PDA

View Full Version : hunting in the rain?

dougster
09-12-2010, 10:41 AM
I have heard from some people that hunting in the rain is no good because the deer are generally bedded down. Although common sense tells me that in the rain they would be denser and in closer bunches in the thicker brush making it better hunting. any ideas from you all as to whats better and if its worth heading out on a day trip in the rain???

hoochie
09-12-2010, 10:57 AM
My belief on hunting in the rain is that there are some advantages, namely the rain will help keep your scent down and the rain also creates noise that may allow you some forgiveness if you are a little noisey.

knighthunter
09-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Don't forget to take your umbrella. I would suggest in a camo pattern. Why would the deer be denser and in closer bunches? Do you think they get together and huddle together to keep warm and dry. I would suggest you try to find someone with at least a few years hunting expirence to take you under their wing or google mule/whitetail deer and read about their habits, what they eat, their likes, dislikes, read as much about them as you can find. Read the hunting stories on here and other forums. Learn the reg's. If I lived closer to you I'd consider taking you out for a day trip or two, depending on your attitude. I have taken out new hunter's b4 and a couple are real good hunter's now and a couple decided that hunting wasn't for them. The youngest was 14 and I still have the pic of him with his first buck.That was taken 15 years ago.Don't be afraid to ask for advice. Even tho I was funnin with you at the start of my reply.

Buckmeister
09-12-2010, 11:06 AM
I was out hunting the other morning when there was a very slight rain and I saw more deer that morning (early) then I have any other early morning recently. When I got my big muley a few years ago, it was morning and had just been raining, but he was chasing a doe.

I believe a heavy rain will keep the deer hold up under cover of tree canopy for the most part.

When there is a change of weather from nice to not so nice, dark with clouds and wind and a chance of rain, I like going out and I find that the deer tend to move around a bit so you have a chance to spot more deer than usual.

3kills
09-12-2010, 11:07 AM
i have heard that blacktail huntin is the best in the rain. i have been out huntin mulies in the rain with great success too. but i think just before the rain is the best. when a storm is movin in i find they are movin a lot more

Super Matt
09-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Has anyone herd the theory that when it's raining the deer tend to move out of the dense bush because the noise of the rain bugs them. As it hinders their hearing and they would rather be in the open where they can see whats coming?

chinook
09-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Not too sure about Mulies and Whities but yeah, hunting in the rain / snow / wind / sleet is where its at for Blacktails. The worse the weather, the better the hunting. My wife thinks Im crazy for it but whenever it rains Im up first thing and out the door to get soaked to the ass 'cause hunting is likely going to be good that day....In fact, I saw 5 bucks and 4 does this morning in the rain. Passed on the bucks though....none of 'em were September shooters!

Super Matt, I buy into that theory, but timber hunting BT's in the rain is also fruitful for the same reasons.

swampthing
09-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Bucks move in bad weather, most hunters dont. Remember that and you will be more successful. I thought at one time that everybody already knew that, but I still see many hunters thinking the opposite. Rain works against their senses and gives you an advantage. Hunting in the rain is mentally tougher as we , as humans usually seek refuge from it. I look forward to rain when deer hunting. Its a bitch when backpacking, but OK when you have a warm place to dry off at days end. I took my biggest buck on a rainy morning. I still hunted right into a group of bucks, several of which were 4 points and one of which was a very good buck. I use browning drylight raingear. It is affordable and works OK.

BCrams
09-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Rain is probably one of the best times to be out hunting for elk, moose, deer. There are few to no hunters out there moving / hunting around. The biggest bull elk we ever called in around PG was in a pissing downpour so bad that we had started to hike out and go home after 30 minutes of calling and were busted by a bull coming in quiet that looked all in the world like he came from a national park .... I had time to shoot him, but I wanted Dad to shoot and by the time he could get a bearing on the bull moving through the regen, he couldn't get a shot.

Its just plain miserable, wet and cold.

Like today for instance. This evening is a good time to go poke around for elk / moose.

johnes50
09-12-2010, 02:46 PM
The most Blacktail deer I've ever seen hunting was in a storm with the rain blowing sideways. It was dark and we could hardly see the road and the deer were just running across the road everywhere.

ruger#1
09-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Went hunting this morning in the rain, Seen two blacktails and was 60 yards from a huge black bear that didn't even know I was there. Was a good wet morning with fog.

Bow Walker
09-12-2010, 03:05 PM
I've always found that blacktails like to move to the edges of the timber when it rains - I don't mean just a sprinkle, but real rain. At the edges or about 20 yards in.

Less noise for them to contend with, has been my belief. Sight, sound, smell are all better (for them) at the edges.

Camp Cook
09-12-2010, 03:11 PM
I prefer to hunt in the rain...

Grouser
09-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Two of my best 4 point Mulie bucks were taken after a half day slugging it out in socked in drizzle conditions. From my limited observations the deer seem to accept the disadvantage it brings to their predator detection senses for travel or to approach feeding areas. I like my full length camo rain poncho and 3 mil waders.I would not hesitate to get wet for a chance at a trophy

Cheers

Steelpulse
09-12-2010, 03:15 PM
If the forecast is for rain I will 100% of the time head out the wet ground allows you to walk around in silence compared to when its dry out and the ground is like walking on cornflakes everywhere you go. Also If your not out there you can't shoot anything and theres only so many days a year to go hunting so get out there rain or shine the animals are always there.

NoLimit99
09-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Ok well i've hunted alot in the rain and to be honest i've noticed that when it's raining they bed down. For instance, example is in my previous post I have a pic to show the proof is in the pudding check out the third pic that was when it was raining. The second pic is when rain total stoped after a half hour, and yes I stayed to pay attention to there habbits. And the first pic is hours after when they resumed what they were doing "eating".

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=55334

Again this is my experiences so far and to each is own. Hope this helps some people out.

Big Lew
09-12-2010, 03:37 PM
I totally agree with the above responses, hunting in the rain has many advantages for the hunter, including stealth and spotting more deer. The only real disavantage is for bow hunters if it is heavily raining. It's the only time I won't shoot for worry of not being able to follow a blood trail before it's washed away.

Chuck
09-12-2010, 03:45 PM
A light rain, or just after a heavier pour down is a good time to be hunting and is only a problem for the hunter as a comfort factor.

Muleycatcher
09-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Was out today near Merritt trudging around for 4 hours in the rain and all I saw was a big black bear sitting in the treeline. Didn't see anything else.

But most times I head out in the rain I usually end up seeing quite a bit of game.

Wrayzer
09-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Didn't see anything move this morning in the rain, but once it stopped around 10am they finally came out of the thicket, going back out and its raining harder this evening, I'll let you guys know if the hunting in the rain theory stands true.

tomahawk
09-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Deer are born and raised in the outdoors no matter where or what the climate is like. They don't know what its like to be under cover or near a heat source. Rain, snow, sleet, sun, cloud or whatever are what they grow up being in everyday they are alive. They have a need for water, food and security when not rutting. When they are hungry they will eat regardless of time of day, weather conditions or any other elements of nature. Get out and hunt, the only draw back to rain is human generated.

shed-hunter1
09-14-2010, 10:29 PM
i shot a 5x4 mulie that scored 154 typical in a rain storm he was out in the open