PDA

View Full Version : Best Lures for Lake Trout??

scope-bite
09-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Just wondering what you northern guys like to use to catch Lake Trout? The lake I'm fishing is in northern BC and is pretty shallow as far as lake trout water goes. Any tips???

IronNoggin
09-09-2010, 01:51 PM
It will depend entirely upon what the feeder base is. If you can answer that, I can likely provide a pointer or two...

Cheers,
Nog

scope-bite
09-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Good question. I would guess they are a whitefish species (pygmy, round or mountain) but I never was able to I.D them last time. Could also be lake chub I suppose? The lake has some current going through it and is glacial-fed..also in the Liard drainage.

KodiakHntr
09-09-2010, 03:22 PM
You could be surprised at what they are eating.....The ones I caught this spring in the Liard drainage were eating tiny snails in the lake on the bottom.....Really tiny snails.

BimmerBob
09-09-2010, 03:23 PM
It has been years since I have done any lake fishing but we used to catch a lot of fish on a lure called Canadian Wiggler and the Crocadile. If the lakes are deeper a gang troll with a wormed hook or a Wedding Ring and lots of times various fly patterns.

Goliath
09-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Lakers are very easy to catch in the spring & fall. Summer time they can be a little tricky and is a different ball of wax.

They are the trout family version of northern pike.

Seriously, any spoon or plug will do the trick in the spring/fall. They are voracious feeders. Pigs really.

In my experience, bigger is better...and yes, 5" or 6" lures will catch 2 lbers and 30 lbers.

Colors? Doesn't matter. More important that the laker can SEE your lure...therefore, shiny is typically better.

warnniklz
09-09-2010, 04:03 PM
troll brad's cut plugs by superbait. just replace the little piece of foam with a piece of baitfish cut to the same shape and size as the foam. I used them this past summer and they worked quite well... I seemed to have the best luck with a blue hawaiian.

IronNoggin
09-09-2010, 04:11 PM
I would try the following (in no particular order):
- 4, 5 and 6 inch plugs in a a pattern that resembles the bait;
- Wonder and / or Coyote spoons. Cop Car. 4 & 5";
- Streamers (like we use for bucktailing coho on the coast) with a blue-green back and polar bear hair belly.
- Smelts, rig, toss on the floor, and wait.

Have used all of these with good success. Should work in almost all situations... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

scope-bite
09-10-2010, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be upgrading my lake trout arsenal this weekend!

sobirch
09-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Gibbs stewart #5 (half brass/half silver)
large green and silver apex
red eyed wiggler

Drillbit
09-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Black & Silver Apex

Sitkaspruce
09-10-2010, 08:56 PM
These are what has worked for me form Northern Manitoba to Northern BC

4.5 inch Chrome Canadian Wiggler
5 and 6" Pearl Apex, the thin type
5" 232 Tomic plug
and a good old 5" Len Thompson Red and White spoon.

If you fish them in deeper water, jig the spoon
Or a 2oz White Bucktail Jig baited with some Power crap...

Cheers

SS

VicP
09-10-2010, 09:01 PM
At the end of the day if nothing else works, Gods gift is a Worm and a float..... Back to basics 101..... Beer helps......

pro 111
09-24-2010, 08:12 AM
I live in the Queen Charlottes . I use a green hotspot flasher with an anchovie on a 72 inch leader. Same rig as used for springs . Works awesome , not that sporting but you get some monster cutties like this. Seem to have the best luck around 17 ft.

TroutFry
09-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Apex lures in silver, green/silver, black/purple, and silver/pink tend to work well. Coyote Spoons are a safe bet as well. large Kwikfish/Flatfish work well in the frog pattern, black/silver speckles, and skunk stripe.

also, check out the Baitrix Trout lures. their very similar to the herring teaser heads used by salmon fishermen. i've been told by avid lake trout fisherman that these things are deadly.

as was said, bigger is better. the smaller fish will hammer the big lures. big fish need the big mouthful to sate their big appetite.