PDA

View Full Version : Info--Garmin 550

.330 Dakota
09-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Has anyone here used/purchased the new Garmin 550 with the topo card or BC backroad mapbook option yet?
If so please report on the GOOD, the BAD, and the UGLY things regarding the use of this unit

.330 Dakota
09-12-2010, 07:37 AM
Come on guys, somebody's gotta have one and an opinion or 2...Thanks in advance

bearbait
09-16-2010, 10:27 AM
I just picked one three weeks ago. The last one was a legend Cx, so it was a step way up.
I'm very impressed in its reception, could even track from the bottom truck deck of the ferry. I'm using topo canada and birdseye imanging on it wich works very well also. The camera is handy but don't expect very good pictures zoomed in. The picture you take with it is also placed on the units map as a way point. It does take good panaramic pictures though and is waterproof. Used it for one week in the east koots around some big mountains and had no problems and no problems under the Vancouver island rain forest canopy. If I was going to buy again I'd might pick up the 450 and a small camera to go with it but I was thinking of space in the pack. All in all its a great unit. Some people have had problems with software but not me as of yet.

Hope this helps.
Dan.

Laurence_Erickson
09-16-2010, 10:30 AM
I have one and am too old and stup[id to figure it out.lol
one day I hope to use it .:)

.330 Dakota
09-16-2010, 04:49 PM
I just picked one three weeks ago. The last one was a legend Cx, so it was a step way up.
I'm very impressed in its reception, could even track from the bottom truck deck of the ferry. I'm using topo canada and birdseye imanging on it wich works very well also. The camera is handy but don't expect very good pictures zoomed in. The picture you take with it is also placed on the units map as a way point. It does take good panaramic pictures though and is waterproof. Used it for one week in the east koots around some big mountains and had no problems and no problems under the Vancouver island rain forest canopy. If I was going to buy again I'd might pick up the 450 and a small camera to go with it but I was thinking of space in the pack. All in all its a great unit. Some people have had problems with software but not me as of yet.

Hope this helps.
Dan.

Thanks Dan, that does help....Brad

newhunterette
09-21-2010, 05:07 PM
I just picked up the garmin Oregon 450t for Peter - I wanted the 550t but Wholesale sports says they wont be carrying the 550 model (go figure)

He used to have Lowrance iFinder Hunt unit but complained it was too heavy when heading for sheep hunting

When my cash flow builds up again, I am hoping to get the 550t for me as I like the fact it has a camera to snap a pic with gps coordinates on the photo.

comparison of the 2

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=145&compare=compare&compareProduct=26876&compareProduct=63350