PDA

View Full Version : opening day quickie

buckwild76
09-11-2010, 09:15 PM
As I am going to have very minimal time to actually hunt this year, (Had to cancel 3 weeks worth of trips due to a new job) I decided to go out in the LM to see if I could slay a blacktail yesterday, nice and close to home. My youngest daughter has been very interested and wanted to come along. Cool. We spied a nice doe about 375yds. across a ravine on the hillside in one of my favourite slashes and about 10yds away was a tasty looking little 2pt buck, relaxing in the evening cool. My daughter was quite excited and encouraged me to take him, her enthusiasm combined with my limited time frame convinced me to do so. I stroked him once, he did a little dance and went to sleep. All is well until my daughter realizes that we now have one hour before darkness sets in, and we have an animal to retrieve. She made it abundantly clear to me that she was not setting foot down the valley at this time of day and I understand her 10 yr old point of view. I had to run back to town, drop her off at my moms and pick up my brother to help out. By now it is pitch black and we have a pretty decent hike into the bush up a very formidable hill. A fair bit of swearing and a lot of sweating later we got Mr. blacktail down and dressed in the back of my truck on the way home.
I don't know if any of you have experienced this while hunting with your children. I understand my daughters view of being in the bush when it starts to get a little dark, she was completely fine with the actual killing of the animal and explained to her that the retrieval is all part of the package. I am just glad that i got to experience that with one of my children (my teenage daughter has no interest in hunting) and i feel it was something my 10 yr old won't soon forget. All in all the best opening day I have ever had. Good luck to you all in the rest of the season!! BTW no pics cuz I had no camera at the time.

shadowhunter
09-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Congrats on the blacktail and good for you on taking your daughter out.
She will grow out of the whole "scared of the dark" thing you just have to slowly ease her into. Would love to see some pics of the deer!

shadowhunter

GRIZZEZE
09-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Just having her with you in the bush is a good start. She will get over any fears that she has, it just takes more time in the bush. Next time she may be able to wait in the truck while you cart, drag, or pack out your game. One day hopfully she asks if she can shoot one. Congrats on the blacktail, I have not had a chance to get out yet this year, but hope to tag one this year.

Kid Hunter
09-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Great story and congratulations on getting a deer and getting the daughter involved!! Too bad no pictures. I always love to see pictures!!

bandit
09-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Glad your quickie was more productive than mine - had seen bear all summer long but they werent there on Friday! Managed one grouse and a flat tire. Theres always next time!

ElectricDyck
09-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Congrats on the deer. My 5 year old is the same way about the unknown, he's the cautious one of the 2 boys, he takes a little longer to warm up to things.

nano
09-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Congrats on the blacktail!