PDA

View Full Version : My opening weekend....success and a bit of heartbreak...

Cyrus
09-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Well here it goes....a bit long...I placed a trail cam in my secret area I hunt last weekend (sunday) to see what was around and to see how my new cam worked....I woke up Friday with the worst sore throat and head cold ever....I don't think I even slept 2 hrs....what a way to start. I made my way back to the area for opening day of gun season for mulies. I drove into the area at daylight and observed 3 does off the get go.....I parked my truck and started to hike into a large draw where I had prior success. Within 5 minutes saw 3 bucks....one took off right away only showing me a back tine.....the others, a 3 and a 2 point....velvet gone, both small. They stood and stared at me, the 3 point actually was stomping his hoof on the ground...trying to act tough! I thought an attitude like that will get you in a freezer come Oct. 1!! Anyway I hunted most of the morning and mid afternoon but never saw anything, got a little too warm and I felt like crap so I headed back to my trail cam to get my sd card. I noticed it had taken 9 pics/videos and was a little disappointed it was not more.

I made my way home and plugged the card in. The photos were garbage but the video turned out alright...some night pics did not work. I had a few more but they take forever to upload...

http://s909.photobucket.com/albums/ac293/cyrus747/?action=view&current=MDGC0004.mp4

http://s909.photobucket.com/albums/ac293/cyrus747/?action=view&current=MDGC0002.mp4

I showed my dad the videos and he seemed eager to go after seeing some bucks!! My dad likes hunting but has had some bad unlucky years where he never saw anything....so he lost a bit of interest until the last couple of years. We made our way back into the area and was met with a huge rainstorm. I was so sick I said the hell with it lets just drive.....Within about 5 minutes I observed a 3 point on a hillside in full velvet. He quickly tunred and took off into the sticks...pretty sure he was was not a 4 on the other side by the size of his rack.....We turned onto another road and observed a very big 3 point eating leaves out of a tree. I was convinced by the size he had to be a 4. He had no care in the world we were there but we only counted the 3 plus that confusing secondary brow tine....being legal beagles we let it walk.....no matter how long we stared he would not grow another point....We made our way around the area again running into 3 and 2 points....but no does which was a 1st for me. We drove back to the area where we had seen the 3 point (to see if it had grown a 4th point while we were gone) I noticed a small 2 point in an open area....I blew game calls at it and was yelling at him but of course he would not move....I then looked further down the draw and saw 2 large bodied deer. I put up my pos bushnell binos and observed 2 good sized racks. Luckily the road went right to the deer who were at that point about 800 yards away. I could see 3 points on both but could not make a 4th. We decided to drive towards them as they showed no signs of being spooked...one actually layed down...

We got within 250 yards. We were convinced the buck standing was only a 3 point so we focused on the one laying down which was very grey in the face and quite a bit larger than the other..After looking for about 5 minutes we saw that it was just a 3 point. We then gave the other a look....that frigging back tine was hard to see but after another 5 minutes we both observed a 4th point on the one side....trust me we looked a 100 times to be sure!!

I told my dad if he was sure it was a 4 point to let him have it. Well there was no answer other than a boom...the buck buckled and tried to get to the tree line where it spun around and fell down...the other buck rose and walked to his fallen buddy...We got within about 20 yards of the 2nd buck before he finally took off. Anyway, my dads biggest buck in his 58 years...a nice 4X3 that weighed 127 lbs at the meat locker. While we were gutting him another buck walked out of the sticks and watched us til we left...too dark to see what he was. We got it home and skinned him out. I cleaned my stuff, had a shower, 2 nyquil for dinner and off to bed. Oh, 9 bucks total this night!

I got in the area at the same time and quickly noticed a group of deer in an opening near the bush line. I noticed antlers on 2 but it was too dark to see them. I decided to wait as one looked fairly large. As daylight approached I observed that the bucks were shedding their velvet which made them look bigger than they were...another 3 point and 2 point...bunch of does...continued on and parked. Hiked for about 3 hours running into a bunch of does and fawns and smaller bucks. I then made my way into a nice logged out area where I had previously shot deer. I was actually getting a little tired and was dragging my head a bit from my head cold. I glanced up and saw a large buck standing straight at me, very thick tines were noticed. I put my gun up and observed 3 big points on one side....the other of course I could not make out that back tine!! He turned his head to walk in the bush and there it was a 4th point....I walked up to where he walked into the bush....I heard something crack behind me and noticed 2 large bucks walking into some thick willow bushes and a bunch of does of course just standing there on the opposite side of the initial buck. I saw them walk through a row of trees into another block. I flanked them from the other side and cut them off. I was sure hoping that one of the bucks was the guy I had just seen but I had no idea how he would of crossed in front of me without me seeing???

I observed the deer standing on the the edge of the timber pointing towards the open area. they knew I was there but they seemed fairly determined to cross in front of me. I set out my bipod and kneeled down. I observed 3 points on the 1st deer, good size antlers but no go for a shot...the 2nd buck refused to show his head...so after about of a 5 minute standoff he finally walked out....a 4X3 almost identical to the one my dad shot....I had a perfect neck shot and was rock steady but I thought about it and decided to pass on it (something I never do unless its a 2 point or spike) they both took off....after a few more hours I saw another 3X2 and a small spike with a bunch of does. I headed back to help my dad with his deer to get to the meat locker. 8 bucks total this morning....

So tonight I headed back with my dad....head cold really getting to me.....we got in around 3pm a bit early and warm....Anyway never saw a thing until around 6 where we saw a 2 point which had a broken 2nd beam and a spike together....probably get picked on all the time by the other bucks...It started to get dusk and after trying to walk the bush line to push some game out to no avail we headed back into the draw where I had seen the 4X3 in the morning. When we drove in I saw a bunch of deer about 800 yards ahead near the bush line. I picked my soon to be disposed bushnells and took a glance......my jaw dropped when I saw probably one of the biggest bucks I had ever seen...alive or dead...Okay count the points......damn head would stop moving and I could not tell what the hell he was...i made the call to walk towards the buck hoping he would just go to the tree line and stop where I could hopefully count them points....however he kept increasing his distance from me.....by the time I finally saw he was a big 4 with huge brow tines i might add he walked over a bit of a hump and disappeared...I crept over the hill and observed 4 small bucks grouped together at the tree line....I didn't really bother to look at them as I knew I wanted the other guy. However he walked into the thickest bush imagineable and disappeared into by then was failing light....big adrenaline rush to a big let down in a matter of seconds....I really don't know what i could of done differently...obviously if it was any buck season I would have had a shot, (after I had closed the distance a bit) although a little challenging. He was pretty spooked from the get go...guess thats why he has lived as long as he has....Anyway my bushnells cheapies suck a$$ and I will be looking for a new pair to help me count those tines a little quicker next time.....although those big guys don't come around often....9 bucks again tonight....Went home a little pissy but was glad my dad connected on day one!

Pretty good opening weekend....felt a little sick to my stomach after the big let down of seeing that big rack casually walk away from me...Only good thing is theres lots of season left!!!

http://s909.photobucket.com/albums/ac293/cyrus747/?action=view&current=deerpic1.jpg

never mind the shirt....that why i blacked out his face...for fear of reprisal...

lostindian
09-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Congrats to your dad on a nice buck ! hope you get better soon !

islander7mm
09-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Awesome story. There's lots of season left to go back for that guy.

BimmerBob
09-12-2010, 05:17 AM
Great vids and story Cyrus, thanks for sharing and best of luck in finding your "shooter" this year. Hope you are feeling better soon...

The Hermit
09-12-2010, 06:14 AM
Wow sounds like a terrific area!! Be well!

BigfishCanada
09-12-2010, 07:06 AM
wow awesome!

Thanks for sharing

demlake
09-12-2010, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the story and the pics.

Good to see dad get one after all that time.

dl

d6dan
09-12-2010, 07:42 AM
Good story Cyrus. Congrats to your Dad on his buck.