PDA

View Full Version : first trip..a GO...

srupp
09-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Well after being off work for 5 1/2 months..and having the WCB monitor my postings from this site and the fishing site to see why and how I can fish and go quadding for 1 day..I am back to work..for a couple weeks now..still fighting the #$%^##%^#* for knee surgery..:evil:

However I DID give my word to Tim and Rollie and Todd to go north for a hunt..so I am keeping my word..:confused:

We are headed to Whitehorse Yukon to overnight..and then drive into 6-28 for a couple weeks or so..:wink:..we will drive into "---------" lake and set up camp..we are taking a 12 foot aluminum and a Achilles zodiac inflatable...our main camp will be a wall tent..have a new cabelas cot and pad enrout from Winnipeg so main camp wont be too uncomfortable..

From "------------" lake we can glass for goats and DALL sheep and call moose.. picked up a box of tampons to hang strategically at the edge of the lake to be soaked in Moose in heat urine...

The day after we have camp set up the 4th member will arrive with our plane..on floats..so we can run and gun...ensuring we repect the no hunting the same day as flying restrictions..

We have 3 LEH tags for Dall sheep...we have 3 LEH tags for goats...we have 1 LEH tag for grizzly..and we have 4 tags for moose..open season and the rut in progress..

We have 4 seperate tents with seperate sleeping gear to set up on 2 other lakes..so we dont need to set up and take down spike camps..especially in the rain and snow...

The lake we have the wall tent /main camp boats on is a great one for moose??? and the opportunity for goats and dalls...

the second lake we will set up a spike camp on is much better situated for grizzly bear..so that will have spike camp on it...

and the 3rd lake is situated a bit higher and has a better view of three sepearte areas for just dall sheep..

My job ??moose calling @ the main lake..keeping the fires going..and the plane safe and secure..

On the spike camps it will be keeping the plane safe and the fires going..:mrgreen:..we will be leaving in a week or so..leaving it as late as possible so the bears will have great hides, the goats will have better hides, and the moose will be in rut..and the snow will make it impossible to spot white sheep..oh ya..it will be tough getting out of the woods 5 star in the am to a frosty morning brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrr

Thanks to the many many folks that sent suggestions..(some of them nice) regarding this area...i appreciate the insights..and time to sned messages..seeing I have never been in this area...

It would have been nice to have had the surgery so I could have went up after the white sheep..but WCB marches to their own drummer..dysfunctional drummer @ best..and at least i get to go camping...call moose..light fires..and glass....

Any updates or ideas or suggestions on this area PLEASE send by PM...so the WCB can find their own place to camp..:evil:

cheers
Srupp

rocksteady
09-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Good for you Rupp.... High fives and ass slaps all around !!!!

Glad to hear you are getting better and are going on a hunting trip...It will be good for your mental health...

Sorry I did not get a hold of you for a beer when I was up fighting fire in your neck of the woods, I was a little too busy :mrgreen:

ufishifish2
09-09-2010, 10:54 AM
That's awesome. Have fun babysitting the plane Srupp. While you are sitting there by the warm and cozy fire, imagine the poor ******* with the chitty desk job who's working at WorksafeBC trying to screw people out of what the deserve. I think I'd rather did ditches meself.
Best of luck on the hunt Srupp!

BlacktailStalker
09-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Those woods bags partnered with a cabelas xl cot and foam pad is the cats ass, I look forward to sleeping on mine every year.
It sure does make it hard to crawl out of the sack early when the fire has gone out in the wall tent !

srupp
09-09-2010, 11:38 AM
lmao...thats EXACTLY the cot I ordered..the xl..with foam pad and cot side organizer.... we have a propane heater for the AM..Tim bought the tent and it doesnt have a stove vent yet..so unfortunatley no wood heat..

steven

luckynuts
09-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Where there's a will there's a way.. Glad your giving it a shot. Best of luck and if nothing else enjoy the time with your good buds. That's what I look forward to every moose hunt, catching up with my buds telling lies.. errr I mean stories:-D by the fire and calling in moose, nothing better IMHO. have fun

W.

IronNoggin
09-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Best of Luck Steve! Go Get Em Buddy! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Matt

700bdl
09-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Awesome, can't wait to see the pics.

stroh72
09-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Do you need a cook?????

2slow
09-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Sounds like an awesome time. Good luck on your trip.

blackbart
09-09-2010, 01:27 PM
At the risk of being chastised by some members who may view things differently I would suggest that WCB is doing their job. By monitoring the non-work activities of persons with claims they are actually looking to clamp down on fraud and thereby improve the service to those that may need it.

I am not suggesting that Steve's claim is not valid.

srupp
09-09-2010, 01:39 PM
sorry blackbart...3 months investigation rather than ask me..what i was up to..any EXCUSE to deny surgery..when I did the interview..the guy agreed i told the complete truth...he aslo added that I should consider a job in the writing dept after my carreer is over..:mrgreen:..

I appreciate your view..however sitting in a boat fishing isnt exactly strenuous..at least not the way i do it..:mrgreen:

HOWEVER PLEASE lets restrict this to my trip and plane sitting moosecalling camping trip....

cheers
Steven

BimmerBob
09-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Excellent news Steven, hope you have the best of success.

Can you do me a favour though? Take lots of pictures of the camps setup and tents inside and out and post them in the Camp Set Ups thread for all of us to see.

I have a new tent on order but have yet to order cots and ancilliary equipment for my new luxury so am interested in other setups to see how the experienced guys do things...

Thanks in advance and good luck, stay safe!

Bob

Rodd
09-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Sounds like a dream I have been having for many years now...... What a hunt of a lifetime you guys have put together, it takes lots of organization to make a trip like that happen..... Best of Luck to your whole crew, and can't wait to see some pictures! If the plane starts talking to you, you've been there too long.... LOL

Leaseman
09-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Geez Buddy my invitation must have got lost in the mail......:mrgreen:

Got time to stop by FSJ and pick up a package for me......:wink:

Give me a shout when you have a moment.... been too long!

srupp
09-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Hi Rodd...ya months and months and months of organization seriously,and at least 25 folks I have chatted with..even went to 100 mile the other day to meet up with old Harley...:mrgreen:..my garage is packed to the ceiling with gear..literally will fill the 1 ton long box pickup..plus boat overtop on rack..

Having guided makes the organizational part somewhat easier..knowing what works and what doesnt...

Yup sure will take some photos..of camp and such..

Hi MIKE called today no answer..sure will stop by and pick up the package..WHATS HER NAME??and does she snore??:eek:..

I am sure I personally am taking $20,000 worth of gear NOT including the truck..but Rollie is bringing a plane on floats..so he has me beat..:mrgreen:

cheers
Steven

ursus
09-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Tampons? WTH:eek:. Have you ever been asked by the CO's why you have them in your truck or camp with 4 men around?
Ahhh I know the trick! Hey good luck and be safe!

srupp
09-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Hi Tony ya the tampons have been the subject of numerous raised eyebrows, quisical looks and yes even questions by those brave enough to ask..they REALLY do work well..they absorb a LOT of moose in heat urine..and they stand out against the folliage..and are cheap and lightweight...work like a charm...

I always shrug my shoulders when asked and say.." I dunno they are TIMS"..lmao..

cheers
Steven:mrgreen:

warnniklz
09-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Solid idea (tampons) for my moose trip come November. I'll probably need them to soak up my tears of sadness when my brother and rookie friend both miss huge bulls or wipe tears of joy when I drop one. But the estrus idea should work none the less.

Leaseman
09-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Hi Rodd...ya months and months and months of organization seriously,and at least 25 folks I have chatted with..even went to 100 mile the other day to meet up with old Harley...:mrgreen:..my garage is packed to the ceiling with gear..literally will fill the 1 ton long box pickup..plus boat overtop on rack..

Having guided makes the organizational part somewhat easier..knowing what works and what doesnt...

Yup sure will take some photos..of camp and such..

Hi MIKE called today no answer..sure will stop by and pick up the package..WHATS HER NAME??and does she snore??:eek:..

I am sure I personally am taking $20,000 worth of gear NOT including the truck..but Rollie is bringing a plane on floats..so he has me beat..:mrgreen:

cheers
Steven

Yes, well some of us have to work once in awhile too! Just had a nice talk with Susan.....:mrgreen:

Give me a shout Friday....(leave a message!!)

BromBones
09-09-2010, 05:01 PM
That sounds like a great trip in the making.

Good luck and straight shooting.

kennyj
09-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime coming up Steven.
Hope you have a great trip.
kenny

Mik
09-09-2010, 06:33 PM
That's some serious LEH's. Wishing you the best of luck..... Every camp could use a cook/moose caller and camp lookout! Have you ever usedthe "moose scent sticks" ?

srupp
09-09-2010, 07:55 PM
no have not used the scent sticks.....

steven

09-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Be safe Steven,
Have a great time sounds too much like a very cool adventure! Take lots of pic's, keep the fish and game out of the float plane unless you have lots of Duct tape.

Straight shootin!
and Good luck !
CT

srupp
09-11-2010, 11:09 AM
WOWZERS..cant believe we really need all this stuff...looks like TWO one ton truck trips..:mrgreen: sure glad I didnt buy a Ford Ranger..:wink:..

Building a shelf in the back of the pickup box so we have 2 levels to pack stuff and if we get any game it can rest on the plastic box liner with gear safetly above it on the rack..

whew....

gun range, and a couple more chores and a couple more shifts @ work and its Pasta Lasagna...:confused:

steven

Springer
09-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Pictures Elmer ,Pictures !!! remember to take lots and get-em on here as soon as you get back please.
Now I am trying to picture The Srupp at the till with only tampons ..Uh um yes their for the Mrs...
Don't forget to say their Tim's if the C.O checks you along the way. He's so bad about slipping things like that in your pack.:mrgreen:

Sure glad your going to make the trip ,even with the bad knees.

Cheers Bro.

srupp
09-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks Phil...a new old man big and lazy chair for main camp and a new delux XL camp cot...cant be any easier well at least comfortable..:mrgreen:

with so many tags for so many species it makes the job of ensureing we have the correct gear for the correct application...

hmmm just thought of something..a food /equipment drop for the mountain ??? makes the climbing for the boyz easier...HMMMM

looking forward to the xl camp cot with the 2" foam pad AND then a soft pillow and a woods 5 star sleeping bag WITH liner...:mrgreen:...call moose right from the fire pit...glasss for goats from camp for the boyz...and watch for mr G bear...

Steven

Photos???hmmm lol...maybe one or 2

srupp
09-14-2010, 12:17 PM
PRODUCT EVALUATION..

CABELLAS CAMP COT OUTFITTERS XL...

I receieved this from the Winnipeg/ Canadian store..guys this ones a WINNER..I HIGHLY recomend this camp cot..it is way sturdy serious camp cot..has steel that is thick and beefy and the legs all have joints that prevent racking and buckling..will hold 1200 pounds..

the material is stretched taunt and the set up is relatively easy..and there are NO SAGS..comfortable even without the mattress pad..there are 3 sets of legs that means the centre 2 prevent sag and help support your weight...PRIMO..

The complimentry = FREE nite stand hands along one side of the camp cot..its is full length and has room for lots of nessessities..rifle, cloths, T/P flashlite, clock...handy..functional well built

The mattres pad is 2 " thick is good quality foam and rolls up with the integrated straps..its attaches at the head end and foot end and has a strap for under tha mat and around the cot this mat is STAYING IN PLACE OVERNIGHT no shifting here...comfortable.

The cot is extremely comfortable, no sags and is plenty wide and long..

I tried to convince Susan to jump on to test the strength of the cot however she wasnt falling for the "innocent jump on the mattress cot trick""".....again..lol:wink:...

When I rolled over from right to left or flipped onto my bakc the cot DID NOT SHIFT it felt perfectly..PERFECTLY STABLE..their was plenty of cushion to my hips and there is no centre stretching bar in the centre 2 legs for pressure points..

Well thought out, EXTREMELLY well designed, supurb materials and the results is luxurious..

It has room UNDER THE COT for 2 considerably sized gear bags or packs..so the footprint may actually be smaller with your gear stored under your cot.

I am a gear "early adopter" I ENJOY searching out the latest and the greatest..I STUDY gear and what works and what doesnt..and I do no mind paying slightly more for the best..what DOES work..reliability from day 1..

Now this is NOT a pack in bed for a sheep hunt..:mrgreen: however in a wall tent or base camp it is THE BEST OUT THERE..HIGHLY recomended....
It comes in at 26 pounds of steel and serious canvas l;ike material..and has a pack bag included..

The deal out of Cabelas USA is a better one..4 piece for $209 USD...

but the bed is THE ONE you want..

cheers

and sweet dreams..

Steven

chilcotin hillbilly
09-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Good luck on the hunt, and take it easy on the knee. See you when you get back.
Doug

BimmerBob
09-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the cot info Steven, I just went through the Cabelas order process for the combo setup. Cabelas Canada price was $390 vs the US price of under $285 shipped to a Blaine PO Outlet. Cabelas Canada really needs to clean up their act, much better selection and prices at the US site and even that had roadblocks that could only be overcome by phoning their 800 number and ordering it with an agent.

srupp
09-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Hi Bob..great to talk with you earlier..like I said you will not be dissapointed in fact Iam certain you will STILL be surprised by the quality of this said item..

I finally did get Susan to see if two folks could share this cot..yup:wink:...tricked her again..lol

I certainly DID get screwed...with the Canadian purchase..(not what you guys were thinking...:wink: ) was WAY more expensive in Canada..

let me know what you think...about the cot..

cheers
teven

2slow
09-14-2010, 04:14 PM
PRODUCT EVALUATION..

CABELLAS CAMP COT OUTFITTERS XL...

I receieved this from the Winnipeg/ Canadian store..guys this ones a WINNER..I HIGHLY recomend this camp cot..it is way sturdy serious camp cot..has steel that is thick and beefy and the legs all have joints that prevent racking and buckling..will hold 1200 pounds..

the material is stretched taunt and the set up is relatively easy..and there are NO SAGS..comfortable even without the mattress pad..there are 3 sets of legs that means the centre 2 prevent sag and help support your weight...PRIMO..

The complimentry = FREE nite stand hands along one side of the camp cot..its is full length and has room for lots of nessessities..rifle, cloths, T/P flashlite, clock...handy..functional well built

The mattres pad is 2 " thick is good quality foam and rolls up with the integrated straps..its attaches at the head end and foot end and has a strap for under tha mat and around the cot this mat is STAYING IN PLACE OVERNIGHT no shifting here...comfortable.

The cot is extremely comfortable, no sags and is plenty wide and long..

I tried to convince Susan to jump on to test the strength of the cot however she wasnt falling for the "innocent jump on the mattress cot trick""".....again..lol:wink:...

When I rolled over from right to left or flipped onto my bakc the cot DID NOT SHIFT it felt perfectly..PERFECTLY STABLE..their was plenty of cushion to my hips and there is no centre stretching bar in the centre 2 legs for pressure points..

Well thought out, EXTREMELLY well designed, supurb materials and the results is luxurious..

It has room UNDER THE COT for 2 considerably sized gear bags or packs..so the footprint may actually be smaller with your gear stored under your cot.

I am a gear "early adopter" I ENJOY searching out the latest and the greatest..I STUDY gear and what works and what doesnt..and I do no mind paying slightly more for the best..what DOES work..reliability from day 1..

Now this is NOT a pack in bed for a sheep hunt..:mrgreen: however in a wall tent or base camp it is THE BEST OUT THERE..HIGHLY recomended....
It comes in at 26 pounds of steel and serious canvas l;ike material..and has a pack bag included..

The deal out of Cabelas USA is a better one..4 piece for $209 USD...

but the bed is THE ONE you want..

cheers

and sweet dreams..

Steven

I have the exact same cot for our wall tent setup. I do find the cot after a night of sleep will be sagged in the middle so this year I am getting a foam pad for it.
You are going to be so happy with that purchase and all your buddies are gonna be green with envy.
enjoy
here is a link to a youtube video with a couple of these setup in the wall tent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PkFAM0PS50

huntcoop
09-14-2010, 04:17 PM
I've had the Cabelas Outfitter XL for 5 years now and it still looks and feels like brand new. One of the best purchases I've made.