PDA

View Full Version : Female Lab names?

Rob
09-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Well time to start looking, just wondering what you have for good names for a female lab. Rob

newhunterette
09-10-2010, 07:51 PM
It's really hard to pick a name without seeing the pup, ya sort of have to get a feel for their personality, temperment etc. I know if she comes from a breeder who has registered name of kennel and parental lines of the pup, that also comes into a factor at times for the name.

We chose our lab's name because we wanted a hunting dog. When I first saw her she was the only black one and she was all alone, her siblings didn't waddle around her and she had to hunt and root for Mom in order to be fed. She got named Hunter at that moment. (There is another reason to her name but I don't want to embarass the breeder we got her from :))

Some people choose names for their favourite hunting area, fising lake, river for instant friends of ours loved Weaver Lake so their black lab is named Weaver.

Try and pick something unique for her, Ebony is quite common for black labs but it is a fitting name as well.

Another way to name is looking up words in foreign languages that have a unique quality or sound to them.

Usually first look at the pup of your choice, a name will jump out at ya.

names with something in regards to black:
Leila (means dark as night)
Fia (gaelic for dark)
Jet
Velvet
Pepper

Kona
Amore (Love)
Aurora (Goddess of Light)
Bella
Scout
Mia
Tawny
Tikka
Willow

I found this little tidbit of information:

1. Stay away from potentially embarrassing names. The name “Stinky” might be cute at first, but as the joke gets old, how will you feel in a year or so when you have to call “Stinky” home at night? Also, how do you think young children might treat a dog with this name?
2. Does the dog name rhyme with something negative? Or maybe with the name of a family member or friend? Once discovered, kids might jump all over this and treat your dog differently, causing you to be one of those 1 in 5 people who want to change their dogs name!
3. Be mindful that your dog might outgrow it’s name. The name Buttercup might be appropriate for a cute puppy, but not when it becomes a full grown Great Dane!
4. Keep it to one or two syllables. Dogs not only learn it quicker, but it makes them easier to train as well.
5. Pick a name that matches your dogs appearance or personality. The name Electra might be a good name for an energetic pooch, but not for one that like’s to sleep all day.
6. Avoid names that sound like common commands such as Go, Stay, Sit, etc. This might cause confusion for your puppy when trying to train it.
7. Watch out for trendy names that might cause embarrassment once the trend is passed. Do you want people to realize from your dog’s name that you were once a big fan of Disco?
8. Beware of the common trend to name dogs after people. Though doing so is not a bad thing in itself, if you name your pup after a friend or family member, they might take offense. How will your human friend Sam like it when he hears…“Get off the couch Sam!” or worse…“I took Sam to get fixed the other day”…
9. Ask your dog what he thinks! Since it’s going to be his name, you might want to narrow your search down to your own 5 favorite names, then try them out on your dog. You’d be surprised how well he responds to some, yet yawns at others.
10. If you’ve adopted an older dog, it’s best to keep it’s current name so that it doesn’t become confused. If for some reason you must change it, consider a name that sounds similar or rhymes.

Although giving your dog a good name is important, what your dog really craves is the love and attention that comes from a good owner…..like you!

Hope this helps a little to give you some food for thought :)

hoochie
09-10-2010, 08:22 PM
our dogs arent labs, but they have always been female. we give them human names. My female rottie is named Kayla

thetackdriver
09-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Ruger is a bad a$$ dog name

lilhoss
09-10-2010, 09:40 PM
My younger chocolate was always into "stuff".chewed my expensive cowboys boots,hats,dryer hose,etc.Everytime we came home we'd say "ah shit!"So we put a reverse spin on it and called her "Tisha".Great dog for all of her 14 yrs.Her mother was a gentle soul too.Sarah was her name.

henderson
09-10-2010, 09:40 PM
We have a female yellow lab named Chevy. It suites her. She's as big as a truck.

Kasomor
09-10-2010, 09:48 PM
I never give my dogs human names and I didn't name my kids dog names either. :mrgreen:
"Tikka's" name was picked out two years before she was born. "Trio" is my third kid from a litter of three.

Got to say......think it's Deb who has a male black lab named "Sue"....registered name is "Marlan's (sp?) Man In Black"

That my friends is an awesome registered name and call name. Wish I had that knack :)

Rob
09-10-2010, 09:48 PM
I guess sometimes dogs just fall into their names:-D

Kasomor
09-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Black Lab Female

"Raven"

If she is a party girl you can shorten it to "Rave" :-D

bearhunter338-06
09-10-2010, 10:53 PM
I called my girl Tikka

coach
09-10-2010, 10:57 PM
I've named my new hunting partner, Chilko. My kids have nick-named her, "Chilli".

KB90
09-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Cabela, bella for short.

martyonthewater
09-10-2010, 11:17 PM
black or yellow lab? If black, raven is cool, lotus is a favorite too. If yellow, Miele could be good (french for honey).

polaris rider
09-10-2010, 11:46 PM
My little choclate's registered name is "Excels Tobiana Tootsie Roll".... Toby for short

My blacks name is "Jesse Dawg loves Frankie"...Jesse for short

don't ask me why, it just sounded right at the time we named them...:-D:-D:-D

Gord

Casagrande
09-11-2010, 06:50 AM
Oprah :mrgreen:

Squamch
09-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Oprah :mrgreen:

I get it!
One of my buddies has a pitbull, that he got during discussions of a breed ban, named phelany. Pretty sure the weird spelling is due to a low literacy level in the city clerk when he registered her, as it's pronounced felony.

bearhunter338-06
09-11-2010, 09:54 AM
I named my first female chocolate Jake.

"Now I lay me down to sleep, if I die before I wake feed Jake"

bulldog
09-11-2010, 11:38 AM
I remember when I first got my English Mastif and could not think of a name for him, then 4 days later i was just looking at him and thought...He looks like a Jake! I have no idea why I picked Jake but the name suited him so he became Jake. Your right...sometimes they just fall into there names. RIP Abbey..she was a great dog Rob and you were a great family to her we are all going to miss her. Good luck with the new lab, Rudy is going to be happy with a new Hunting friend.Bulldog

shawnwells
09-11-2010, 06:42 PM
" Dave " that'd really be unique...

wetcoastwillie
09-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Asker

What's your dog's name.... Asker

351BII
09-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Named my new yellow lab "daisy".Well all the kid son the street come up with it. it suits her

270WIN
09-11-2010, 08:52 PM
If I ever get a lab winnie for a girl rugar for a boy

Dorikaze
09-11-2010, 09:02 PM
When I went to see my yellow monster the first time, she was licking a can of Lucky

garyp
09-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Over the years we have used the Cosmic theme for our various pointers and lap dogs.

Chara - is the dog star
Casey - short for Cassiopeia
Gem - short for Gemini
Milly - short for Milky Way
Star
Auri - short for aurora borealis
Laika - first dog in space

Lots'oLabs
09-15-2010, 09:58 PM
I never give my dogs human names and I didn't name my kids dog names either. :mrgreen:
"Tikka's" name was picked out two years before she was born. "Trio" is my third kid from a litter of three.

Got to say......think it's Deb who has a male black lab named "Sue"....registered name is "Marlan's (sp?) Man In Black"

That my friends is an awesome registered name and call name. Wish I had that knack :)
Hey thanks!!
I wish I could take credit for Sue's name but he came to me with it. Yes, he is Maralan's Man in Black (like Johnny Cash) and his call name is Sue (he's a boy named Sue :-D )
What makes is so funny is his funny personality and the fact that he is a big 100 lb.boy. Sue and I are up in Merritt right now doing some pre-National training for the National Retriever Championships. (wish us luck!)

I also have an older retired black girl whose name is Raven. Love that name.

Another one of our boys is "Maralan's Kids Wanna Rock" call name Rocky.
(We like Brian Adams music) Rocky is here training for the National also.

I like music themes.

Good luck with your name choice!

Cheers everyone from beautiful Merritt BC!

Lots'oLabs
09-15-2010, 10:00 PM
how about Deefer.
d fer dog :)

MB_Boy
09-16-2010, 07:59 AM
A buddy of mine had a pretty good one for his lab....

Her "registered" name was Roberta......but he called her Bobby.....however IF (and when) she was in trouble she would be called Roberta again. Kinda like a parent who calls you by your "shortened" name unless you were in 'doo-doo'.

It was pretty funny.....we'd be out in the marsh and after a bird was down and I couldn't actually see where he and Bobby were, I could just hear a stern "Roberta!!!" knowing that she was likely dicking around on the retrieve. :-D

srupp
09-16-2010, 11:15 AM
For our last purebred black lab I had bought Susan a BLACK TAHITIAN PEARL on a necklace while we were on holidays in Hawaii last February..

So we had our new black labs name..EXCELLS KENNELLS' BLACK TAHITIAN PEARL..and her daily name is EBONY...

cheers
Steven

robertmcallan
09-16-2010, 06:16 PM
my first dog was Tia nice and easy to say she was a yellow lab and my new dog a black lab i named her lucky (after the beer i drink but who's counting) i think something easy to say and something the represents yourself is a good place to start i have friends they are mechanic's they named their dogs axle and diesel

Rob
09-16-2010, 10:12 PM
I named her Jessie (Jes). Just cause I like how it sounds. Rob

The Hermit
09-16-2010, 10:20 PM
I named her Jessie (Jes). Just like how it sounds.Rob

After GoatGuy??

Rob
09-16-2010, 11:59 PM
No not after Goatguy:???:(no offence goatguy). I liked the name Jasper as well, but stood alone on that one.

Elk Lake Trapper
09-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Named mine Juno. Kinda suits her. I think that's the trick. Two syllables that fit the dog.

pappy
10-03-2010, 11:49 AM
two and a half year old chocolate named Sako.