PDA

View Full Version : goose calls

primmer
09-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Thinking of getting a new goose call just wondering what you guys think as to which one is the best.

lorneparker1
09-09-2010, 07:42 PM
short reed or flute? do you have experience blowing a call? how much money are you willing to spend? all of these play into the answer. But really the true answer is try as many different ones as you can till you find something that fits. If you are a beginner, i would recommend buying a $50 call short reed, and buying a couple of videos. Scott therien "bad grammer" and shawn stahl's "honker talk" are a good place to start. A good goose caller can make a $10 call sing, Maybe not as well as a $100 one but still well enough to put geese on thier backs. I would highly recommend getting good, then thinking you can buy a $150 gose call and it will make you good. The arrow is only as good as the indian as they say...

I think of it similar to the guy that spends thousands on golf clubs hoping to get better when he should hae put that money into lessons.

I blow an acrylic Saunders traffic, and a hedge acrylic saunders traffic, and would never blow anything else ever. But thats because it fits me best. Can get really high loud and is very fast, yet still hasa dirrrrrrty bottom end.

Lorne

primmer
09-09-2010, 08:50 PM
good stuff been for a while using a buck gardner flute for a while but looking to upgrade

Crazy_Farmer
09-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Short reeds are definitely the way to go, you can make alot more different sounds out of one then a flute but can take some getting used too. But those videos listed will help too.

lorneparker1
09-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Some really good mid range $$$ calls are Winglock, Gk calls Giant slayer ( i actually still own one of these and will flat out kill geese), Foiles Straightmeat in poly. All of these calls are in the $40 - $75 range and are really easy to blow ( break over with very little back pressure). Perfect for a guy just learning on a short reed and have put tens of thousands of geese to their bed all over the continent. They all have websites.

Qwa-honn
09-10-2010, 06:32 AM
Yeah I would stick with a mid range call. You can get by with a cheapo but if you got the funds go a little more. Is there a need to go high end... not really with the calls on the market today. We all want the ferrari but do we need it?