hunting we all enjoy so much.. we should give our posts little thought to what we say on here .. we as a group of ethical hunters on here need the general public to agree and accept us as that.

Downwind
09-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Sometimes I shoot and sometimes I let them walk. They are a predator and will go after deer, grouse and other things that I like to go after too. They can be a great way to warm up to the season. Squeezing off a few rounds at paper is one thing but a living, moving animal is another. That being said, saw this guy at about 45 yards coming around the corner. Thought about dropping him but decided to watch him instead. We watched him come straight at us and walked right outside my window. Close enought to touch if I wanted to.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/up_close.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20392&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=11054)

Just remember when you are wondering why you aren't seeing a lot of deer or moose but lots of dogs there is a correlation.:/

bridger
09-13-2010, 11:02 PM
I give them to a local trapper that has been retired for a few years and likes to keep his hand in the game. look around and you might find someone similiar in your area.

seanps
09-14-2010, 12:21 AM
Just remember when you are wondering why you aren't seeing a lot of deer or moose but lots of dogs there is a correlation.:/No, there isn't. There is no scientifically proven correlation between the two. It's just conjecture.

Could be a lot of things. A bad winter, less available food, habitat destruction, competition with elk, etc.

I remember that after the attack in Nova Scotia, wildlife biologists stressed that coyote culling won't work to reduce the coyote population. The dogs will respond to predation and prey availability, having large or smaller litters to compensate. Kill a lot in one area, they'll just have more babies next year. If there are a lot of deer there will be fewer coyotes; if there are fewer deer, there will be fewer coyotes.

I know the going mentality seems to be, "If I kill the coyotes, I'll have more deer to hunt, because more fawns will live." But I've been looking, and I can't find much evidence to back that up.

A study called "Mortality and Movements of Mule Deer Fawns in Washington" published in the Journal of Wildlife Management tracked 39 mule deer fawns over a summer. About half that were being monitored died over the summer, most of those from coyotes (three drowned). In spite of this, they concluded "Intensive coyote removal on the study area probably would not substantially reduce total mortality in the fawn population."

link: http://www.jstor.org/pss/3807968 (abstract only/not full study)

Another, a Master's thesis from Utah, studied the effects of coyote removal on pronghorn and mule deer populations in Wyoming (where, like here, there are also cougars, grizzly, bobcat and wolves). They note that:

... many deer studies have not found predation to limit recruitment in mule deer and found other factors such as extreme winter and range condition to contribute more to lack of recruitment (Bartmann et al. 1992, Ballard et al. 2001, Ballard et al. 2003).Other studies he mentions found:

... coyote removal did not increase fawn or adult survival during winter and that coyote removal did not increase the population growth rate. However, coyote removal increased fawn survival under specific coyote-prey ratios and it had a positive, but weak, effect on fawn:doe ratios."Basically, they counted the number of coyotes in an area, and the number of fawns and adult deer. Then, they shot a large number of the coyotes. They counted the fawns the next year, and -- surprise! -- there were the same number.

In the end: "Coyote removal did not appear to increase mule deer fawn survival or density."

link: http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1494&context=etd

It appears that there's no denying that coyotes kill a large percentage of fawns (and very few adult deer), at least according to the scientific lit that's out there. But there's no evidence that more deer -- especially more fawns -- would survive if more coyotes are killed.

Why? It isn't stated. Maybe more fawns drown; they're killed by coyotes because they have birth defects, or are diseased; or they're killed by eagles and/or bears.

Here's another article, from Deer and Deer Hunting magazine.

link: http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/article/CoyoteKill/

" ... unless you live in the arid Southwest or the frigid North or Northeast, don’t think for a minute that you’re saving the deer herd by killing a few coyotes."

Coyotes aren’t the only furbearers that get a bad rap with whitetail hunters. The evil-predator argument has also been extended to include bobcats, mountain lions, timber wolves and even fishers. However, in all of these cases, predator control has been scientifically proven to be a nonfactor in helping save deer herds.

For example, in 1981, Quebec biologist D. Banville showed that intense predator control efforts failed to substantially reduce wolf and coyote predation on whitetailed deer in the province.

The same has been proven in the Northern forests, where researchers conducted studies in 1962, 1966, 1969, 1971 and 1972.

Research has also shown that deer predation by domestic dogs can be much worse than that caused by wolves or coyotes. In Michigan, for example, domestic dogs kill an estimated 5,000 deer annually.

As far as I can tell, besides people's wishful thinking, there's nothing to show that killing coyotes can make any difference in mule deer populations. The one thing that everyone involved can agree on, however, is that a bad winter can have a serious effect on deer numbers. Why this board isn't more concerned about climate change, which could realistically play havoc with wildlife populations, is beyond me.

Anyhow, if you think it's fun to shoot coyotes that's your own business. But I don't think you'll be helping the deer at all. If anyone can post some actual proof to the contrary, I'd love to see it.

Mr. Dean
09-14-2010, 12:33 AM
IIRC, yotes are classified as a fur bearing animal that must be utilized if harvested....

Downwind
09-14-2010, 07:35 AM
Not trying to start a pissing match but this came right from one of the studies you posted.

"Coyote density is positively correlated with predation intensity (Knowlton et al. 1999, Stoddart et al. 2001, Sacks and Neale 2007) and recent research indicates that increased predator densities in the northern Yellowstone ecosystem are likely tied to decreases in overall abundance and calf survival in elk (Barber-Meyer et al. 2008). It is possible that increased coyote densities due to decreased lethal control over the past
decades could contribute to increased predation rates on pronghorn and mule deer fawns"

And it would be interesting to see the full study of the first that you posted. 14 of 39 fawns died, 10 of which were by predation by coyotes. Now there could be many factors (sick already for example) but when more than 25% died and it was due to coyotes I have trouble seeing how decreased numbers of coyotes would not result in increased survival rates? The studies stated coyote population did not impact ADULT survival rate but looks like it does help FAWN survival rates (which eventually become adults). Just how I read the studies, like I said, not trying to start a pissing match.

Pete
09-14-2010, 07:52 AM
So what do Coyotes really eat? Cook county did a scat sampling within their urban area. Of the 1200 samples taken DNA indicated that the coyotes #1 prey source was mice followed by Deer. As has been documented at a recent Moose Conference in Victoria the number one source of all ungulate predation is Bears especially in June and July when the bears are running the thickets looking for fawns and calves.

digger dogger
09-14-2010, 07:57 AM
Coyotes have killed a couple of my geese, a number of chickens and 1 dog.
I try to kill the ones i have a clear shot at, usually there is such a huge exit hole they aren't worth a pinch of coon poo. They're winter coats are beutiful and soft.Some young guys I met in Alberta make good beer money from selling the capes to Hutterites.

Pete
09-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Coyotes have killed a couple of my geese, a number of chickens and 1 dog.
I try to kill the ones i have a clear shot at, usually there is such a huge exit hole they aren't worth a pinch of coon poo. They're winter coats are beutiful and soft.Some young guys I met in Alberta make good beer money from selling the capes to Hutterites.

If you are shooting coyotes there are going to be holes, dosen't matter what you use. Of course it stands to reason the the size of the firearm and the shot placement are a factor. Hitting a shoulder or high up on the back with a large caliber rifle will make a really big hole. Basically all it means it that you are going to spend more time stitching up the hide. Needle and thread are your friend.

Rodd
09-14-2010, 09:14 AM
A Coyote will eat everything and anything it can. They are smart, and can evade hunters easily. Like any animal balance in population is the key, to avoid high and low densitys of both deer and Coyotes. Predator Prey should be balanced to maintain healthy populations of any animal. We as hunters who only help with population control on ungulates are not doing our part to balance predator prey relationships. I shoot lots of coyotes, but not bears, and I feel like I should be out getting a few of those to do my part and balance the populations.... IMO

Stone Sheep Steve
09-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Caught this guy and three of his buddies hunting mulies.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2009_Ok_mtn_transplant_003.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12433&ppuser=1509)
Two were hot on the deers' trails while there was one higher and one lower flanking the deer.

They actively hunt deer especially when there's a good crust on the snow.

SSS

skibum
09-14-2010, 10:48 AM
That was a good post seanps. Not that I agree with everything, but I think it is hard for humans to read or try and understand something that is not of their same view.

Hell I even try and hold my vomit and read the Toronto Star once in a while

seanps
09-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Hell I even try and hold my vomit and read the Toronto Star once in a while

Ha! :)

________

seanps
09-14-2010, 05:39 PM
We as hunters who only help with population control on ungulates are not doing our part to balance predator prey relationships.

Interesting point. Hadn't thought of that. Wonder if coyote populations would do that on their own, anyway, by responding to a decrease in one of their food sources?

Not trying to start a pissing match

No, not at all. This is something I've had trouble wrapping my head around; nice to have a discussion.

LeverActionJunkie
09-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Interesting point. Hadn't thought of that. Wonder if coyote populations would do that on their own, anyway, by responding to a decrease in one of their food sources?

Trouble is that coyotes are like crows, or magpies, even whitetail deer, they thrive around humans and off of civilization. In areas where the majority of animals decrease in numbers, due to habitat loss/ division etc, coyotes will live on the fringes and inside towns. They are able to hunt and feed on their natural foods, like mice, deer, grouse, etc., they also survive on cats, calves, sheep, dogs, garbage, songbirds etc inside towns.

Coyotes, as furbearers, must be taken to your residence or a tanners. Well the hide anyways, after that you can do as you please.

hannibal
09-14-2010, 06:20 PM

I'd love an opportunity to learn how to do it right. You should have a class the weekend after thanksgiving....hint, hint

hannibal
10-04-2010, 06:48 AM
so what is the proper way to skin and treat a coyote hide?