PDA

View Full Version : so close.... damn it

brock77
09-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Been spotting a 6x6 for acouple of days.....finally had the opporunity to go after him....
After whatching him bed down for the night, made plans with the bro in-law to go after him...Up at 5:00 AM on the trail and up the mountain @ 5:30., 1hr 1/2 later come to the top of the ridge, sit and cow call a few times no answer.? bugel once and get an answer...hes on the next ridge over.......
Make a plan to head over there..bro-inlaw will be doing the calling and i will be the lucky one to give the shaft to this bull (first elk, first bow kill):mrgreen:anyway.....as we are heading up and over the ridge we get to a spot....im going to go get set up and bro in-law is going to stay and start calling when im set up...i take two steps and this bull lights up:eek: maybe 40 yards away,,,,hollllyyyyy chit looks like im setting up here. Bro in-law goes back down the ridge starts calling....10-15 min go by i can here him, but cant see him.
i range trees 25 35 yrds and look for shooting laines.....another 10-15 min go by, i here him comming in closer......there's his body on the other side of some willow/alder brush(my heart is racing, my legs shaking)....then blamo his head pops in to the opening(so close i can see inside his ear and the pupil in his eye)....just his head.
All he has to do is take two more steps for me to draw, as his head will be behind another bush....im as still as possible...he's about to take a step.. and turn his head and spots me there..and takes off down into to the bush i cow call a 3-4 times to stop him, but now way was he stopping......holllly chit that was close, how close was he???? i range the bush 11 yards....i had to neal down after that cause my legs were shaking so damn bad....LOL
What a rush, man that was great, i can still see him every time i close my eyes ,i see his head right there....... man i love bow hunting:mrgreen: lol

pg83
09-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Awesome experience, best of luck finding him again!

killman
09-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Awesome! that is what it is all about.

thetackdriver
09-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Oh man theres nothing better then having elk bugling that close. deffinetly gets your heart pumping. Its wat keeps you going back for more

Spy
09-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Been spotting a 6x6 for acouple of days.....finally had the opporunity to go after him....
After whatching him bed down for the night, made plans with the bro in-law to go after him...Up at 5:00 AM on the trail and up the mountain @ 5:30., 1hr 1/2 later come to the top of the ridge, sit and cow call a few times no answer.? bugel once and get an answer...hes on the next ridge over.......
Make a plan to head over there..bro-inlaw will be doing the calling and i will be the lucky one to give the shaft to this bull (first elk, first bow kill):mrgreen:anyway.....as we are heading up and over the ridge we get to a spot....im going to go get set up and bro in-law is going to stay and start calling when im set up...i take two steps and this bull lights up:eek: maybe 40 yards away,,,,hollllyyyyy chit looks like im setting up here. Bro in-law goes back down the ridge starts calling....10-15 min go by i can here him, but cant see him.
i range trees 25 35 yrds and look for shooting laines.....another 10-15 min go by, i here him comming in closer......there's his body on the other side of some willow/alder brush(my heart is racing, my legs shaking)....then blamo his head pops in to the opening(so close i can see inside his ear and the pupil in his eye)....just his head.
All he has to do is take two more steps for me to draw, as his head will be behind another bush....im as still as possible...he's about to take a step.. and turn his head and spots me there..and takes off down into to the bush i cow call a 3-4 times to stop him, but now way was he stopping......holllly chit that was close, how close was he???? i range the bush 11 yards....i had to neal down after that cause my legs were shaking so damn bad....LOL
What a rush, man that was great, i can still see him every time i close my eyes ,i see his head right there....... man i love bow hunting:mrgreen: lol

Nice story Brock77.I know the feeling,What a rush!:-D
I hope you get him.

trigger
09-09-2010, 07:39 AM
thats what keeps us going back for more. Its like the big fish that got off right at the boat. All you can do is try again. Thanks for sharing

ydouask
09-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Yahooo... it is so good when they're that close to you ! Gettin' all wound up reading your story... thank you for the excitement. Hope you get a shot !