PDA

View Full Version : Big Game fishing in New Zealand?

MB_Boy
09-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Not sure if anyone has been or can shed some light but I have a friend going down for the Rugby World Cup next October and is curious about heading out on a big game fishing charter.

They have researched and found some good boats and good looking companies, but not sure if it is worth it to try in October? I have seen that there are "day charters" or you can go "live aboard" for a few days and venture WAY out.

Anyone have any ideas or experiences?

Thanks in advance!

WKCotts
09-11-2010, 09:16 PM
What part of NZ is he headed to? I was there is April 09, did a 5 night marlin trip off the north tip of NZ. Trip was amazing! Caught around 10 marlin, and tons of other fish. I think we caught 26 different species and plenty of each! Ill try to get some pics together for ya.

Salty
09-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Some of the best trout fishing in the world there too. ..

MB_Boy
09-14-2010, 01:55 PM
What part of NZ is he headed to? I was there is April 09, did a 5 night marlin trip off the north tip of NZ. Trip was amazing! Caught around 10 marlin, and tons of other fish. I think we caught 26 different species and plenty of each! Ill try to get some pics together for ya.

Hey WestKoots.....they are headed to Auckland. I have no idea how the seasons effect the bill/big game fishing down there at all. :confused:

WKCotts
09-14-2010, 05:21 PM
That is where we were. Actually drove a few hours north of Auckland and grabbed the charter. Charter was called Cascade Charters (boat was the Oracle) out of Mangonui (north tip of nz).

Couple pics from the trip are located here http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=491201#post491201

MB_Boy
09-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Wow....nice pics. I missed those the first time around I think!! :cool:

Would you recommend the company again?