PDA

View Full Version : They've finally Started !!

ydouask
09-09-2010, 08:13 AM
After a mostly quiet August and early September the ELK have TURNED IT ON. :-D:-D:-D They practised all night last night. For a while there I was starting to think that some litter-bug had left a set of the new regs out there where those Cows could study them.:wink: 22 more sleeps for those of you who approved of the new Elk season in Region 4. I'm sure NONE of the guys who so strongly DISSAPROVED of the scrapping of the LEH will be hunting in the West Kootenay... RIGHT ????

BCrams
09-09-2010, 08:26 AM
After a mostly quiet August and early September the ELK have TURNED IT ON. :-D:-D:-D They practised all night last night. For a while there I was starting to think that some litter-bug had left a set of the new regs out there where those Cows could study them.:wink: 22 more sleeps for those of you who approved of the new Elk season in Region 4. I'm sure NONE of the guys who so strongly DISSAPROVED of the scrapping of the LEH will be hunting in the West Kootenay... RIGHT ????

That must have got you going for the elk hunting this year.

Last weekend was a great weekend up in the Peace. Went up for 2 1/2 days and we had bulls calling.

Sat night - couldn't get the 6 count on a tank of a bodied bull due to timber and facing square on.

Sun morn - moved in on a big 6 point but partner spooked the bull (he didn't see it and when I walked up, I instantly saw the bull but it was too late)....caught up to him a km later with 3 cows but no shot offered as he was moving and also in front of 2 cows while the 3rd walked towards us and did the alarm bark before tearing off.

Sun night - bull answered 5 x from a ridge 200 yards away right at dark but couldn't find him Monday morning.

I am pretty sure all those who dissapproved the new elk season are secretly planning to hunt hard to see if they can get a great chance at a big bull. It may have created a dilemma for all those who made their annual elk hunts to the east Kootenays on whether to use that time to hunt at 'home'. I know for a fact, some folks I know down there can't wait for the season to open up.

luckynuts
09-09-2010, 11:55 AM
I was just talking with a fellow this morning out here at work and he said they have been bugling for a bit though mostly 8-9 pm and really early in the morning like 3-4am. Hey BCRams were you in Backcountry last week?

W.

rocksteady
09-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Not a whole bunch of bugling where I have been hunting, but hopefully that will improve...

"I'm sure NONE of the guys who so strongly DISSAPROVED of the scrapping of the LEH will be hunting in the West Kootenay... RIGHT ????"

I dissaproved and will not be hunting the WK...

ydouask
09-10-2010, 08:26 AM
I was kinda looking forward to an Archery Elk season in the old LEH areas but that didn't happen so we'll be going to the Eat Kootenays for our annual Elk Hunt as usual. Have no desire to be all cammoed-up , bow in hand, sneaking around between Oct. 1-20 in the WK.. hope eveyone is going to be very careful out there.